AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After this the "Black Torus" will lead all others.Vutec,curved screen pioneers,lead the charge.Suggestion for new screen is the Black Diamond.

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry, but what are you talking about? A new kind of screen, a projector, what?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Vutec is coming out with a new fixed screen "material". It is actually an acrylic screen that is 3/8" thick. It has a gain of 2.8 and a very wide viewing angle (although the exact angle esacpes me at this moment). Here's the catch...it is a black screen. Pure black. I have no idea how they did it but I'm going to find out at Cedia this year.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
842 Posts
No kidding Pals I've been talking about this screen for the pas two moths you forgot to mation 60.1 contrast ratio, I learned about when I personaly talked to a guy in Vutec.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Quote:
I believe that this is a REAR PROJECTION screen.
If this screen can make gray blacks look darker while keeping high brightness/contrast , I don't care if it's a direct view screen.

I've been to their site though, and they have no mentioning for such screen.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
They say the material has no hotspotting and it has a gain for the upper end of the gray scaler while enhancing the black level.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
835 Posts
Really, some of those claims are rather outrageous. No hotspotting? I imagine they are pulling the extra light out of the nether regions of a parallel universe! There's no free lunch, they must be getting the light from somewhere.

I've seen a prototype at Infocomm and it is quite impressive, but not in the ways that Vutec says. There is a quite pronounced fall-off as you move off-axis, but the screen was a little small to evaluate hotspotting.

Jason said that they claimed the viewing angle is wide, it's not that wide. Perhaps wide for a 2.8 gain screen...

60:1 contrast ratio sounds like it was pulled out of someone's ... you know.

It was quite interesting and I look forward to a closer look, but it doesn't quite meet the early hype surrounding it on this forum.

I should also mention that as a rigid acrylic screen it is going to be quite expensive just for the materials. There's a reason why you rarely see rigid rear-projection in home theatre.

BTW, it was shown as a *front* projection screen and it was quite dark.

Regards,

Kam Fung

[This message has been edited by KFung (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
835 Posts
Could be! I only saw it as front projection. I wonder if they meant the same technology could be used as front or rear projection? It's difficult to believe their claims if it can simultaneously function as a front and rear screen.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kam,

Stewart(et all)better get cracking!Imagine seeing the market walk away.(Grayhawk)

major breakthru-some PJ owners dont have to use sunglasses all the time in quest of contrast/black.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif PS its still no Torus.

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.