AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19598940

Hi guys, do u know if there is a non original VW-VH04 cheaper to buy ?

I need just the VW-VH04 cable without the battery.

Thank you

From what I've seen around on the web, it cost between $60-$90 depending where you look. For that price you can get easily 2 to 3 genuine Panasonic VW-VBG260 batteries from eBay. Why would you carry a pouch with a wire hanging out of it to your camcorder? Unless you've already got a VW-VBG6 battery...

If so, the lowest price I've seen is about $55. Otherwise, I doubt that there is a non-Panasonic alternative out there...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19599011

From what I've seen around on the web, it cost between $60-$90 depending where you look. For that price you can get easily 2 to 3 genuine Panasonic VW-VBG260 batteries from eBay. Why would you carry a pouch with a wire hanging out of it to your camcorder? Unless you've already got a VW-VBG6 battery...

If so, the lowest price I've seen is about $55. Otherwise, I doubt that there is a non-Panasonic alternative out there...

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I already own 1 VW-VBG6 battery..

I was thinking to parallel connect 2 of them to increase the hour duration and double it.

Anyway, now with your reply I got another idea.

Buy 2 VW-VBG6 battery chargers.

Open them

Parallel connect them

Use the vsk0696 AC/DC wire (the one that gets connected to the back of the camcorder) and modify it so that it can gets connected to the 2 parallel connected VW-VBG6 battery chargers.

Thanks for the reply.

I think tx to you I got another cheaper idea....

This is to have the possibility to power on the camcorder for 12 hours.

I let run the camcorder and record overnight, when camping....

Do u know any cheap VW-VBG6 replacement (non original) ?

Thank you

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19599543

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I already own 1 VW-VBG6 battery..

I was thinking to parallel connect 2 of them to increase the hour duration and double it.

Anyway, now with your reply I got another idea.

Buy 2 VW-VBG6 battery chargers.

Open them

Parallel connect them

Use the vsk0696 AC/DC wire (the one that gets connected to the back of the camcorder) and modify it so that it can gets connected to the 2 parallel connected VW-VBG6 battery chargers.

Thanks for the reply.

I think tx to you I got another cheaper idea....

This is to have the possibility to power on the camcorder for 12 hours.

I let run the camcorder and record overnight, when camping....

Do u know any cheap VW-VBG6 replacement (non original) ?

Thank you

The way you describe your modifications would mean that no battery remaining power would be displayed in the camcorder. Also, the DC connector in the back of the camcorder is expecting 9.3 volts (because of internal voltage regulators), not 7.2 volts.

Moreover, these camcorders were not meant to be powered-on for 12 hours or more at a time...(even for time lapse, as I suspect you would try).

Page 142 of the Operating Manual for the TM700 states:"This unit was designed for consumer intermittent use...In certain situations, continuous use could cause the unit to overheat and cause a malfunction. Such use is strongly discouraged."

So if you still do, just make sure it's not a hot summer day (or night).

My two cents on it...

Sorry, I don't know of cheap VW-VBG6 replacements. I just know of VW-VBG260 genuine Panasonic being available on eBay from different Asian sources at lower prices than in stores.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19599987

The way you describe your modifications would mean that no battery remaining power would be displayed in the camcorder. Also, the DC connector in the back of the camcorder is expecting 9.3 volts (because of internal voltage regulators), not 7.2 volts.

Moreover, these camcorders were not meant to be powered-on for 12 hours or more at a time...(even for time lapse, as I suspect you would try).

Page 142 of the Operating Manual for the TM700 states:"This unit was designed for consumer intermittent use...In certain situations, continuous use could cause the unit to overheat and cause a malfunction. Such use is strongly discouraged."

So if you still do, just make sure it's not a hot summer day (or night).

My two cents on it...

Sorry, I don't know of cheap VW-VBG6 replacements. I just know of VW-VBG260 genuine Panasonic being available on eBay from different Asian sources at lower prices than in stores.

Thank u, anyway I did a similar project for the xr550 and so far works great.

I am wondering and I have to check if also for the sony has this internal voltage regulator......

If it does not work with 1 battery pack connected to the hs350 via ac/dv, is not going to work with 2.

Lets see, I will keep u posted if u want, just for curiosity....

In the worst scenario, I have to buy the asian cheaper one...

Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19600324

...Lets see, I will keep u posted if u want, just for curiosity....

That would be great. I'm curious as to the behavior of the camcorder when powered by a battery but through the DC connector...

One thing I'm certain of, is the lack of digital communications with the monitoring chips inside the battery. Anyway, there's no danger of damaging the camcorder, except if you reverse the polarity. So be careful!

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19600425

That would be great. I'm curious as to the behavior of the camcorder when powered by a battery but through the DC connector...

One thing I'm certain of, is the lack of digital communications with the monitoring chips inside the battery. Anyway, there's no danger of damaging the camcorder, except if you reverse the polarity. So be careful!

Keep us posted.

for the xr550 it works perfectly....mounting batteries through the ac/dc

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a feedback.

I connected the VW-VBG6 battery to the AC/DC connector/input of the hs350 using

a VW-VBG6 battery charger, and I get the message :

This battery pack is not working...or something like that.

I guess it means that there is some kind of protection in the camcorder so that it is not possible to power up the camcorder using a VW-VBG6 battery pack connected to the camcorder through the AC/DC input.

We have to buy the vw-vh04.

Now my question would be,

can i parallel connect two vw-vh04 together and they will recognized by the camcorder...I am o courious about it, but it is kind of expensive to try...

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/0

Just a feedback.

I connected the VW-VBG6 battery to the AC/DC connector/input of the hs350 using

a VW-VBG6 battery charger, and I get the message :

This battery pack is not working...or something like that.

I guess it means that there is some kind of protection in the camcorder so that it is not possible to power up the camcorder using a VW-VBG6 battery pack connected to the camcorder through the AC/DC input.

We have to buy the vw-vh04.

Now my question would be,

can i parallel connect two vw-vh04 together and they will recognized by the camcorder...I am o courious about it, but it is kind of expensive to try...

The reason for the error message you saw is, like I've stated before, that the camcorder is expecting 9.3v through that DC connector. Since you are connecting a 7.2v battery there, the camcorder knows it's a battery and not a power supply. And thus it wants to be able to communicate with de battery to gather info about its remaining power capacity. It obviously cannot because the communications wires from the battery are not connected.

The message would read: "This battery cannot be used." even though the camcorder powers up fine for about 20 seconds. It's only a question of the lack of communications with the internal digital circuits inside the battery. So even if you connect 2 batteries in parallel, the voltage will still be only 7.2v and the camcorder will still display the same error message and shut down soon after.

Your best solution would be to try to find the lowest price on a VW-VH04.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19613314

The reason for the error message you saw is, like I've stated before, that the camcorder is expecting 9.3v through that DC connector. Since you are connecting a 7.2v battery there, the camcorder knows it's a battery and not a power supply. And thus it wants to be able to communicate with de battery to gather info about its remaining power capacity. It obviously cannot because the communications wires from the battery are not connected.

The message would read: "This battery cannot be used." even though the camcorder powers up fine for about 20 seconds. It's only a question of the lack of communications with the internal digital circuits inside the battery. So even if you connect 2 batteries in parallel, the voltage will still be only 7.2v and the camcorder will still display the same error message and shut down soon after.

Your best solution would be to try to find the lowest price on a VW-VH04.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

everything makes sense.

So do u think it could work parallel connecting two VW-VH04 ?

or

eu u think is going to work if I cut the wire of the vw-vh04 that I already own and I parallel connect it to the base of a VW-VBG6 battery charger that I could use as battery holder for the other VW-VBG6 battery pack (I can open this last one and get the + and - wires and parallel connect them to the + and - wires of the vw-vh04 ). Doing this I will ose anyway the third wire that tells to the camcorder how much battery is left...but I do not care.

Do u think this second option could work ?

Thank you

Thank you

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19617936

...Do u think this second option could work ?

In a word: no.

Sorry.

If I wanted to power my camcorder for 12 hours (maximum continuous recording time), I would buy a relatively inexpensive 300 watts inverter (produces household power from a 12v car battery when going camping for using household appliances) which could power the Panasonic battery charger used to power the camera (cost around $40).

Since the power-supply/battery charger consumes about 20 watts, that combination should power the camera for about 15 hours of continuous use.

Of course carrying a car battery would be a little on the heavy side! LOL

But you could always bring a car, too! ;oD

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And why u think is not going to work my idea ?

I mean with the sony worked....

On the peek of a mounting is difficoult to carry a car battery or bring the car ....

Could pls be more specific in why u think is not going to work ?

tx

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi
And why u think is not going to work my idea ?

I mean with the sony worked....

On the peek of a mounting is difficoult to carry a car battery or bring the car ....

Could pls be more specific in why u think is not going to work ?

tx
Simply because, as I have stated before, when supplying 7.2v to the Panasonic camcorder it will want to communicate with the battery. And unless you connect ALL 4 wires marked + D T - from the battery connector to the camera, it will only power-up for a few seconds and display the error message:"This battery cannot be used." and then shut itself off.

It might work on a Sony, but I'm pretty sure it won't on a Panasonic.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19624331

Simply because, as I have stated before, when supplying 7.2v to the Panasonic camcorder it will want to communicate with the battery. And unless you connect ALL 4 wires marked + D T - from the battery connector to the camera, it will only power-up for a few seconds and display the error message:"This battery cannot be used." and then shut itself off.

It might work on a Sony, but I'm pretty sure it won't on a Panasonic.

So what about parallel connecting the + and - and serial connecting D and T , buying another VW-VH04 ?

I opened my VW-VH04 and there are 7 wires inside:

Red = I guess +

Black = I guess -

White = I do not know what this is

Yellow = I do not know what this is

Brown = I do not know what this is

2 Big black plastic protected wires, with inside silver colored metallic electric wire = I do not know what these are

Do u have any idea what all the other color are ?

Which are D and T and should I also connect the other color in serial or in parallel ?

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19628839

So what about parallel connecting the + and - and serial connecting D and T , buying another VW-VH04 ?

I opened my VW-VH04 and there are 7 wires inside:

Red = I guess +

Black = I guess -

White = I do not know what this is

Yellow = I do not know what this is

Brown = I do not know what this is

2 Big black plastic protected wires, with inside silver colored metallic electric wire = I do not know what these are

Do u have any idea what all the other color are ?

Which are D and T and should I also connect the other color in serial or in parallel ?

If you don't know the answers to all these questions, maybe you shouldn't tinker with these things after all...Unless you want to possibly end-up with a busted camcorder?

It's not that I don't want to help you out, but I don't want to feel responsible if you do something wrong along the way and possibly hurt yourself (exploding battery cell) or bust your expensive camcorder.

So, if there is someone else willing to help, let them be my guest.

Even though I have some technical knowledge and experience in electronics under my belt, I draw the line here. As I've realized that too much of your tampering is based on guess work on your part.

Better safe than sorry, in your case.

Alain.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19629693

If you don't know the answers to all these questions, maybe you shouldn't tinker with these things after all...Unless you want to possibly end-up with a busted camcorder?

It's not that I don't want to help you out, but I don't want to feel responsible if you do something wrong along the way and possibly hurt yourself (exploding battery cell) or bust your expensive camcorder.

So, if there is someone else willing to help, let them be my guest.

Even though I have some technical knowledge and experience in electronics under my belt, I draw the line here. As I've realized that too much of your tampering is based on guess work on your part.

Better safe than sorry, in your case.

Alain.

Thnkas , but even if u do not reply to this post, I am going to go ahead and do it alone and be careful. So do not worry to be sorry. I am going to go ahead alone.

I wish u could help me, but if u do not want, I can not force u to do that. I may ask around somewhere else or take my chances

What I think to do, is leave the other 5 wires alone and just take the + and - and parallel connect them. I have a parallel connector that I bought already made and I use for the other camcorder. So pratically, I am going to connect the + and - wires after . I mean, I am going to cheat the camcorder and let him think that the battery has just more milli-ampere.

I take the VW-VH04 battery holder. I open it and I take the + and - wires , I cut them in the middle so that 1 hand remain connected to the VW-VH04 battery holder and hence the battery pack, and I connect these + and - wires to other + and - wires coming from another battery pack , using a generic battery holder (battery charger holder), So again in this way I parallel connect the + and - wires, so that the camcorder thinks that I have 1 only battery pack of double capacity of the original one.

In this way, I do not have to cut anything else...

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/0

Thnkas , but even if u do not reply to this post, I am going to go ahead and do it alone and be careful. So do not worry to be sorry. I am going to go ahead alone.

I wish u could help me, but if u do not want, I can not force u to do that. I may ask around somewhere else or take my chances

Tx

Feel free to do so, and I sincerely wish you good luck with your project, and hope everything works out for you.

One very last hint: watch the polarity VERY carefully each step of the way, and write down notes and compare often while identifying wire colors and their destinations.

See ya.

Alain.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19630759

Feel free to do so, and I sincerely wish you good luck with your project, and hope everything works out for you.

One very last hint: watch the polarity VERY carefully each step of the way, and write down notes and compare often while identifying wire colors and their destinations.

See ya.

Alain.

I always do, I have a meter, and I already parallel connected many things.

Again, I am not going to cut all 7 wires, just 2, the + and the - and I have a industrial made parallel connector, so there is no way to make mistakes, it is just about looking at the colors and than to be sure, check the end of the conncetion with the meter to see the voltage and if + and - are in teh correct final order before connecting the wire to the camcorder.

Do u think that just parallel connecting the + and - leaving the other wires intact, could be good to cheat the camcorder ?

Thank you

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a feedback for others. Since I usually ask and I do not give things back, I am giving something back to the community, finally.

I created a double battery pack for the hs350 and I think it would also work for the hs/tm700.

The only downsize is that u have to use on 1 of the 2 battery slots, 1 original VW-VBG6 battery pack and 1 original vw-vh04 battery holder. For the other battery pack, I used a NP-F960 6600 mah battery pack and its battery holder that I made from a NP-F960 battery charger.

The camcorder can be powered on for 16 hours and more in this way. Usually if u use just the VW-VBG6 battery pack , u can power it on for just 8 hours.

If u someone is interested in the technical details, I can post them.

The reason why u need an original VW-VBG6 battery pack and vw-vh04 battery holder, is that the panasonic camcorder search from your battery source for not just the + and - connections (see previous posts above).

So I used the original pieces to bypass this panasonic security check and I paralleled connected over the + and - connections of the vw-vh04 battery holder, the + and - connections coming from the NP-F960 6600 mah battery pack that I used as secondary battery source.

In this way you can get double or even triple power juice adding a third battery pack.

If u just use the NP-F960 6600 mah battery pack and u do NOT put a VW-VBG6 battery pack in the vw-vh04 battery holder, the camcorder will turn off. So the VW-VBG6 battery pack it is used for 2 reason:

1) bypass the panasonic security battery check

and of course

2) as primary battery source.

Lets say that the VW-VBG6 battery pack runs out of juice before the secondary battery source (NP-F960 6600 mah battery), the system will turn off, but it is nothing to worry much about, because the 2 or 3 battery packs that u will connect in parallel, will divide by 2 or 3 times the use of power juice , increasing in that way by 2 or 3 times the camcorder power time... (I say 2 or 3 times, because u could use 2 or 3 battery packs connected in parallel)

Tx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.