AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please assist with my dilema, i live in ontario, canada, basically detroit, michigan, and i recently purchased my sony vw10ht lcd projector and am a newbie to broadcast signals, my question is what is my best option/method for receiving the best television signal, preferrably high def....is it digital cable? satallite? antenna with hd decoder? with the vast knowledge on this forum someone please assist me with this question, i really want to use this projector at its fullest.......thanx alot, zeaner

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I have a vw10ht with HDTV. In my area (UTAH, USA) the most HDTV broadcasts are from antenna. I can get 6 channels of prime time HDTV including ABC, CBS, and NBC. You will need to check in your particular area to determine if you have HDTV over-the-air broadcasts and where you are in relation to the transmission point. You will need a very clear path from the transmission tower to your antenna and and receiver. I live about 40 miles away from the transmission and get a clear picture with a basic rooftop antenna.

I also have satellite (Directv) dish. The only channels available right now in HDTV are HDNET, Showtime, and HBO. Showtime and HBO require addition cost to get. HDNET comes with the basic package. I also believe you can get a HD signal from some Pay Per View channels too. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I've never tried. I'm hoping there will be more high definition channels from satellite in the near future.

In my area, there is NO HD cable yet. I don't think that is available yet in most of the U.S.

So, for me, a rooftop antenna with an HDTV receiver is my major source for HD material.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by THXessive
please assist with my dilema, i live in ontario, canada, basically detroit, michigan, and i recently purchased my sony vw10ht lcd projector and am a newbie to broadcast signals, my question is what is my best option/method for receiving the best television signal, preferrably high def....is it digital cable? satallite? antenna with hd decoder? with the vast knowledge on this forum someone please assist me with this question, i really want to use this projector at its fullest.......thanx alot, zeaner
THXessive,

Rogers Cable in Canada has about the best selection of HDTV channels of any cable or satellite provider in North America. If your local cable company is Rogers and they have upgraded to offer HDTV, that would be one excellent option.

Otherwise, you could get the Bell Expressvue receiver that is basically a Canadian-market version of the Dish Network model 6000 receiver. Expressvue currently has two dedicated HD channels, but will move up to complete East and West Coast feeds of all of the US HD broadcast networks. If you are close enough to Detroit, you can use the over the air (OTA) model for the Expressvue HD receiver and an over the air antenna to get all of the digital stations from Detroit too. This would also be an excellent option.

There is also a one meter HD satellite option in Canada. I think it is Star Choice. Use the "search" button at the top of the AVS Forum page and you will learn way more about the availability of HD in Canada than you ever expected to learn. Good luck and great HD viewing!

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.