AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered that someone got a VW11HT for $2000 (Buy Now) on ebay.com. The seller has a lot of positive feed back, so it looks like this one may have been a true bargain!?

There are a few more on there that look a bit fishy, 2 from the same seller who has no feed back and is in LA, but has advertized on ebay.co.uk and another on the UK site who also has no feedback but who gives a full address in Manchester. I have asked if a friend who lives in Manchester (UK) can go and see it. I await a reply!

Kane

·
Registered
758 Posts
I dunno Kane.... looks suspicious to me.

First, all of that "seller's" feedback is as a buyer. They don't have any feedback designated as seller since ebay started tracking B/S feedback.

Second, neither the seller nor the buyer has posted feedback for the other.

And finally (and most notably)... that seller has sold the same projector 3 times in a row now and the winning bidder TWICE was the same person. Also, on one of the auctions (1352836634) it says the seller is in the USA and on the other two (1353379301 and 1354644398) it says they are in Canada.

I doubt anybody really got a 11HT for $2,000. (plus it would make me cry since I paid 3 times that for mine ;) )

·
Registered
6 Posts
There have been a couple of waves of bogus 11HT sales on eBay. I suggest avoiding them like the plague. When I was paying close attention, someone, who had gotten himself a gold star on the basis of buying $2-$3 items had 5 11HT's for sale and 7 "authentic" autographed Michael Jordan jerseys all for sale at the same time.

He would only take a cashiers check, he said, and I had "won" the bid for an 11HT at $2850, though he had closed the auction early (get that!). For that price (then--six months ago), I thought I could take a flight to NY to pick it up as I handed over the check, but my suspicions were working (thankfully).

I checked out the guy, his address and phone number, and no one with his name existed anywhere in the US. The phone number for his exchange was in Manhattan, but his address (an apartment) was on Long Island.

As I was contemplating what I would do, his ID was abruptly yanked from eBay, and I have yet to hear another peep out of him.

At home, I'm now happily watching my 11HT, driven directly by computer in 1368x768, using a Matrox G550.

HF

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kane,

In my eBaying experience a legitmate seller will put a reserve or a starting bid that at least cover's his cost of the item. I haven't seen a legitmate seller (of new projectors) that doesn't at least cover what he has into it. Of course, if he really did own the new projector, and it wasn't stolen, he had more than that in it.

~Dominic

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Escrow Escrow Escrow

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.