AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
That price is a little steep--when I sold mine, I had people bashing me that they could buy *new* for $14-15K.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd love to know where you can find a DVP-5000 for only 14-16K new. List is about 25K, isn't it? My local dealer is trying to sell me a demo unit 3000 for about 16K, but there are some critical differences between those two.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Andy:

Who pays list? :) I can think of one place offhand that I can pick up an A stock 5000 for $16-17K--but the source is sometimes late with deliveries.

I personally haven't seen them lower, but I had 3-4 people yell at me that I was trying to ask for too much when I sold mine 6 months ago...they were the ones alluding to the cheaper A stock ($14-15K) options. Could be grey market, who knows.

I saw a used 3000 go for $5K 3-4 months ago. I would *not* buy a 3000 right now...better (and cheaper) things are coming. Both the 3000/5000 are very long in the tooth and due for replacement in 6-9 months, methinks. When the replacements hit the market, the used prices on the 3000s/5000s will plummet, much like the VP401/301/251 prices plummeted when the 5000/3000/2200 hit the streets.

This very same unit is cross listed at eBay and it's at $8,100 with 5 hours to go. I'm guessing the reserve is $15,995, and I can all but guarantee you that he won't get it. Trust me, I have purcahsed a 5000 used and sold it--at no where near these prices.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sill looking for used unit!

The unit on ebay is going for dealer pricing so it is not a deal for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm in the process of getting rid of my old VP400 right now, and simply from a price parity standpoint I'll probably wind up replacing it with an NRS because it'll probably be nearly a cost free transaction. My dream, of course, would be to replace it with a 5000 because that's the only unit that really handles HD input the way I'd like it to, I have a mix of hi-def RGB and component sources but they all feed into a Runco 991 Ultra (think NEC 110LC) via RGBHV.

A friend of mine did get a used 3000 for about 8K a year or so ago, but that was used, not demo stock, which the dealer seems to think he can charge more for than a pre-owned unit. I'm not personally interested in the 3000 myself.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Why would you want a DVP 5000 for a 991 Ultra? The all-time perfect match for it is a DVP3000. The 991 is my favorite 8 inch CRT by a long shot, but it won't do 1080P, so save money and pick up a used DVP3000 for as little as $6K if you get lucky, or $8K or $9K if you don't.

An NRS works quite well, too, and you can find a 720P unit for $3.1K new.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 991 Ultra is perfectly capable of 1080p, it has the bandwidth capabilities for that. (I'm pretty sure that the 991 non-ultra will not, though. However, I'd agree that that resolution is overkill for the projector. This is my dream, though, remember? ;-)

In any event, the reason I think the 5000 would work out nicely is because it looks to me like it handles hi-def input (in multiple native resolutions and/or transcoding requirements) in a much more elegant fashion than the pass-through solutions offered by the lower-end models. In and of itself, though, this is not nearly sufficient justification for me to take the huge jump in price tag. I wish they had a unit that did more ability to process an incoming HD signal at a lower overall cost.

·
Registered
100 Posts
"The 991 Ultra is perfectly capable of 1080p, it has the bandwidth capabilities for that." But its CRTs do not have the resolving capability for 1080p, so there will inevitably be some line overlap and loss of resolution compared to, say, the Sony G90.

Steve Goff

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, as I said, actually running it at 1080p would be non-optimal/overkill on the 991, but it will accept the signal.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Andy,

You've missed the point: it will look WORSE at 1080P than it will at 720P or thereabouts. You will definitely have overlap and the picture will look soft instead of razor sharp as it should with a good HD feed. Very few projectors can truly display 1080P. As Steve said, the G90 can, and not many more (EH 9500LC/Vidikron Vision One and maybe a 9 inch Barco, and that's about it).

If anything, you're 991 Ultra is a tad softer than a non-ultra 991, as Jeff Bryngelson, NEC set up man extraordinaire, has pointed out numerous times. Of course, your Ultra has better contrast and image depth than the plain 991 -- more than sufficient compensation in most people's judgment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't missed the point at all. I totally understand the overlap issue. How can I put this any plainer... I'm not buying a 5000. I'm not going to run it at 1080p. I'm most likely going to get an NRS. 'Nuff said? OK then. :) We're done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.