AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new W10000 projector and I'm running it with the following components:

1) Denon AVR 4306 AV Receiver

2) Samsung BD P-1200 Blu Ray player

3) Motorola Comcast HD DVR receiver

I have all the components hooked up into my Denon, and the HDMI out of the Denon going into the W10000.

My problem is when I operate any of the devices through the HDMI port on my W10000, I sometimes get a purple "cast" over the entire picture. It literally looks like someone took a purple filter and put it over the entire picture. The only way to fix this, is to switch inputs on the projector, or a different seleciton on the 4306 and it refreshes the "handshake" of the HDMI and makes the picture look okay. But it happens again during viewing, causing me to refresh the signal again.

It ALWAYS happens with the Comcast DVR Receiver - the only way I can get the picture to look normal is to run it through component which is no big deal.

I originally thought it might be the Denon and some kind of "HDCP" issue - but I removed my Denon from the mix and ran the devices directly to my projector with HDMI, and I still get the same issue.

It's intermittent with the BD-P1200, but the funny thing is when it DOES happen, it takes my "1080p" setting (set within the menu of the BD-P1200) and knocks it back down to 1080i and turns off the "24" playback option.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the projector (the W10000 is only HDMI 1.1 and the BD-P1200 is 1.3 I think) but I know there is something wrong somewhere.

Any ideas?

(Other than this, the picture on the W10000 is phenomenal. I'll be writing a full review soon.)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjetski /forum/post/0

Joe I run everything through a Onkyo 803 with no problems at all on my 10000. Have you tried to change HDMI cables yet?

Dale

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Onkyo HDMI 1.3?

Do you mean buy new HDMI cables? Or just switch around the ones that I have? No - I haven't tried either method - but why do you think that would help? I'm somewhat new to the whole HDMI craze - I had a PS3 and the Comcast box hooked up to my old BenQ 8720 with no problems.

Now that I have a new W10000 with the BD-P1200 (same Comcast box,same Denon receiver, same HDMI cables) I'm having issues.

What kind of HDMI cables do you use? And does length make a difference? Mine are all 6 feet (but they could be shorter if I wanted them to).

Thanks for your help

Joe

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Joe I had a projector ( different brand ) combined with the Sony S1 an when feed 24 would drop the 24 to 1080i as well once in a while and the only thing I could think of that tripping this was maybe the player was hitting bad flag once in a while which was enough to trick the encryption sending it back to 1080i. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan, I think you hit the nail on the head.

This purple is only happening after (or during) I play a standard DVD - it's not happening with any Blu-Ray material. Why do you think it would happen with my Comcast DVR? Just an HDMI handshaking problem?

How should I fix it? Just turn off the 24fps option entirely?

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Przybylski /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Onkyo HDMI 1.3?

Do you mean buy new HDMI cables? Or just switch around the ones that I have? No - I haven't tried either method - but why do you think that would help? I'm somewhat new to the whole HDMI craze - I had a PS3 and the Comcast box hooked up to my old BenQ 8720 with no problems.

Now that I have a new W10000 with the BD-P1200 (same Comcast box,same Denon receiver, same HDMI cables) I'm having issues.

What kind of HDMI cables do you use? And does length make a difference? Mine are all 6 feet (but they could be shorter if I wanted them to).

Thanks for your help

Joe

Joe I have a mixture of HDMI cables all of them are 1.3 compatible. The Onkyo is 1.1, I wished I had a 805 now which is 1.3 for HD-DVD and BD.
I was asking if you tried to swap different cables out since you have more then 1. I have never had a purple line like you have also at 100% overscan. Are you thinking of keeping it or still selling it?

Dale

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Przybylski /forum/post/0

My problem is when I operate any of the devices through the HDMI port on my W10000, I sometimes get a purple "cast" over the entire picture. It literally looks like someone took a purple filter and put it over the entire picture. The only way to fix this, is to switch inputs on the projector, or a different seleciton on the 4306 and it refreshes the "handshake" of the HDMI and makes the picture look okay. But it happens again during viewing, causing me to refresh the signal again.

This sounds like what happens when I set my w9000 CW to 5x without SLR. With SLR is fine, but without SLR it gives a purple hue to everything, especially flesh tones.

·
Registered
611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sharpdog /forum/post/0

This sounds like what happens when I set my w9000 CW to 5x without SLR. With SLR is fine, but without SLR it gives a purple hue to everything, especially flesh tones.

Mine will do the same thing when playing with the CW setting.

Dale

·
Registered
77 Posts
I thought I had mine figured out by setting it to 5X with SLR, but now I still see purple hazing from time to time. It seems to me like black bars are have a shade of purple to them too.

Any Ideas?

1Sharpdog

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had to tell everyone that since I posed this original problem, waaaaay back on 5-27, I'm STILL having problems with this W10000.

I'm on my third replacement (brand new unit) and each unit has had something wrong with it.

The fist two would not display 1080p 24fps properly, and while the newest one displays them properly, now I'm having a problem with strange colors and the menu not holding my personalized settings.

I'm also getting horrible pixelation and banding that I've never seen before.

I would advise people against buying it. Before this I owned an 8700, 8700+ and an 8720, and they were all fantastic. But this W10000 has too many issues.

BenQ, what has happened to you???

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks Joe.
Sorry to hear about your toils and tribulations with this projector.

I think that if I do take a chance on the W10000 as I've been contemplating, I'll be sure to get it from a place with a generous return policy if you know what I mean.

Hope you get this all behind you soon.

Wayne

·
Registered
469 Posts
Joe, i to had those issues ure experiensing the last two weeks, when i upgraded from my older PE8720 to the W9000

Purple colors when switching from TV or Xbox360 to the HTPC. I sometimes got "blue snow" aswell on both the 360 and the PC. The TV tuner never had issues. All 3 connected using HDMI through a Yamaha RX-V2700. From the Yamaha to the PJ i had a 15 meter HDMI cable, not rated for 1080P. So i decided to have it changed for a 12 meter cable that was 1080P rated. Didnt fix anything.

So then, after just having it for about two weeks, i replaced the W9000 for a W10000. Same ******** problem. I tried my old PE8720. Worked like a charm. I then tried the W10000 again, but with all components set to 720P. Worked flawlessly. So then i realized it had to be the 1080P signal requiering more signal strenght or something like that, so i figuerd if it wasnt the cables, it had to be the Yamaha.

I then changed the Yamaha for an Onkyo TX-SR875. When i called the store that sold me the Onkyo and explained my problem the first thing they asked me was : "do you run your HDMI`s through a Denon reciever".

They explained this problem is especially common with those.

But since uve allready tried to remove it from the mix, im a little puzzled. Your HDMI signal is definately whats causing this though. If i were you, id still try and run your components through another reciever, if u can borrow one from someone.

The Onkyo solved it for me.

I hope this helps and that you have the problem resolved.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the W10000 and have seen this purple problem with two components, the new Directv HR-20 DVR and the new Samsung BD-UP5000 HD/BD combo player.

It happens when I switch inputs, although extremely rarely. All my switching goes through Zektor switches, since I don't have a processor that has HDMI switching. My Zektor switches are HDMI5 which then feeds into an MAS71 which then goes to the projector. The DVR is on one of the HDMI5 inputs (which means it daisy chains through the MAS71), and the Samsung BD-UP5000 is on the MAS71. I really don't think it is an issue with the switches, considering other people have had the issue with other HDMI switching, and prior to these two devices in my system, I never saw the problem, and that was with switching an Apple TV, PC, DVD player, HR10-250 Directv HD Tivo, and Xbox360 Elite.

I am happy with the BenQ W10000. It is possible this is a signal locking problem with the BenQ W10000, but my guess it is more about goofy data coming from those sources. Since the W10000 supports 1.3a (not 1.1 was the original post said), I bet there is a data glitch that is causing the W10000 to think it is getting deep color, and tries to interpret the data that way, but those units are not supplying it at the moment or at all.

That purple is a very unique purple. It is R=255, G=0, Blue=255 (open MS Paint and make that a custom color - you will see what I mean). My guess is that there is some sort of numerical shift / garbage due to a miscommunication of what the color depth is during the handshake. I'll research the HDMI stuff a bit more to find the exact cause, but I would not return the project over this. If anything, it is most likely a combination of poor signal strength on the source devices coupled with maybe cable issues.

If the handshake is happening on the DDC lines (anybody know?) then I can be very sure that data corruption is happening and bits are getting flipped. DDC is actually I2C, and without proper line driving (relatively expensive ICs), I2C gets very flaky after about 5 feet. This is not suprising consider it was designed for use on a board between ICs only (I2C = Inter Integrated Circuit). I have designed products with I2C as the bus over 15 feet, and it works fine about 95% of the time without line drivers, which means 5% of the time, we got data corruption and goofy behaviors.

I've already had one bad I2C goof in my system. My PC's video card (ATI) did not drive the DDC channel cleanly, and instead of querying for the EDID data from the projector, it was so goofy that the single bit in I2C for setting the writing mode (the least significant bit in the address) was set, and the stupid ATI card overwrote the first byte of the EDID. No devices that wanted to query the projector for EDID first (like the PC, AppleTV, or Xbox) would recognize it properly, until I used a DOS program that works with Nvidia cards to query and fix the EDID on the BenQ W10000.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yup - I'm sure this is a problem with the I2C quality on the DDC channel, which is the responsibility of the I2C master (which is *not* the display device, but the source component).

From the HDMI 1.1 spec (don't have the newer ones, but this part is fundametanl):
Quote:
The DDC channel is used by an HDMI Source to determine the capabilities and characteristics of

the Sink by reading the E-EDID data structure.

HDMI Sources are expected to read the Sink's E-EDID and to deliver only the audio and video

formats that are supported by the Sink.

I bet something is getting screwy in the handshake here for the video formats, and that is what is causing the purple problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having problems with my W10000 - or rather I think it's my Denon 2807. I run the Toshiba HD-XE1 (Euro version of HD-AX2) and PS3 through the Denon to W10000. 720p, 1080i, 1080p/24 - no problem. 1080p - no go!

Tried to connect the sources directly to W10000 - no more 1080p problems.

Seems like I have to replace my Denon then.

·
Premium Member
13,365 Posts
Sounds like it is locking on to the wrong colorspace and screwing up. I've seen this with some Pioneer flat panels too. Since some sources output different colorspaces, the projector is having trouble locking on correctly (usually has to do with EDID info). The Denon may be the culprit though. Hard to say. Do you have access to another switcher that you can try?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.