AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member here for a while but I'm new to doing anything with a projector. We moved into a new home last month and I now have a 11x12.5 foot room I turned into a mini theater. The display is currently a five year old Panasonic TC-P65V10 Plasma being fed by a Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-Ray player, PS3, and DirecTv Genie via HDMI through a Denon AVR3808ci. The display still looks awesome, especially when compared to the brand new Samsung 55" 6350 series we have downstairs. i have never been a big LCD/LED fan and hate the soap opera effect but it works well in that room with all of the light. Eyes are 10'5" away from the screen in the media room and I have total light control with room darkening curtains and four can lights on a remote Lutron dimmer. The screen wall and ceiling are already painted flat cracked pepper (almost black) and the side walls and back wall are painted a flat dark burgundy color. Because of my dislike for the picture on an LED display, I do not want any of the 70"-80" models currently available and I don't really like the price tags either.

I have measured it out and I can get up to a 106" screen crammed in between my tower speakers. The speakers cannot move due to where the door to the room is. I could probably swap to smaller L/C/R speakers and mount the left and right speakers on the wall and put the center speaker on a stand or get a lower profile equipment cabinet and be able to fit a 120" screen. I do not want to go down the road of in wall speakers in case I decide to do something different in the future because I don't want to be patching sheet rock. so, I'm good with a 100" up to a 106" fixed mount screen.

I have been looking at projectors and playing with the calculators. The projector could be mounted as far away as the lens being 11' or maybe just a tad further from the screen to as close as 5 or 6 feet. we do have a Wii in the room and have the Playstation Move. The projector will have to be ceiling mounted. It looks like the W1080ST will do a 106" image from 5-6 (depending on the amount of zoom used) feet away with the projector mounted about 1 inch from the top of the screen. The W1070 and HT1075 will do the same size picture from about 8'10" to 11'6" away and mounted 2-3" above the top of the screen. I kind of like the wireless option of the HT1075 and the notion of not having to run a long HDMI cable down the front wall and back through the ceiling to the projector, although it would not be a big deal because it is a second story room and I have attic access and have already run speaker wires and network cables. I do not care about 3D content or 4K at this point. So, which one would work the best in my situation and what color screen and what gain, etc would be the best? The room does get used for television as well (especially sports). Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good questions. I'm contemplating the same thing. I'm leaning towards the 1075 as I have plenty of room to move back from the screen. My current projector is an ancient Sharp DLP unit that sits ~14' from the screen. Whichever one I choose will have to move much closer. I would think that sitting back further would be better (ie, the 1070/1075), but don't know.

Hopefully you will get some good insight I can learn from as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone? I guess rght now, I'm leaning toward the HT1075 and a cinegray 100"-106" screen unless somebody can tell me why the W1080ST would be better suited to my application. The one thing I was thinking is that the W1080ST might be better for the Wii and Playstation move since I could ceiling mount it 5-6 feet away from the screen so bodies wouldn't interfere with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone? I guess rght now, I'm leaning toward the HT1075 and a cinegray 100"-106" screen unless somebody can tell me why the W1080ST would be better suited to my application. The one thing I was thinking is that the W1080ST might be better for the Wii and Playstation move since I could ceiling mount it 5-6 feet away from the screen so bodies wouldn't interfere with it.

I have the W1080ST. I purchased it a few months ago but just now got my theater up and running. I have watched a few movies on it so far over the past week. I think it looks great. I love how close it can sit to the screen as it is out of the way and not even close to my seating area. I sit 18 ft back and have a 130inch screen. I haven't calibrated it or messed with it in any way so I assume it can get even better. But out of the box is still very satisfying.

As far as screen color, I made my AT screen out of Spandex. I used the matte white fabric over the matte black. It doesn't sound like you are going the AT route, but either way that's what I have and its not a very high gain screen. But it looks great with ambient light (great for sports watching which was a main concern of mine) and good in the dark as well for movies.

There is quite a bit of ambient light in the one picture below where the picture looks washed out (but its not). Definitely enough light in the room if you planning on entertaining for sports viewing or something. KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ALL TAKEN WITH AN IPHONE. THE QUALITY IS MUCH BETTER IN PERSON.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great. I keep going back and forth between the HT1075 and the W1080ST. I like the idea of the short throw, especially for the Wii and Playstation move. The one thing I don't like is that I'll have a big white projector in the middle of the ceiling out in front of the seating area. With the HT1075 the projector would be above the seating area but that might mean that anybody playing the motion games would interfere with the projector.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I snapped a few quick cell phone pics of my room. They aren't the greatest quality but it should give an idea of what I'm dealing with. The only thing I really have to do is finish paining the closet doors and the entry door the same burgundy color as the side and rear walls.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
That looks great. I keep going back and forth between the HT1075 and the W1080ST. I like the idea of the short throw, especially for the Wii and Playstation move. The one thing I don't like is that I'll have a big white projector in the middle of the ceiling out in front of the seating area. With the HT1075 the projector would be above the seating area but that might mean that anybody playing the motion games would interfere with the projector.
Yes I got lucky with that. Mine sits right in front (or behind, depending how you want to look at it) the support beam. So it is out of sight. And being that I sit 18 feet back from the screen and about 9 feet back from the projector itself, I don't hear a thing. When I walk close to the projector I can hear it a little. So keep that in mind when choosing a projector that might sit directly above or close to the seating.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I'm curious. Why do you have the TV located at the end of the room where the adjacent left speaker interferes with that door? Why not swap ends and put the couch at that end?

Just going from the photos...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious. Why do you have the TV located at the end of the room where the adjacent left speaker interferes with that door? Why not swap ends and put the couch at that end?

Just going from the photos...
The other end of the room (behind the seats) has a large window. In the picture there are room darkening curtains covering the window. If the window wasn't there I would have done exactly what you suggested. Re-building the room is not an option and I need to work within the constraints of what is already there. As I mentioned, I can go to a slightly different L/C/R setup in front to probably get more room for the door to open. Its not bad now and the door opens far enough to easily walk into the room. TV watching is fine with the plasma but I'm just kind of underwhelmed with watching movies in the room. That's kind of funny because in the house we just moved from the room with this system in it was about 12 feet wide and 25 feet long and we sat 12 feet away and it seemed fine but that was a family room with a home theater system in it. This room is supposed to be a micro theater so the display just seems small right now.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Using a large DIY Spandex AT screen would open up possibilities. You could suspend it from the ceiling in front of the speakers, provided you can locate a ceiling joist. Would've been a bit better with shallower speakers, but I don't think you'd have to move the screen that much forward (relative to your current display position) to clear them. Then you could cheat the screen location away from that door, or use a larger screen. The screen will be small enough anyway that the negative gain from the Spandex will help the black levels.

If you're gaming, you will probably want to mount the PJ as close as possible in that room. With the couch there, though, there might not be enough room to maneuver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a projector and I am debating the same thing. My base is almost finished getting renovated and I have run all the wires and cables. I do have a little more space than you but not really sure about the 1075, 1080, or 1085. I have read nothing but great things about the 1075 but for a few more bucks or the others that much better?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Unless you truly need a feature of the 1075, get the 1070 and money saved can go toward something else or save it for the next version or a different model which has significantly better specs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts