AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question seems to come up from people all the time, or a variation of the question, so I decided to take some photos.

These were just taken with my phone.

Scenario: W1070, about 16' from a 161" diagonal 1.3 gain Draper screen. Basement (photo for reference) that is unfinished with aluminum foil over insulation.

Pretty bad overall setup. The lights are standard open lights. 100 watts. Some are fluorescent equivalent models.

Projector in low lamp mode, and left on for about 15 minutes to warm up and stabilize. Content is from Verizon FiOS STB.

Three photos are with lights out to get an understanding of just how bright this model is on this screen size with lights out. The rest are lights on with a back angle shot to give you an idea of how the lighting is.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
What do you call your decorating style ? Industrial shabby chic ? :eek:

It is a good example of just how bad wall reflections can be -- seriously, exposed foil backed insulation ?

It does show how incandescent lights far from the actual screen don't completely wash out an image, though. I could never get away with it with my JVC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pictures of your W1070

Great pics - this helps me quite a bit. I am building a home with dedicated media room (no windows) and have been trying to decide on a projector. Looks like a found a front runner:)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I like the screen. Now I might have to get one and stop using the wall as a screen.

FYI only: since you probably want to do it yourself, but

Since we are fairly near each other, I know a guy, Carlos (and crew), who does good work, will work on the weekends and is cheap if you want to finish the room. You would have to drive the ship with sound proofing, wiring and layout. (I think this guy did every basement in my subdivision and was recommended by the salesman.)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The fact that you can get that amount of brightness with a screen so large is impressive - on Eco mode, no less!
I know it's a bright projector but I also suspect the bit of gain on the screen likely helps somewhat. Is that a flat-white screen?
Any disadvantages to the small degree of gain you use in your environment?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The basement is pretty standard unfinished. I will be framing it myself in the next few years. I won't have a dedicated space, but the open aluminum will not be a part of the final product! :)

I have about 2,000 square feet in the basement to work with, so there will be a darkened screen area, proper blackout shades/curtains (likely motorized), a ton of custom lighting, movie paraphernalia, etc. But, it's a few years out. The projector lift is a nifty piece I put together for under $200, using a motorized car jack. It brings the projector up between the ceiling joists so my kids can't damage it when it's not in use.

The screen is a eBay find - Draper Ultimate Access V screen.

I don't think the 1.3 gain has much impact on what the projector is doing. It certainly helps with the size, but 1.1-1.5 is generally considered minimal gain. It produces a nice smooth image without hotspotting or sparkling. I think MSRP is over $5K on the screen, online around $4K or so. I think I got it for about $500 shipped to my door. Speakers were another 50 bucks. (yep) So, a very value oriented setup (not including the subwoofer).

But, at the end of the day, this is a temporary 'fun' setup until the basement is finished and I likely move to one of the Sony models. The W1070 stands up very well, even at large screen sizes, and even in ambient light. So, people who are wondering how a bit of light will impact the image, the answer is that it will, but still leave a very usable on-screen experience.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
But, at the end of the day, this is a temporary 'fun' setup until the basement is finished and I likely move to one of the Sony models. The W1070 stands up very well, even at large screen sizes, and even in ambient light. So, people who are wondering how a bit of light will impact the image, the answer is that it will, but still leave a very usable on-screen experience.
I still can't believe you gave me grief over not painting my basement a darker color a while back. (To be fair you addressed that with me via several PMs.) So now it's my turn....a $5000ish MSRP screen, a great projector and $50 speakers:eek:, which one of these things is out of place?

Just like you said above, rooms should be "fun" and within the comfort zone of the owner be it $1,000,000 or a few hundred.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still can't believe you gave me grief over not painting my basement a darker color a while back. (To be fair you addressed that with me via several PMs.) So now it's my turn....a $5000ish MSRP screen, a great projector and $50 speakers:eek:, which one of these things is out of place?

Just like you said above, rooms should be "fun" and within the comfort zone of the owner be it $1,000,000 or a few hundred.
My kids use their archery gear in the basement. I'm not putting my Def Tech speakers in a space where arrows are flying. The screen retracts, the projector retracts, the subwoofer (Velodyne HGS18) is off to the side, the Yamaha RX-Z1 is in the rack... So, it's only the $50 speakers at risk.

When I don't have a concrete floor and silver walls, I won't have $50 speakers running the show.

But, I'll take the ribbing... the sound is not bad at low volumes. :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Now I understand why you have a lift for your projector.

I

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
There is no benefit to using Eco mode instead of Smart Eco on the w1070. To the contrary, Smart Eco is a much better setting since it will auto-dim to increase the black level in darker scenes, and it does it instantaneously. It's a performance feature. Adjust the brightness with Smart Eco is the best way to get the best performance out of this cheap projector. Mine is still going strong at 4000+ hours two years later. Might replace the bulb around christmass time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This question seems to come up from people all the time, or a variation of the question, so I decided to take some photos.

These were just taken with my phone.

Scenario: W1070, about 16' from a 161" diagonal 1.3 gain Draper screen. Basement (photo for reference) that is unfinished with aluminum foil over insulation.

Pretty bad overall setup. The lights are standard open lights. 100 watts. Some are fluorescent equivalent models.

Projector in low lamp mode, and left on for about 15 minutes to warm up and stabilize. Content is from Verizon FiOS STB.

Three photos are with lights out to get an understanding of just how bright this model is on this screen size with lights out. The rest are lights on with a back angle shot to give you an idea of how the lighting is.
That is what I call a real cave :)

I like your setup and have been wondering what a high lumen projector will do on a 160" screen in a less than ideal environment, so this mostly answers my question. Is your Draper screen a TecVision, it is on my short list.

My basement is similar to yours with approximately 21ft throw distance and with engineered joists, but it is completed and I did not do any beefing-up for the projector and am now worried about hanging a heavy projector from those joists. I should have given this more careful thought earlier.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what I call a real cave :)
I have grand plans for finishing the space. I have about 2,000 square feet in the basement available to me, so I have some real space to work in. I recently bought a 110" Silver Ticket screen to do projector testing with.

Is your Draper screen a TecVision, it is on my short list.
No, I think it's their Optiflex, or their precursor to what they now call Optiflex. I picked it up on eBay for about $400 shipped to my door. :eek: That's about 1/10th of what it is available for online. So, quite the deal, but it was sitting around unused for several years. 161" Ultimate Access V screen with the 1.3 gain surface. But, it definitely predates the Tecvision surfaces. Given a choice, I would probably go to DaLite over Draper.

My basement is similar to yours with approximately 21ft throw distance and with engineered joists, but it is completed and I did not do any beefing-up for the projector and am now worried about hanging a heavy projector from those joists. I should have given this more careful thought earlier.
Ceiling joists can hold several hundred pounds. You won't have any issues with a projector which typically runs under 30 pounds, for even a heavy model. The BenQ, on the mount, is probably under 10 pounds. Your sheet of drywall weighs more than that.

·
Registered
850 Posts
AV_Integrated what do those low chairs go for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts