AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker and I finally need personal help!

First off I'm not an audiophile/videophile in the least. Projector main use is for family movies, Xbox one and cartoons for kiddies.

Here's my projected setup

W1085ST
8' away from wall in built in cubby already wired up 1' off ceiling
9' white ceilings with dark grey painted walls
13' viewing distance
Room size is 30x60 (open basement)
Movie area is sectioned off with half walls 15x20
Complete darkness achievable
Think the image will be anywhere from 11-13' wide? Too much?

Think that's about all the details needed?

What is my best option for budget screen. I finished my own basement so I'm handy but have no clue where to start with all the grains and sizes likes 16:9 or 4:3???

I can wire a roll down screen but looking for best option at lowest price so what about that black flame paint or just a regular screen off of amazon?

I def appreciate any help I can get here guys! Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Long time lurker and I finally need personal help!

First off I'm not an audiophile/videophile in the least. Projector main use is for family movies, Xbox one and cartoons for kiddies.

Here's my projected setup

W1085ST
8' away from wall in built in cubby already wired up 1' off ceiling
9' white ceilings with dark grey painted walls
13' viewing distance
Room size is 30x60 (open basement)
Movie area is sectioned off with half walls 15x20
Complete darkness achievable
Think the image will be anywhere from 11-13' wide? Too much?

Think that's about all the details needed?

What is my best option for budget screen. I finished my own basement so I'm handy but have no clue where to start with all the grains and sizes likes 16:9 or 4:3???

I can wire a roll down screen but looking for best option at lowest price so what about that black flame paint or just a regular screen off of amazon?

I def appreciate any help I can get here guys! Thanks for your time!!
You want a 16:9 screen. From that viewing distance I'd recommend a 150" fixed frame screen and in a white matte color -- gain 1.1-1.2 roughly. Amazon sells several good models like the Elite (for $536). Avoid rollup screens if you don't absolutely need one. Especially with a short throw projector like the 1085ST, it will be difficult to get good focus and alignment with a rollup screen. They are also more expensive for the good ones and the cheap ones do not stay flat, which is annoying when distortions are noticeable in a movie.

You could also DIY a frame from 12' long straight 2x4 lumber and wrap it with a professional screen material called "flexiwhite" which Amazon also sells. That would cost less than $200 for everything rather than the $500+ that a decent 150" commercial screen will cost. There is a DIY screen section here on AVS where you can see how easy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts