AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MSI 6378 motherboard with 1.1 amd on it. My bios sees the maxtor 160 as a 160, but w2k only sees it as a 128 (or 138 I forgot). Hummmm, so I tried my sil 0680 ultra-133 raid controller and now W2K doesn't boot, hangs at about 50% load up.

anyone have any ideas as to why w2k doesn't see the whole drive? should I set it up under disk management and have w2k write to it? (dont' think so myself).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Whatever controller you have the large drive hooked to will likely need the latest drivers for the controller in order to see the whole drive. Otherwise it'll only see 137 gb. Even the Promise controller shipping with some large drives needs the latest drivers downloaded for whichever OS before the OS sees the entire drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just installed SP3 and that's supposed to fix the 48bit problem but I used regedit and added the correct lba entry to the registry. It still shows 137gb as the largest. I will have to order up the promise controller. The controller I have with a drive attached (err, at least the 160gb drive) locks the OS right away, with no drive attached, w2k boots perfectly. I installed the drive to that controller card, that didn't help. I am burning in the drive as we speak (max software) and if it goes though ok, I'll take the drive home and try it on another computer running w2k and see what happens.

I take it there still is no LINUX fix yet for a 160gb drive? Hope my old replay doesn't die in the next couple days!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I thought FlipFlop just posted a Linux floppy image that does large drives.

It sure wouldn't take long to boot it and see...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cblount
I have an MSI 6378 motherboard ...

anyone have any ideas as to why w2k doesn't see the whole drive? should I set it up under disk management and have w2k write to it? (dont' think so myself).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
If you haven't done it already go to www.viaarena.com and get the latest driver.

Currently is VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.46

Use the onboard IDE port.

Also, make sure your board has the most recent BIOS.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
It was just said, but I'd like to emphasize. Check to see if your motherboard will support +133 GIG drives. Many will after you get the latest BIOS. The BIOS is my #1 suspect. If the computer is pretty old there may be no BIOS upgrade.

You could always do it on a friends computer.

icecow

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The MSI board has the latest BIOS (3.3) and it (as of 2.4) was able to see the maxtor 160. My bios (As I said above) DOES see the 160 as the 160. It's W2K that doesn't. W2K see it as a 133 (128 acutally). I will now try VIAARENA (thought I did that yesterday but shoot, at this point, I don't know my name without looking at my nametag) and re-download the latest IDE drivers and see if that works.

I'm installing RedHat 9 right now on a spare drive and I'll also give the linux boot a try. I dont' want to mess with my linux server at home so this will work also I hope. I'll post what I find out if it works or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Christine,

My experiences were the same as yours. I had to use the maxtor controller packed with the drive and W2K. I installed the controller and drivers first, then connected the drive. Maybe your lockup is coming from lack of inerrupts. You could turn off your secondary ide, serial ports and parallel port in the bios and try again.

I think toots is correct about the new linux image. I remember seeing that also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cblount
The MSI board has the latest BIOS (3.3) and it (as of 2.4) was able to see the maxtor 160. My bios (As I said above) DOES see the 160 as the 160. It's W2K that doesn't. W2K see it as a 133 (128 acutally). I will now try VIAARENA (thought I did that yesterday but shoot, at this point, I don't know my name without looking at my nametag) and re-download the latest IDE drivers and see if that works.
If the driver doesn't fix it, try setting your CMOS to 'None' for the Secondary Master drive. Windows 2000 doesn't need the bios to translate the drive if it is a secondary drive. Sometimes the bios settings get in the way and confuse things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joea
Windows (and almost all personal OS') will only recognize the first 137GB of such a large drive.

You'll probably need a Promise controller card and it wouldn't hurt to check out info on Microsoft's site such as:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b305098
In the past, IDE drives only supported 28 bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA). Which limits hard drive capacity to 268,435,456 sectors or 137,438,953,472 bytes -> hence the 137 GByte limit.

However ... newer motherboards and pci adapter boards support 48 bit Logical Block Addressing -- which translates to 281,474,976,710,656 sectors or 144,115,188,075,855,872 bytes -- much more than 137GB.

Further -- Win2K and WinXP natively support 48bit LBA. So, if you have a motherboard or pci board that supports 48bit LBA there should be no problem. If you are having problems, it is either a driver problem, or your hardware does not support 48bit LBA.

Win9X and WinME did not support 48bit LBA to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very true, but you need to ensure that your copy of Win2K has Service Pack 2 applied (those sizes didn't exist back then, which is why it doesn't support it natively), even then you may need to modify the registry per the TID at the above support site.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbalaia

Further -- Win2K and WinXP natively support 48bit LBA. So, if you have a motherboard or pci board that supports 48bit LBA there should be no problem. If you are having problems, it is either a driver problem, or your hardware does not support 48bit LBA.

[/b]
Actually, that's not entirely correct. It was WinXP SP1 that provided the proper support for the 48bit LBA, not pre SP1. I know because I had a bunch of problems trying to get my XP to see more than the 127gb inside the disk manager for my multiple 160 gig drives. I then did some research into why xp wouldn't see them natively and discovered a Microsoft article that idenitified this support in only SP1. I upgraded my XP and all was well.

As for 2K, perhaps this is only supported in a later SP as well. With that OS, I am not sure.

Calvin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.