Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The Hoontech is a less than 200$ dedicated 96/khz 24 bit ADC and DAC audiocard ( http://www.hoontech.com/english/index.html )

But does it work under win2000 and PowerDVD to establish a digital out to a stand alone A/V receiver?

I am tired of SB Live and its incompatibility with w2k and no 44.1khz S/PDIF output.

I hope there are happy Hoontech HTPC users out there

Ky

·
Registered
727 Posts
kyrill,

I use DSP24 the original version (pre-value). As for audio quality via S/P-DIF the card is at par with Delta Dio2496 (which I also use in a different system). This is not surprise considering that the both card use EVNY24 chip.

AudioDSP24 works under Win2k for PCM audio and it does not upconvert. However, AC3 or DTS are not supported yet and the only sound you can get is down-mixed stereo. According to HoonTech support this card needs to be specifically recognised and S/P-DIF enabled by the DVD Player. PowerDVD is expected to do just that in the new version (by that story is now more that six moths old).

HoonTech support is also claiming the PowerDVD can output 6 channel sound via DSP24 if it is connected to its on external DAC (this is similar to Delta 1010 solution).

Driver support is not a responsive as m-audio's and the quality of implementation is lagging.

All in all, this card is not yet ready for HTPC prime time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.