AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upgrading from a Mits 3000, 720 DLP to 1080. Dedicated theater room with 100% light control. Small room, 11 ft throw, 88"screen, sit about 9-10 feet away depending on the recline. Scared of motion blur and am wondering if the 8700UB does a good job with that or if I should stick with the DLP. Movies, Mario Cart and sports... I think I want a larger lens shift then the w6000 offers so that I dont have to use the drop pole of my mount. Love the idea of a free replacement bulb also.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
With a small screen, the motion blur may not be as noticeable. Also you have serious overkill in the brightness area with the w6000. That's unless you're brightness nut like me. Buy from a place like Amazon, so if you find the 8700 doesn't cut it for you, you can return it easily. For such a small screen the 8700 looks to be the better fit IMHO, this is from a person that prefers DLP.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are dust blobs a HUGE deal with LCDs?

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Unless you get a screen with a high negative gain or use an ND filter, I would not get the Benq w6000 for a screen that small.

Motion lag is very hard to see on the newer LCD projectors, even with CFI turned off it has been greatly reduced. It is still there, but now only the most sensitive trained eye will see it usually (like an FPS gamer or someone that watches a ton of sports and does not like CFI to be on).

I also have to agree that in that small of a room, I'll think you'll be happier with the Epson. It can go darker, Epson's IRIS is a bit better, Epson is quieter, and it has more placement flexibility.

Another advantage of the Epson is it has better OTB modes closer to D65 and its easier to calibrate for better skin tones IMO. The Benq is a bit trickier to calibrate. If you will not be using a METER to calibrate, definitely stick with the Epson.

Many of the above would not matter for some rooms, but in a room that small I would lean towards the quieter projector with more flexibility.

There are advantages/disadvantages to each technology. The 8700ub has better native contrast and a "stronger" IRIS resulting in much better blacks, although some people may need to tame the IRIS of the 8700ub because it can crush blacks (but it also makes them very dark).

The w6000 is much sharper for HTPC and reading text from a screen, the 8700ub will be a bit softer looking in bright scenes, but most people apparently notice black levels more than bright scene POP, although a few of us are the opposite. Also, the 8700ub is a good LCD as far as a pure picture standpoint.

You know from that close of a distance, you might also look at the Sanyo z4000 if you can get a good deal on one (sub $1600). I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it though, otherwise the Epson is a better deal to most people due to darker blacks and easier to calibrate. The Sanyo is quieter, a bit sharper, plenty bright for your screen size, and the picture is similar even though the Epson has better blacks.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameredith /forum/post/20879735

Are dust blobs a HUGE deal with LCDs?

It can be once the warranty expires, the Sanyo z4000 is one of the only LCD HT projectors with a do-it-yourself dust removal system, and it works great. That said, Epson has a better warranty overall, so the Epson is the better projector if you are shooting for a 2 to 3 year usage. If you want to run the projector for 4+ years, my bets are on the longevity of the Sanyo over the Epson.

I was recommending the Sanyo's quite strongly when a vendor I'll leave unmentioned had them at sub $1400 (and that is an amazing deal), but with the Sanyo now usally at $1600+ it is generally better to just get the 8700ub if your primary watching is movies for darker blacks. The Sanyo is a little better at HTPC though due to the added sharpness.

You can get one of those square trade type extended warranties for either projector, but I'm not sure if they cover dust blobs.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
In a small room with that size screen, the W6000 will be very bright, but also very loud. It's the loudest projector I ever had in my room (25 x 16).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this is dumb, but on the w6000, can't I turn down the brightness? and wouldn't that make it quieter also? Or is something like "eco-mode" not an optimal setting to run all the time?

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Yes, the brightness can go down quite a bit to around 500 to 600 lumens at your throw range, or maybe a bit less with the IRIS and everything, but even in ECO mode the Benq is not the quietest projector. After about 100 hours, it might be DIM enough for your screen, but it's still a close call and depends on your preferences as well. On an 88" screen, that is about 17 FL to 20 FL, which isn't really WAY too bright, but that is the very bottom range of the projector and it might not calibrate correctly at that level.

Are you planning to hire a calibrator, if not I would stick with the Epson for that reason alone, the Epson looks better with OTB skin tones.

You can try an ND filter if you go with the Benq, but I would probably suggest getting a GRAY negative gain screen instead, one around 0.8 or so. Even without the filter or negative gain screen, after about 250-500 hours on lamp it should no longer be too bright at that screen size with everything cranked down to lower brightness, but that's quite a long time to wait. You could also try to find a partially used lamp for it with already 500 hours on the lamp if you really wanted to.

There is probably some variance on fan noise between units, you can try one and see. The Mits hc4000 is quieter and not as bright, although the Mits is harder to lower brightness and would still be too bright at first at that screen size.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I believe the 8700 will be the quieter model. Did you decide what to get? Did you browse the newer releases as well?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts