AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been using my W7 Ultimate X64 HTPC with Ceton InfiniTV watching/recording Cable TV for years. It is once rock solid HTPC to me.

I do not have any tablet except iPad. Is it a good idea to move up to W8? Any W8 Ceton user here that can share with me their W8 Ceton InfiniTV experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Works fine for me. Only limitation is that the Win 8 driver doesn't allow for network tuner sharing. Just add StartIsBack if you don't like using Win 8.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1469223/w8-ceton-infinitv-experience#post_23228543

Works fine for me. Only limitation is that the Win 8 driver doesn't allow for network tuner sharing. Just add StartIsBack if you don't like using Win 8.
Unfortunately the missing start button is only the tip of the iceberg. For me, the damage they have done to every facet of windows is insurmountable, no matter how many add-ons and hacks you use. Just my opinion. Don't mean to turn this into a Win 8 vs. Win 7 thread.

While I agree than Ceton works fine in Win 8, I'm a strong believer in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also realize that if you have any extenders that aren't xboxes, they won't work anymore. So I have to say, no, it is not a good idea to "upgrade" your HTPC to Win 8.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1469223/w8-ceton-infinitv-experience/0_100#post_23229389

Unfortunately the missing start button is only the tip of the iceberg. For me, the damage they have done to every facet of windows is insurmountable, no matter how many add-ons and hacks you use. Just my opinion. Don't mean to turn this into a Win 8 vs. Win 7 thread.

While I agree than Ceton works fine in Win 8, I'm a strong believer in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also realize that if you have any extenders that aren't xboxes, they won't work anymore. So I have to say, no, it is not a good idea to "upgrade" your HTPC to Win 8.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Win 8 is just fine with a Ceton InfiniTV installed. I really have no problem with Metro as far as a start screen for an HTPC. I have mine setup with only a few tiles and my HTPC loads to the tiles and I can select XBMC, WMC, IE or Desktop. It's really fairly simple.

My other HTPC is running Win 7 and I won't be upgrading it to Win 8 simply because of the Networking Tuner issue.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
We test on both Windows 7 and 8 and the InfiniTV works fine on both. My personal HTPC is on Windows 7 still simply because there is no reason to upgrade. However other machines in my house with InfiniTVs, like my desktop PC, do run Windows 8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts