AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while re-setting up my recording schedules in anticipation of the flurry of premieres coming up... i noticed something weird with NBC's scheduling of ER. they have it listed from 9:59pm to 11:00pm, so... that single minute ends up conflicting with my recording of CSI on CBS from 9pm-10pm. gak! (the replay faithfully greys out which ever of the two you set up first). how annoying.

given you can only set program-based recording to shift minutes before or after a show, the only way around this seems to be to set up a manual recording from 10:00pm-11:00pm for ER and label it as such.

perhaps future iterations of firmware need to allow "negative" shifts in the time settings so we can start recordings a minute or two after a show starts?

-e

·
Registered
129 Posts
it's a conspiracy. the networks are making it harder on replay and tivo users. they're all going to take turns with these odd start and stop times.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you record Survivor just pad it by 59 minutes at the end. Or do what I did last year, stop recording NBC shows that are scheduled like this.

(Plus Without A Trace is a much better show than ER these days)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lizard Boy's right (Wow...I never thought I'd write that...).

If they want to make it hard for me to see their shows, then I'm going to find something else to watch.

--Colin

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
ER has been starting at 9:59 for many years (actually 9:58 if you count the "Previously on ER" segment). The only recent change is that TMS has acknowledged this in their electronic program guides, which are used by ReplayTV and TiVo.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxtrot-Yankee
Lizard Boy's right (Wow...I never thought I'd write that...).

If they want to make it hard for me to see their shows, then I'm going to find something else to watch.

--Colin
Thanks (I think).

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I belive Barmar is correct, and that would take alot of the wind out of the "It's an NBC conspiracy" argument.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The manual recording appears to be your best option. This is less than ideal, however, because you won't get the guide data.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ekaxel
Get a second (or third) replay.
This is the way to go....I never would've had the problem in my VCR days...because I would have it start recording at 7:59pm and let it go straight through to 11:01pm....there would be no question of conflicts with shows on a different channel, because I would have a different VCR covering other shows/channels.

It wasn't that I had VCRs covering specific channels....but that they only had 8 event timers...so combining shows to get it to fit within that constraint was important. Just fast forward over the shows I'm not interested in when I watch later.

But, then I got ReplayTV...and recording is show based. So, I leave out all the shows that are in the middle that I don't want to see.

But, last month I decided it was time to bring some order to how I schedule recordings....so I have certain channels on certain RTVs....unless there's a conflict (like FOX and UPN [and a few others] are handled by one RTV, and there's a show on both...)

So, the weird show times of NBC don't cause me problems because, CBS is handled by a separate machine....and a separate machine for ABC. The only thing left is FOX and UPN together....fortunately nothing on Fox to conflict with UPN programming on Thursdays.....

The Dreamer

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've just setup a manual recording on Thurs from 7:59 to 9:05 to catch the NBC sitcoms on Thurs (I don't watch ER). I really onl;y watch Scrubs and Freinds, but it's hard to tell when they might show them these days.

I don't think it's really to screw up DVR users as much as screwing up the other networks. Starting/stoping shows on odd times makes it harder for peopel to switch the channel to a differnet show if you're going to miss part of it because Friends lasts until 8:40.

ER starting early also probably encourages people to watch whatever show is on before ER on NBC (that seems to change weekly).

Overall, NBC schedulers are jerks!! :)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
So, the weird show times of NBC don't cause me problems because, CBS is handled by a separate machine....and a separate machine for ABC. The only thing left is FOX and UPN together....fortunately nothing on Fox to conflict with UPN programming on Thursdays.....
Hey, that's what I do too! :)

Though I haven't really purchased on Replay per station, as that would be

getting out of control. CBS and NBC basically get their own units and ABC,

FOX, WB, FOX, FX, USA, TNT, ESPN, and MTV share the remaining 2 units.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.