AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand it should be flat, but I don't know if it should be black or a certain grey, what about dark red or blue. Is there a standard?

·
Registered
598 Posts
For front projection ideally it should be black. You want as little reflective light to washout the dark areas of the screen as possible. Also any color that is reflected from the room will tint the overall image on the screen.

So black is best, dark gray next, dark colors after that. It helps a great deal to have the wall with the screen black. If you have a ceiling mounted projector, or if the screen is mounted high, it also helps a lot to have a black ceiling.

James

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes sense, what is this stuff about the standard 18%grey, or kodak grey, I just read it in another post but they didn't explain it exactly

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another question...if I did paint the walls/ceiling a flat black could I scatter some posters in non essential places, or would this defeat the purpose of the flat black paint, I'm only talking about a few posters. Its just the thought of an all black room depresses me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would the whole room have to be black? Or just say the ceiling/front part of the side walls, then the rest a dark red or something.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KingofOld
that makes sense, what is this stuff about the standard 18%grey, or kodak grey, I just read it in another post but they didn't explain it exactly
One reason: Most digital projectors can't produce true black, so having the wall around the screen painted to something that's lighter then the projector's black helps make the screen seem blacker.

Kal

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
KingofOld:

Okay, since you've gotten two apparently different opinions, I will provide an amusing, but only potentially helpful, response.

There is a cajun chef (whose name escapes me at present) who was once asked on his TV show what the best wine for a certain dish was. He turned and smiled at the asker and said, "Why de bes' wine for dis here dish is de wine you likes best. Dat's de bes' wine for dis here dish."

So my advice is that in the long run, satisfying the waf may provide superior HT enjoyment than using either flat black or Kodak grey. :D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Mnilian - it was Justin Wilson "I guar-an-tee!"

Oh, and give the wife some credit. Our theater is almost finished - just curtains left. I'd been suggesting burgandy, but now that she's been enjoying the theater, she said, "why not black?"

R

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
CptnRandy:

Yep! Justin Wilson is his name and I love his anti-dogmatic philosophy about cooking (and wine)! Haven't seen him lately...

KingofOld:

You are the one who brought up waf. I suppose if you are talking about a dedicated HT which will not be used for other things, then a technical answer is probably appropriate. My wife and I have a "media room" which we use for music listening, reading and movie watching, so the color of the walls needed to "fit" the variety of activities.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Too late - I think you've lost control of this thread!

I believe the answer to that question would be "black", or "as dark as possible. Mine is done in dark greens and looks terrific, if I do say so myself.

Now back to cajun cooking and humor!

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Kevin Miller, a noted ISF tech, installer and National mag reviewer rec to me a dark, flat grey or black on the ceiling, a black on the screen wall and a neutral (preferred darker tone) on the other walls.

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.