AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the initial "Sure honey, get whatever you want", it became "What? That's too big and won't match the room."

So now need to find smallest, out of the way speakers that still sound good.

Already have a Pioneer 1021 on the way so any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
If they're big and good enough looking, they become part of the room decor. My wife too said she wanted speakers that weren't too big and obtrusive until she saw some Sonus Faber Amati Futura's. She said she'd redecorate the room so they'd match the speakers.

So your new quest is to find some beautiful speakers and have her compromise some of the room decorations to better fit the speakers.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The smallest you want to go is something like a DefTech ProMonitor 800.

If the budget is a bit higher, and you can push size a bit, look into the Monitor Audio Apex A10.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What's the decor...modern, colonial, Victorian, etc? Wood grain...oak, cherry, walnut, etc? If the style and wood match, you may get away with something larger.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Doc
Sounds like my wife. She began to see it my way once she heard the difference between "big" speakers and the "pretty, small ones."
Same with mine. My wife hated the modern look of the Energy CF series, but once I switched to Energy RC-10s and an RC-LCR, she LOVED them. She uses them more than me now it seems. She likes the look since they are more furniture grade speakers, and also the way they sound.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJunkie
It was going to be $500 for LRC.

Was shooting for one of these 2 options...both around

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 /forum/post/20872285

I am a bit confused, will she tolerate the Infinities or the Polks?

That's what I was planning. (To give a reference in terms of $/quality)

WAF veto the towers. Wife okay the initial P.O. of the receiver and speakers in general.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
With no WAF to worry about it would be so much easier. Why's divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it.

Ha, kidding (sorta), but I agree with what some above have suggested. Instead of just whittling it down to where you don't like what you end up with just to appease her why don't you explore options that she might be open to that would benefit both of you? She'll most likely appreciate your taking her feelings into consideration and you might end up finding a new speaker you didn't know of that achieves whatever goals in performance you have. Compromise is the name of the game and it's a matter of that compromise going both ways. You have to work women to get what you want but it can be done. After all, it is 50% your room too ya know.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEight /forum/post/20873918

For $500 is not going to get you much. Buy an all in 1 from Sony.

He has a receiver and $500 to spend on high-WAF speakers, so a Sony "all-in-one" is not what he needs.

He can afford 2 of the DefTech ProMonitor 800s I suggested (high WAF) and either a third for the centre or a ProCenter1000.

If he can up the budget a bit the NHT Absolute Zeros could do the trick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.