AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I just coined Child(ren) Acceptance Factor.

I was as usual tweaking the system in my basement HT room when my 6 year old comes in and tells me that the sound is disturbing her watching Wheel of Fortune upstairs in the family room which is right above.

The HT room is finished, so what are my options to reduce sound leakage upstairs?

- blow insulation under the drywall

- put ceiling tiles - over or after taking the drywall off

- just explain to my daughter that daddy's getting old and needs to turn the volume up :D

Cheers,

SP

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
In any relationship with maladaptive behavior there must be an enabler, someone who helps make that behavior possible. Just like a rat going through a maze. If he goes one way he gets shocked the other way he gets fed. Which way will he learn to go? If my children said that my movies are disturbing them ( with the exception of sleeping at night or homework) they would be told who's home they share:D My father would not have been so kind.

Art

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Make sure you verify that in fact, it's your child that is really complaining. She could be a secret wife operative! :)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Why don't you turn on your theater to its usual volume and go upstairs and listen. Maybe it really is annoying. Maybe it's not, but you will never know until you listen. Remember to respect other's opinions. If it is anoying, there are products that can be built into the walls/ceiling to help. Be nice to your daughter. Some day you might be living in her house!!!

Mitch

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have to side with Art on this one. I as a child would have never made it upstairs alive;) Well as far as when I get older my kids said I can live in the garage. This came up during a crying fit over my 401K. "Daddy it's Ok you can live in my garage when you get old" Ah I feel the love:D I think steve is right she is an operative of the wife. Well your daughter did you a favor. It you are leaking that much sound look at all the sound that should be in you HT. You got a leak. She is helping you out:)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Tell her that the monsters under the stairs had the volume up so high, and they hate Wheel of Fortune.

I guarentee you privacy for several more years!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your house, your rules! Or should that be "Wife's house, Wife's rules?" Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
It amazes me that many (so far all of the respondents) feel that they should be able to dictate to others living in their house. Don't any of you feel that respecting your family is important. I'm given a lot of latitude in my house and I am repectful of my family. After all, I wouldn't want my wife to start the dishwasher while I am listening to music (the kitchen is right next to the living room). I still belive that investigation of whether the theater is offensive to his daughter is an acceptable course of action, and hopefully a compromise can be achieved. Just remember the respect and love you show your children (or lack therof) will be returned when you are old and in need. Invest in your children and hope it will provide a nice return.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just smack the s**t out of her to give her something to REALLY complain about. ;) Oops! Am I projecting? :rolleyes:

I think the answer lies somewhere between Art and Mitch..and nowhere in between. Answering to someones every whim is a slippery slope. That's why they coined the phrase "give em an inch and they'll take a mile". ;) And likewise, everyone is deserving of having their voice heard and some modicum of dignity and respect afforded them. That being said...neither really answers Spraks questions directly, I am sure he doesn't need a lesson on how to manage his household.

Sprak, I find the number one thing that can help is making sure the windows and doors are sealed effectively. Perhaps even adding some sound insulation pads, the nice looking, kinds to the walls/ceilng can go a long way to achieving the look you want and the silence your family needs. Although no amount of insulation will help when playing Die Hard in 5.1 with a 12" sub booming. ;)

Good luck sprack! :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMG
Your house, your rules! Or should that be "Wife's house, Wife's rules?" Hmmm...
Neither! Your house, wife's rules!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the different viewpoints.

While I was growing up, I would definitely not have said the same thing to my dad, but times change.

Mitch, I agree with your compromise approach since sometimes I do get carried away with the volume, and the big SVS pc+ IS something.

Actually I have insulation behind all the walls, but none behind the gypsum on the ceiling. I was wondering if stuffing/blowing insulation between the joist behind the drywall would help at all or is it not even worth trying?

Thanks again,

SP

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
SP, if you are using a big, loud sub nothing is going to help. Bass travels like water, it goes everywhere. Worse yet, when in a remote location the only thing one hears is the bass which is very annoying. Even I don't like to hear those booming cars drive past me with so much bass the trunk lid is rattling!! Good luck.

Mitch

·
Registered
68 Posts
Blowing insulation? I haven't heard of that but it sounds easy and effective.

My situation is similar. I have a wife above me watching TV while I watch movies downstairs. Does that do the trick? Is it hard?

Vanguard

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its the shredded paper type of insulation that can be blown into the space between joists, behind the ceiling drywall kind of like expanding foam. This would probably require cutting a small piece of the drywall that can be patched over and painted.

I don't know how acoustically effective this would be though.

Has anybody tried this?

SP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.