AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung is obviously hyping the thinness of their new LED sets. Now let's pretend for a second that the depth of a television is of zero consequence to me. I am not going to wall mount my TV, and unless I have been watching TV incorrectly by actually only paying attention to what is on the screen and not looking at the side profile of the TV, I don't give a rat's ars how thick the TV is.

Is there some advancement in technology that actually matters between the wafer thin Samsung LED TV's and the last generation such as the LN55A950?

· Registered
1,754 Posts
to continue...the 2009 samsung edge-mounted LED backlight LCD sets are replacements for CCFL backlight sets. the edge-mounted LED has certain advantages and disadvantages theoretically and realistically over CCFL.

i suggest you read the owner's threads here for 6100/7100/8100 samsung (for the edgemount leds) and the B750 which seems to be the get the nod for the current samsung CCFL sets. you will learn alot about the pluses and minuses as expressed by owners and serious auditioners.

the successors to 2008 samsung A950 are expected to be the 8500 and 9000 which are not released yet.

TVbc

· Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman /forum/post/16845443

Samsung is obviously hyping the thinness of their new LED sets. Now let's pretend for a second that the depth of a television is of zero consequence to me. I am not going to wall mount my TV, and unless I have been watching TV incorrectly by actually only paying attention to what is on the screen and not looking at the side profile of the TV, I don't give a rat's ars how thick the TV is.

Is there some advancement in technology that actually matters between the wafer thin Samsung LED TV's and the last generation such as the LN55A950?

One thing to watch for is the LED backlight displays cam have some haloing or blooming around bight objects on dark backgrounds. So this process is not without it's own problems.

With the edge lit displays I have not seen this effect. The dynamic back light does effect white text on dark backgrounds (like credits) but making it more of a gray color. but in normal screens i don't see any problems.

Both process have advantages and disadvantages. I happen to love my b8000 but I am still curious about the B9000.

· Registered
6,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermifuge /forum/post/16845928

One thing to watch for is the LED backlight displays cam have some haloing or blooming around bight objects on dark backgrounds. So this process is not without it's own problems.

With the edge lit displays I have not seen this effect. The dynamic back light does effect white text on dark backgrounds (like credits) but making it more of a gray color. but in normal screens i don't see any problems.

They had a superthin at Fry's and the white was so bright it was unnatural. There was a scene in a darken room with sun ray reflecting on a table, and the table seemed like it has its own light source! Am sure though, Fry's had it in demo mode. But I go, that's not the way to attract me to this set!

· Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16846541

They had a superthin at Fry's and the white was so bright it was unnatural. There was a scene in a darken room with sun ray reflecting on a table, and the table seemed like it has its own light source! Am sure though, Fry's had it in demo mode. But I go, that's not the way to attract me to this set!

OK, so go to a place that will let you adjust it the way you like?

· Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 /forum/post/16847560

No, these thin sets are inferior to local dimming. Save your money.

I believe that's an opinion. The 950 is 120hz not 240, there are other advancements too. The B8000 uses twin MEMC (motion estimation motion compensation) chips" and many feel that it enhances the AMP and over all PQ of the screen.

· Registered
620 Posts
In my opinion, 240hz is not noticeable and hardly and improvement over 120hz. The A950 has plenty of AMP enough already if you are really into that sort of thing and you can probably snap up whatever is left for less dough. If you really want the best of both worlds in a Samsung, wait for the upcoming models.

· Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 /forum/post/16847560

No, these thin sets are inferior to local dimming. Save your money.
No, these thin sets are inferior to local dimming.

Truth. Local dimming is the only technology that really addresses LCD's major deficit in dynamic range compared to CRT and the best plasmas.

Save your money.

Opinion. (Assuming the locally lit displays will be more expensive...)

· Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 /forum/post/16847939

It is a fact that you can get local lit sets for much cheaper, just not the Samsung brand. You can probably get whatever is left of the A950s for cheaper too.

Those cheaper displays may not have as many LED zones in the LED array and as a result will have more blooming / haloing around bright objects.

· Registered
165 Posts
I have seen the samsung 6000, 7000, 8000 and I don't think they hold a candle to the ln32b640 which is $799 at local stores. I have that TV in my man room. Now for my family room the a950 is on the way to my house. The only thing that came close to the A950 was the xbr8 and its a give and take with that tv. I got my 46" a950 for less than 2K via ebay and bought a square trade warranty. The cheapest I saw the XBR8 was about $2,300. I went with what cost me less, plane and simple because it was a toss up. My next option down was the LN40B750 or 46" I say the 40" because of low the price was on amazon. Also, the xbr9 was in the mix but I like the overall pop of the B750 compared to the xbr9. For some reason Samsung appeals to me more. They seem more colorful, bright, 3d, popping and to have better color accuracy.

So in my opinion, which took a long time of coming to, I would go with the A950. If you want to save a few bucks go with B750 which is also a great tv. The A950 was the best tv in the store when I was able to compare to the other tvs including the 6000, 7000, 8000 thin models (I should mention the 6000 line has dropped in price in terms of the 32" 40" but I still think the B750/B640 beat it). The picture is more alive (A950). It really has a wow factor.

I dare anyone to put a A950 led tv next to a 6000 - 8000 thin led tv with speedracer in blueray showing and tell me the A950 doesn't look better.

· Registered
101 Posts
Just bought the ln55a950 at BB tonight for $3300. It was a hard choice between the a950 and the 8000, but the blacks are so damn good on the a950.

· Registered
84 Posts
After studying this forum for months and spending a lot of time looking at TVs in the stores, I finally bought the 7100. It looks so much better than the 4 year LCD it replaced, it is shocking. The black levels are so much better than they were just a few years ago. I don't know how it compares to the 950, but I suspect I would have been happy with either once I got them home. I just found it hard to tell a lot of difference between some of these great sets in the store where you don't usually have enough time to make all the adjustments or watch the content you want to watch. You log more hours observing a particular set in the first days you have it home, than all those times doing in-store comparisons.

During my search, I was reluctant to go with local dimming, because the gross "low resolution" of the dimming zones. My concern was the effect that local dimming might have on a black sky scene with pinpoint stars. Would it make them dimmer and make some of the stars disappear? I don't know how it could do it's "job" and not cause that to happen. I watched the "Golden Compass" on Blu Ray last week and the "dust" was absolutely stunning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.