AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting my search for a projector and have read up on the Epson 6500UB and Panasonic PT-AE3000. I haven't seen much on the JVC models but they also seem to be popular here. We are finishing our basement and it won't be ready for 5-6 weeks but with the Epson rebate of $400/free lamp and bing cashback(10-12% right now) I thought about grabbing one now. My question is how much do the prices typically drop when new models are released? There may be some new announcements in a month and prices could drop after the rebate but I haven't followed the projector market enough to know how much. Are the models being speculated worth waiting for or should I jump on the Epson deal now? Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am in the same boat. I expect to be ready in 2 months, but those schedules have a way of dragging out, and with CEDIA coming up next month, hoping to see some drops in October. We'll see ...

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
IFA and CEDIA begin in 3 weeks. So I'd wait for that cause virtually every projector manufacturer will have new models at that time. Which may result in the old models getting cheaper. Or maybe you'll decide that you want a new model. Whether the new models are worth waiting for or not is at everyone's guess right now, because real information is thin right now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
In theory this should be the perfect storm for buying right now. New models on the horizon. Old ones starting to be discounted. The problem is it only succeeds in making an already difficult decision that much harder to make.

Threads crop up every year at this time. With headings like Should I Wait for something new? Should I Get a great deal on a XXXX model now? Should I wait for the classifieds to light up when everyone dumps yesterdays XXXX model for that slight contrast ratio boost that the new XXXXX model delivers? It really is a vicious cycle that never ends!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/17009750

Threads crop up every year at this time. With headings like Should I Wait for something new? Should I Get a great deal on a XXXX model now? Should I wait for the classifieds to light up when everyone dumps yesterdays XXXX model for that slight contrast ratio boost that the new XXXXX model delivers? It really is a vicious cycle that never ends!

I'm sure they do. I just don't know the market well enough with projectors to know if how far they drop in price when they are discontinued and how it takes for the new projectors to hit stores after they are announced. The JVC RS2 blowout is another possibility although I don't know much about them. I'm fine with waiting but it's always hard for me to pass up a good deal

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well the irony of it all is I'm in the same boat as you. Typically I've not been in the market just before Cedia. I'm usually more in the after tax return time frame for an upgrade or whatever. This is a rare time for me. It has been very tough for me to decide what to do. Great deals in the classifieds around now and the next few weeks. Once those announcements hit you can almost set your watch for the classifieds to fill up with projector ads.

Then there are the current models being discounted by manufcatuers too. That is only going to amp up over the next three weeks too. The real question is this. Once Cedia comes and they announce a projector will you be able to wait the extra time for it to launch? For example say at Cedia in Mid Sept they announce this fantastic model, but the catch is it won't be available until Dec/Jan or worse spring. Then what? At some point you just got to jump in I suppose.

Like I said this time of years is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Just because they annouce in September doesnt mean they ship in September. Some will ship in October and many will ship late 1st qtr 2010. If you can wait, then it may be worth your while to do so but dont expect the units to be flying on the the store shelves. As for prices, again they dont typically drop that much because the manufacturers dont ship the new projectors until their inventory is mostly out. That means those stores sitting with a lot of inventory may drop their prices dramatically. However, we all know better than to order a lot of projectors anywhere near September.

My advice at this point is to wait until Cedia if you can but dont expect major drops in price. What you will see is an increase in sales of used JVC RS10 and 20s

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Definitely wait until the rest of the theater is ready before pulling the trigger.

I actually waited ~6 weeks after my theater was complete for the AE3000 and the lens memory feature. By waiting til the very end, I got exactly what I wanted.

Funny thing is, I believe the AE3000's price just went UP recently at many popular online projector stores (some have since come back down, others haven't). .

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuuke /forum/post/17009816

I'm sure they do. I just don't know the market well enough with projectors to know if how far they drop in price when they are discontinued and how it takes for the new projectors to hit stores after they are announced. The JVC RS2 blowout is another possibility although I don't know much about them. I'm fine with waiting but it's always hard for me to pass up a good deal

Finish the room first. 5~6 weeks means 5~6 month and longer and it might not even get finished 100% once the PJ is installed. If you buy today and do not install it you will waste valuable warranty and will have to deal with value loss of the pj later. Time left to finish my room always turned out to be way under estimated in my case.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I was just about to ask the same question, because that Epson rebate is tempting. I can't see how the price could be higher in the fall though, I don't think I'd buy the thing knowing at one point it was significantly cheaper and I bet most people feel the same. In the spring, it was a $500 rebate, in the summer it is a $400 + bulb ($200 or so) rebate... Could be a pattern.

Worst case scenario, buy the AE3000

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 /forum/post/17014319

I was just about to ask the same question, because that Epson rebate is tempting. I can't see how the price could be higher in the fall though, I don't think I'd buy the thing knowing at one point it was significantly cheaper and I bet most people feel the same. In the spring, it was a $500 rebate, in the summer it is a $400 + bulb ($200 or so) rebate... Could be a pattern.

Worst case scenario, buy the AE3000

I believe the pattern is that they always have a rebate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are great discounts NOW on the JVC HD750/RS20 and HD350/RS10 appearing on eBay, Videogon, Audiogon, etc. I recently purchased a HD350 and sold it to a friend. I have the RS20. And now I'm trying to find a great deal on the upcoming HD950.

The business has begun to suck. For ~10 years they sold the Sony G90 and for ~15+ years the Marquee 9500 with virtually no changes, now it is like the auto industry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dealers are trying to take a cheap shot at consumers by raising the price because quantities are low and they are acting like they dont know that replacements are about to be released. One online store (^) told a friend that there are limited quanties of the AE-3000 and there are no anouncements for a replacement so they were forced to raise prices. B.S. they are just trying to scare people into buying now at an inflated price. I purchased my AE-2000 at just under $3000 when it was first released. A friend purchased an AE-3000 at just under $2500 shipping included when it was first released. And now dealers want to sell a discontinued projector for more than when it was a new release? IMHO if you buy now you will regret it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts