Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I just placed my order for a SP-1.7, and it looks like I'll have to wait 6 weeks....Drat! I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Anyone have a 1.7 and want to share any thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why do you have to wait for 6 weeks? Is the delay because of Bryston not shipping them out yet or they are backordered?

Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bryston told my dealer that there is a 6 week delay due to backorder. I guess there are lot of people like me wanting one...I waited to place my order until they started shipping. I should have preordered it, but I didn't know that was an option. Now I sit and wait until it comes in.

Pete

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was just told I would have to wait. The back order may be part of the issue. I was there when my dealer called (he wants his too and has other customers interested) and there is an issue that requires THX approval. So they are waiting on a committee to act. I was told it would be 4 weeks. I ordered the Pro version (one balanced digital instead of 2 toslinks that can be assigned and 19 inch faceplate) and was told about 2 weeks ago that it would be shipped out after they talked to Bryston. So on the follow-up call to see why it was not shipped, the other issue was brought to light.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
809 Posts
From what I heard, the first Bryston units are going out to stores later this week. It should be another week and a half from now by the time they clear customs (for US) and arrive in stores. Then it depends on where you sit in the production line. I would guess that most people who ordered already will likely see it by mid-June, give or take a little.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I haven't made a final decision as to whether or not to buy this unit but I talked to a dealer in Windsor Ont. last week that has three in stock. He was willing to give me one that day. I'm leaning toward a Theta Casablanca II but the Bryston sounded great and is whole lot less money. Anyway just thought I'd let you know they are available.

Good Luck

Ken

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
how much are you guys looking at paying. I got a quote for 3,000

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
My Casablanca 2 was down being repaired for a few weeks the other months and I had a loaner Bryston processor from a friend in my system.

Of course, I expect the new 1.7 with newer, greater DACs/chips to be even better. The Bryston is a very nice piece for the money. However, it ain't the Casablanca 2 with Xtreme DACs, or even with Superior DACs. I've done a lot of "tweaks" to really tune the sound of my system and my impression was that without at minimum the Casablanca 2 with Superior DACs, that

many of the "tweaks" would have been superflous. I have recently seen a few Casablanca 2s at www.audiogon.com at really good prices used that you may want to consider, Ken. But I'm not knocking the Bryston, its a really good processor for the buck, and I expect the new version will be fairly improved.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nicolas, you have a pm.

Steve, thanks for the heads up. I saw the units on Audiogon but I'm dumb enough to buy new. I don't like to change out items so I try to buy what I want exactly the way I want it. Unfortunately my inability to say "I don't need that" has made the Casablanca rather pricey. So I keep telling myself to look at other options but second best doesn't sit well with me so the only real question is when, not if:)

Thanks

Ken

PS I don't mean to say the Bryston would be less of a processor, it would just be my "second" choice which always ends up costing me more.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Got my SP1.7 Saturday. Had a chance to compare it vs. the BP-25 as an analog preamp and it was every bit as good if not better and that is considering the fact it was just plugged in for a few hours. The DACs are much improved over the SP1. I basically set ut up and tried a bunch of things (e.g. ES 6.1, 6 channel pass-thru) and will watch a movie later.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm hoping mine will be here within the week also. The wait is killing me....keep me posted on how you like it when you have a little more time wth it. Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
809 Posts
Watched my 1st movie, "Black Hawk Down." Will be catching up on a couple I accumulated like that and got sick of listening to them on the bedroom system and then I'll be able to go back to things I've watched before. It is unbelievable in the bypass mode, either 2-channel or multi-channel. It is pretty much worth it performance wise as a pure 6 channel preamp at the price and the processing is excellent. I can't stop listening to music. I can't believe that a processor is that good at music. My only wish is that they would have a level adjustment for channels in the 6 channel mode. The volume is a little lower in the 6-channel bypass than the 2-channel bypass and the (left, right) balance controls are inoperative The Sony 777 is definitely a consideration with the ability to change the levels in the center and surrounds. I'm afraid to go look at one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll keep you posted when the darn thing gets here...I think you ordered yours before I ordered mine, so I still have a little wait.....and wait I shall....Pete

·
Registered
360 Posts
High End,

Could U clarify this, Does the 1.7 have THX Ultra 2 or not? I read it was going to have it but another forum member stated it does not. Lastly Congrats on the purchase!

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.