AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched Walkabout, the 1971 picture starring an 18 year old Jenny Agutter. I never saw it when it came out because I was in Asia at the time. It's quite a good oldie picture. It's part drama, part nature film, and part nudie flick. Something for everyone. I would like to see the script for this picture. Perhaps it is only 50 pages long. A school girl and her younger brother get lost in the Australian outback. Not much in the way of dialogue.

IB

·
Registered
7,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 /forum/post/0

I was always a Jenny Agutter fan.

Jon

Oh yeah. OOOOOOOOOOOH yeah.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Roeg is a gifted director. It is almost miraculous that this movie is as classy as it is, given how easily it could have devolved into something ... icky.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredProgGH /forum/post/0

Oh yeah. OOOOOOOOOOOH yeah.

Her star seemed to rising up until the mid 70's with Logan's Run and Equus and then she seemed to really lose ground. Don't misunderstand, she is still a hard working actress, but her parts from the late 70's on are just as supporting cast or as a lead in unknown indy films. I always thought if Starwars hadn't come along for another year or so, Logan's Run would have bootstrapped her career. However, Starwars set the bar so high, Logan's Run seemed almost comical even though the story line was good.

Jon

p.s. I would be interested in seeing another film of hers called "The Survivor" from the early 80's.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think she has the warmest voice in the movies. Her British accent is very nice, unlike Madonna's. Very good in American Werewolf in London.

IB

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/0

Just watched Walkabout, the 1971 picture starring an 18 year old Jenny Agutter. I never saw it when it came out because I was in Asia at the time. It's quite a good oldie picture. It's part drama, part nature film, and part nudie flick. Something for everyone. I would like to see the script for this picture. Perhaps it is only 50 pages long. A school girl and her younger brother get lost in the Australian outback. Not much in the way of dialogue.

IB

It was originally a book. It's not long, less than 200 pages I think. A nice read. I remember reading this originally in middle school.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeland_walker /forum/post/0

I wouldn't bother with Survivor - it's absolutely terrible and you can pick it up dirt cheap on eBay

lakeland_walker should know - he's been in love with her for years! Mind you, he's also married to someone else and Agutter was screwing her co-star in Survivor at the time. The film could have been called 'Bonking in Adelaide' (where the film was made)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Agutter /forum/post/0

lakeland_walker should know - he's been in love with her for years! Mind you, he's also married to someone else and Agutter was screwing her co-star in Survivor at the time. The film could have been called 'Bonking in Adelaide' (where the film was made)

Hmmm, interesting. So tell us more.

Jon

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 /forum/post/0

Her star seemed to rising up until the mid 70's with Logan's Run and Equus and then she seemed to really lose ground. Don't misunderstand, she is still a hard working actress, but her parts from the late 70's on are just as supporting cast or as a lead in unknown indy films. I always thought if Starwars hadn't come along for another year or so, Logan's Run would have bootstrapped her career. However, Starwars set the bar so high, Logan's Run seemed almost comical even though the story line was good.

Jon

p.s. I would be interested in seeing another film of hers called "The Survivor" from the early 80's.

Jon,

I don't quite follow - Logan's Run was out a full year before Star Wars hit the big screen and was a moderate success.

While she certainly kept busy, I'm not sure what kept her career on a low boil... maybe her penchant for doing TV work as well as movies kept her from rising as high as she could have. Seeing her in American Werewolf in London and Logan's Run sure made me want to see more.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan /forum/post/0

Jon,

I don't quite follow - Logan's Run was out a full year before Star Wars hit the big screen and was a moderate success.

While she certainly kept busy, I'm not sure what kept her career on a low boil... maybe her penchant for doing TV work as well as movies kept her from rising as high as she could have. Seeing her in American Werewolf in London and Logan's Run sure made me want to see more.

I was trying to say that Starwars so completely changed the Sci-Fi movie landscape that Logan's Run was completely lost and forgotten before it could help her career.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Logan's Run was marketed by the Studio as essentially a kids film

Agutter auditioned for Star Wars at the time but didn't get the part. The only reason she got the Werewolf in London part is that she was a friend of John Landis's wife and other Brit actresses turned the role down

1 - 15 of 15 Posts