Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 87 minutes
Genre: Family/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Justin Long, John Leguizamo, Karl Urban, Skyler Stone, Tiya Sircar
Directed by: Barry Cook & Neil Nightingale
Music by: Paul Leonard-Morgan
Written by: John Collee
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 25, 2014
"Go on an adventure"

Film Synopsis:

For the first time in movie history, audiences will truly see and feel what it was like when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Walking with dinosaurs is the ultimate immersive, big screen adventure for families. Meet dinosaurs more real than you've ever seen as you take off on a thrilling prehistoric adventure, where Patchi, an underdog dinosaur, triumphs against all odds to become a hero for the ages.

My Take:

Featuring the voice talents of Justin Long and John Leguizamo Walking with dinosaurs is a family oriented prehistoric journey set in a time when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. It centers around a herd of Pachyrhinosaurus, specifically the smallest of the pack, a playful male named Patchi who embarks on the biggest adventure of his life. As he tries to find his place in a spectacular world filled with fun-loving friends and dangerous foes, Patchi will discover the courage he needs to become the leader of the herd...and a hero for the ages.

I generally tend to gravitate to and enjoy family based entertainment especially those that require use of the imagination. Walking with dinosaurs uses familial and coming of age themes in the story of a young dinosaur we first meet as a hatchling and watch him learn to navigate his environment and face the primary challenges of finding enough to eat, evading predators and rising above his rivals in order to win a mate. Conceptually speaking there is nothing contained here that hasn’t been done before which certainly shouldn’t be seen as a shortcoming however this script is painfully shallow and infused with rudimentary factoids, surface level humor and uninspired situational drama. Clearly aimed at younger Walking with dinosaurs could have dug a little deeper with its characters/story so as to appeal to a broader audience.

With that said I did find the film to have an elementary charming aspect derived from elements of its plot as well as its excellent production design. The gorgeous CG rendering itself probably makes Walking with dinosaurs worth seeing. I think it’s an ambitious undertaking that attempts to combine learning with a family based entertainment. To that end there is merit to be found however the effort comes up too short to warrant consideration for anything other than a mildly entertaining bit of escapism for the kids to watch on a rainy afternoon.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for creature action and peril, thematic material and mild rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency effects:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element):

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Walking with dinosaurs comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is reference quality video presentation from that looks terrific in high definition. Images are impeccably detailed with enriching transparency and three dimensional depth. Close ups of the animals look extraordinary as varying degrees in the texture of their physical make up is easily discernible. The palette of earth toned colors, are vibrant, deeply saturated and visually stimulating. Primary colors are particularly striking which made the lush, gradational greens of the vegetation covered landscapes, and various blues and reds really pop. Blacks are deep and rich, with extended dynamic range that gives them excellent visual depth. Contrast is boldly applied which energize colors and bright sequences without compromise to fidelity. Shadow delineation is equally impressive which imparts a near infinite level of depth perception to dark backgrounds and low lit scenes. The combination of CGI and live footage is seamlessly integrated which adds to the visual appeal in a rewarding way. I didn’t notice any video related artifacts that adversely effected image quality. All in all this is a great looking rendering.

Like the video quality The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack didn’t disappoint. This is an engaging mix that where appropriate, utilizes the entire system to generate a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. The mix makes regular use of the subwoofer to underscore its dynamics. The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency energy.

Fans of ultra low frequency content will enjoy sequences such as the one featuring the large herbivores trekking down the beach. Their giant footfalls are felt just before they come into the frame and the impact as they proceed down the coastline will rattle anything not tied down in your listening room. Dialogue had excellent soundstage presence with clear, defining vocal character and excellent room penetration. This is a top notch audio/video presentation that offers demonstration worthy material for those who like to show of their home theater systems.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Ultimate Dino Guide

• (HD) Interactive Map

• (HD) Match the call game

• (HD) Brainosaur Trivia Track

• (HD) Nickoldeon Orange Carpet Dino Rap

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Walking with dinosaurs is a family oriented prehistoric journey set in a time when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. It uses contemporary dialogue/themes coupled with educational elements derived from a shallow screenplay that will miss the mark with all but young viewers. Its presentation on Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is on the money and features top quality high definition audio/video and a fan friendly assortment of extras. I suspect that only the kids will enjoy Walking with dinosaurs although its solid presentation on Blu-ray could draw the attention of discerning home theater enthusiast/parents who can overlook its shortcomings in favor of rewarding viewing experience.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System

Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
428 Posts
Was interested in "your take" on this, too bad you didn't get the 3D version, although it sounds like even a lesser (cheaper) DVD presentation for my 5-yr-old (or a rental) will suffice... Thanks again, Ralph!

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher  /t/1525351/walking-with-dinosaurs-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review/0_20#post_24556302

Was interested in "your take" on this, too bad you didn't get the 3D version, although it sounds like even a lesser (cheaper) DVD presentation for my 5-yr-old (or a rental) will suffice... Thanks again, Ralph!

Greetings,

I requested the 3D version but it didn't show..

I would start with a rental Taranteacher.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Nice review Ralph. I seen a couple different previews for this film at my local theater that has a Scope screen and the preview was in an aspect of 2.35 but shrunk to a Flat ratio inside of the 2.35 ratio so it still had letterbox bars on the top and bottom as well as pillar box bars on the sides. Confusing I know but my point is that the prievew had effects that came out of the screen into the top and bottom bars just like Escape from Planet Earth had on its release. Did you notice this on the home version? Wonder if it was just and advertising ploy but like I said I have seen this effect a few times in movies. Thanks Ralph!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Saw the previews for this. The CGI looked amazing so I thought rentable. My wife and I lasted about 20 minutes and readily agreed to shut it off. I would agree with Ralph, very young children may like it. This adult could not stomach it. Glad it was only a Redbox rental. Sound and picture were outstanding but just could not make up for the script.

·
Registered
16,921 Posts
Watched this last weekend. A/V was good with great LFE support. The 3d was surprisingly subtle and conservative, especially for animation. Movie was geared toward young kids and did very little for me. Glad I rented.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro  /t/1525351/walking-with-dinosaurs-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24641817

Saw the previews for this. The CGI looked amazing so I thought rentable. My wife and I lasted about 20 minutes and readily agreed to shut it off. I would agree with Ralph, very young children may like it. This adult could not stomach it. Glad it was only a Redbox rental. Sound and picture were outstanding but just could not make up for the script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1525351/walking-with-dinosaurs-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24641997

Watched this last weekend. A/V was good with great LFE support. The 3d was surprisingly subtle and conservative, especially for animation. Movie was geared toward young kids and did very little for me. Glad I rented.

+1

Got to give it up for rentals. Looked and sounded fantastic but I could only stand the dialog for so long. Heck I even watched all of After Earth.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Picked this up for the kids on the cheap. Hopefully they will enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I ended up renting it on Vudu and my 6-yr-old liked it quite much. Didn't do much for me, or anyone else at home, though. I've been considering getting it cheap for him, too. ;)

Hey Taranteacher the kids were excited when I showed them today. Will be watching this weekend, hopefully :)

Reactions: Taranteacher

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Ralph you were generous with 2 1/2 stars this film was horrible. The kids lost interest quite quickly, and they told me to take it back lol.... Im going to give it away.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ralph you were generous with 2 1/2 stars this film was horrible. The kids lost interest quite quickly, and they told me to take it back lol.... Im going to give it away.
Greetings,

Ouch! Sorry Frank.. :eek:

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts