Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been reading here what people have been using on their walls, but the more I read, the more I am confused. Let me first tell you what size the room is and then explain what I had in mind for doing the walls and ceiling. I would then appreciate any suggestions and ideas.

The HT room will be converted from a third-bay garage (9.5’X20’). I know this is a little narrow, but I need to work with what I have. The outside wall is a block wall and the back wall is also block, but it has an inner-wall with sheetrock (I think the inner-wall is a 2X4 wall) with a door centered on the wall (no inner-wall on the outside wall, just block). This door will be used for the HT entryway. The wall in-between the garages is a 2X4 sheet-rocked wall. The ceiling is also sheet-rocked. The ceiling is 8.5’ high, but will lose a few inches from the acoustic ceiling tiles.

I don’t have the room to build complete 2X4 inner-walls, so what I have in mind is; on the outer wall (block wall) I was going to attach furring strips (1Xs) and lay styrofoam insulation sheets in-between the furring strips. I was then going to attach soundboard over this, attaching it with screws and liquid nails to the furring strips. Then attach carpet halfway up the walls (3’ or 4’?) and use GOM fabric on the upper half. The wall between the garages was going to be done the same way, except on this wall I was going to attach the soundboard directly to the drywall that is already there (no foam insulation). I would then put another layer of sheetrock on the other side of this wall (in the other garage). And if need be, before applying this layer of drywall I would first sandwich a layer of soundboard between them. I will be using acoustic ceiling titles glued directly to the sheetrock ceiling. Right now there is fiberglass insulation in the attic above this garage, but I was planning to put another layer up there after all work is done. BTW, I will be removing the garage door and replacing it with a wall.

I want to keep as much sound as possible from leaking-out, so I won't disturb my neighbors, but naturally I also want good room acoustics. The homes in my neighborhood have block sidewalls and framed stucco fronts and backs and are well insulated. The neighbor’s garage is about 20’ away from mine and their living quarters about 40’ away (both rough guesses). The block wall on my garage side (east side) is not insulated, but on the living quarters side (west side) of my house, the block wall (from what I have been told) is insulated. This block wall has an inner-wall, which would all be the same for my neighbor’s house. I just want to be sure that they will not be disturbed by any low bass sounds or any noise late at night. Right now we play movies pretty load on our living room entertainment system, which is located near the center of the house with no complaints, as of yet. However, the HT room will be much closer then that to our neighbors on the east side of us.

So does this sound like a good plan, or would you guys use something else on the walls then what I have described above? I have heard of someone putting batting material on the upper walls over their drywall before placing the GOM fabric on the sheetrock to cushion the hard surface. However, if I were using soundboard rather then drywall, would this not provide me with the same effect since the soundboard is slightly soft?

Thanks for any help and ideas anyone can provide :).

Best Regards :),

Don

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.