AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts on this subject and while I understand that the ceiling wall is best to be dark as well, that just won't happen anytime soon in my home. My wife is not a fan of black walls...

So the next best wall to paint a darkish color would be the wall where the plasma is on. Based on the photo provided (sorry but the quality camera I used is terrible) any color suggestions other than a black wall would be appreciated. The color of the wall you see is the color of the entire room.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showfull.php?photo=29866

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15466657

I've never heard of people painting walls a particular color for a plasma. They aren't projectors.

I agree - some ppl get a little over the top here.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We painted it a dark color to enhance the movie experience on a large screen.

I had a 57" CRT RPTV when we painted it.

Having the dark light controlled room with bias lighting made for a better picture and I firmly believe it reduces eyestrain and as a small bonus I was able to keep my contrast settings down to lengthen the life of the CRTs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15466657

I've never heard of people painting walls a particular color for a plasma. They aren't projectors.

Well if you think of it, even the bright color that the eye can detect off the wall while viewing TV can make a difference in the contrast, perhaps not by much but I think it would help. At least I think it makes sense. Eventualy I will add bias lighting.

In reference to the stand, I picked up a long aluminum tube and cut it in 4 equal lengths, all the wiring runs through those tubes. A regular wall mount holds up the plasma.

Although I like the darkish blue color I don't think it would match the color of our decor. The color would at least have to match the adjacent wall color...perhaps in the same tone?

Any ideas you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
if your gonna paint, paint because you want a change in color in general. if your going to paint to accomodate a friggin tv, put the brush down. painting sucks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd /forum/post/15468423

if your gonna paint, paint because you want a change in color in general. if your going to paint to accomodate a friggin tv, put the brush down. painting sucks!

We just recently painted the basement, but when I look at the bright wall it bothers the hell out of me....so this is something I want to do, besides, I like painting! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ryaxin - What colours are you working with in your living room? Have you sold your wife on the idea of doing a darker coloured wall? Perhaps you can convince her (for example) that a dark chocolate "accent" or "feature" wall would be nice behind the television, and do the rest of the room in a more mocha or latte type brown?

The wall behind my TV happens to be dark blue but not on purpose. It was that way when we moved in here, I actually really hate it but I guess I've "lucked out" since we got the Panny PZ800U set it's now in front of that wall.

If she has any interest at all in helping the high def situation in your house she might be amenable to the new paint/feature wall type of thing with the TV. My husband could care less, so I guess I'm lucky in that respect. I still want to paint this room because it's ugly, but if I do get to change it in here I'm going to make sure the wall behind the Panny stays a dark colour. Although I am with your wife in that I'm not willing to paint the wall black!!

Get her a bottle of her favourite wine, and pop Mamma Mia or Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 or maybe Sex and the City movie on (some chick flicks with pretty good PQ). You may not be able to stomach the movies, but it might work if you tell her it could look even better. "Honey, Carrie's wedding dress would look even BETTER with a dark wall behind the plasma!"

·
Registered
43 Posts
wat about black with a very faint red line painted near the top of the wall

it could be called something like "touch of color"

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
My house painter had the color he said was for flat screen wall installations.My room is what he called a wheat color from benjamin moore paint but the center panal where my pioneer plasma is hanging is a dark gray color.With all lights out except for a small 40 watt light the effect is stunning.The plasma disappears and all you see is the screen floating in a black space.Absolutely the best pq Ive ever seen from a 5 year old plasma.Cant wait to upgrade to a 10 g Kuro.I have a small special room set up for it with the same dark gray color in front where plasma will rest on a stand.Other three walls in this windowless room are a lighter gray.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 /forum/post/15469326

My house painter had the color he said was for flat screen wall installations.My room is what he called a wheat color from benjamin moore paint but the center panal where my pioneer plasma is hanging is a dark gray color.With all lights out except for a small 40 watt light the effect is stunning.The plasma disappears and all you see is the screen floating in a black space.Absolutely the best pq Ive ever seen from a 5 year old plasma.Cant wait to upgrade to a 10 g Kuro.I have a small special room set up for it with the same dark gray color in front where plasma will rest on a stand.Other three walls in this windowless room are a lighter gray.

I guess my next question would be what is the next best color other than black or grey?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Any neutral color should suffice, especially if you're using bias lighting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts