AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Based on discussions on the forum, I wanted to paint my home theater walls the recommended Kodak 18% grey. I liked the part where someone said "when the lights go down, the walls just disappear".

I dug out my Kodak 18% grey card that I still had from some prior photography work, and I found I liked the color, so off I went to Lowes to get a color match.

The card was a little hard to read on the color analyser, since it has a mottled surface. But the main color match guru was on duty, and he came up with a perfect match.

If you haven't seen 18% grey before, drop by a photography supply store and ask to see a Kodak grey card, or buy one and take it home and hold it up to your walls. I recommend seeing it first hand before investing in the paint, of course you could buy a quart and try it out, too.

Here's the formula that you should be able to duplicate at Lowes, or anywhere they sell Olympic Paints.

Paint: Olympic Interior Latex Satin, Base 3, P/N 72103, 1 Gallon

Tint Formula: 102-2Y44 103-1Y32.5 109-2Y11

· Registered
418 Posts
Great tip, thanks. Do you know how the kodak grey looks compared to a Stewart Firehawk screen? I'm thinking about painting the wall the screen is on, the kodak grey sounds great. However, it might look a little weird if it's the same color as the screen - you'd have an identical grey wall and screen, with a 3 inch black rectangular window frame in the middle (the velux border). Hey, maybe that wouldn't look so weird after all.

Corey J.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corey J,

18% grey is much much darker than a Greyhawk screen. It's called 18% because it reflects 18% of the light, which would be like a screen with a gain of 0.18! I will be hanging a Dalite Hight Contrast DA Mat screen, with a gain of .80

I'm going to start out just painting the screen wall -- with perhaps the rest of the room depending on how the wife likes the color.

AVSRocks -- I chose a satin finish as a compromise, although flat would be better for the reflectivity part. But I've heard the flat finish shows marks and is harder to clean. Since my theater doubles as a game room for a 3 year old and a five year old, the Satin will be a better choice for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.