AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I appologise if this has been thrashed out b4 but cannot find any answers in the previous forums, I am looking for a wall color that will not reflect the light from the overhead Projector, I have done the screen with GESSO and it works a treat, have also got Burgandy carpet now looking for a color to paint the walls. Is there to be a seperate color for the ceiling as well or do we just use the same color through out, your help will be appreciated...

Thanks

Mel

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Mel:

I just finished my theater and tried a few varieties of flat black paint to try and achieve a "no reflection" environment. Unfortunately, *any* paint, even the flatest black I could find, will reflect light. Flat black is the "best" paint option, but most people can't stomach having a a black room. Other options include trying to get close to "Koday 18% grey"--if you have a photography store near you, they could give you a sample, which you could take to a paint store to color match. Me, I ended up with black fabric on the walls and ceiling to minimize reflections--it works, but it costs more.

I don't know what brands of paint y'all have "down under," but I lot of people have tried the "textured" paints from Ralph Lauren (e.g., River Rock) and from Behr with success. The Ralph Lauren paint is actually made by Glidden, by the way. These textured paints have various shades of dark grey (actually a bit darker than Kodak 18% grey), and they have a subtle texture to them. They can be a real bear to apply, though, since they often require special rollers, brushes, etc. I used River Rock on the ceiling in my first theater, and aside from the nightmare of trying to apply it without stroke lines, etc., it worked fairly well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.