AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting an unfinished basement room into a media room. This forum has been very enlightening, and is probably one of the more valuable applications of the internet. anyway..my question

I am planning to apply a fiberglass based panel to my walls for sound absorption. I have read about GOM. There are other companies that make fabrics for cubicles, wall coverings and panels.

1. Is it necessary that the cloth be acoustically transparent. Can it be classified as a sound absorbing wall covering, and anything that get through will be absorbed by the fiberglass panel.

2.What does GOM cost.

3. Some on this forum seem to recommend different absorption recommendations for the lower 3ft of the walls and a more reflective wall at and above ear level. Am I understanding this correctly. i ask because I would like to cover as much wall as possible with a dark wood veneer.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
283 Posts
You'll need to use an acoustically transparent cloth in order to take advantage of the acoustic treatments behind the cloth. The way a sound absorptive fabric works is to absorb certain frequencies by a certain amount, whatever is not absorbed is reflected. It won't hit the acoustic treatment behind to be absorbed. In the very low frequencies, the sound waves will pass through the fabric and be minimally affected by the acoustic treatments behind it.

The wood veneer is going to wreak havoc on the listening room, but it will look pretty. GOM is about US$15/yard on a 66" bolt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
And BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
m&d, take a look at some of the links to people's comments in the construction forum and you may change your mind about the wood. I had planned on doing paint top and bottom with a chair rail in the middle and crown molding on top, I ended up doing the wood trim but also ended up using fabric all over the place. It looks really nice for a home theater.

Take a look.

Also, go to my theater page and you can see many people's theaters link'ed on my page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.