AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dedicated HT was already constructed when we bought our new home last year. It is directly below a "spare" bedroom on the first floor.

Due to mechanical run access, (for AC/HP lines), the rear portion of the room has a drop of 6 inches with acoustical tiles. The front portion of the room is a drywall ceiling.

The room is pretty well designed, but I was wondering what, if anything, could be done to reduce further the low freq transmission to the room above.

In doing some investigating, I found that the walls of the room have some "flex" to them. When I push on them, they make a slight creaking noise and move a decent amount. I can't see behind the drywall when looking up in the tiled portion of the ceiling. Is it safe to assume that the walls have been installed with channel behind? Not much else to do with the walls then?

The drywalled ceiling doesn't seem to have nearly as much flex, and I can't see above that at all. Any wall of telling what was installed, without destroying something to look?

Any ideas on additional things to do with the acoustically-tiled part of the room? I assume that is where the majority of the leakage is occuring.

FWIW, this only came up when we had guests staying in the room above this weekend. I didn't want to watch anything after they went to bed. Normally, any transmitted sound is not a problem in the rest of the house.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You would need to have a much better idea what's behind the walls. The flex may be due to steel studs, etc. Resilient channel in no way can be counted on to hold that load. I would not add to it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.