AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i have benq 1075 (1070+) with Optoma 1109 screen mat white (106').
The room is 4*3 meters. the left wall from screen is gray, the ceiling white and the other walls light yellow.

I would like to improve contrast (Blacks). Unfortunately i have too much reflections in the room, propably from the color of the walls and because screen is close to walls (70cm from Ceiling, and 35cm left and right).
I put nd2 hoya filter with no great improvment..

now im thinking 2 solutions.

1) paint the screen with caparol grau 20 with hvlp gun.

2) to darken walls with black (not permanent) fabric.

I would like your helo here! i bought a black fabric 4.3m x 1.6 m . Where is the best place to put it?

I have read in forum that a good solution would be to place around screen walls in a distance about 1. from screen.

I have an idea but i dont know if it is correct?
Could i place the fabric not at walls, but just around the screen?
I mean to hung the fabric from the top of the screen in order to be placed just near the viewing area?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Hello,

The room is 4*3 meters. the left wall from screen is gray, the ceiling white and the other walls light yellow.

I would like to improve contrast (Blacks). Unfortunately i have too much reflections in the room, propably from the color of the walls and because screen is close to walls (70cm from Ceiling, and 35cm left and right).

I would like your helo here! i bought a black fabric 4.3m x 1.6 m . Where is the best place to put it?

I have read in forum that a good solution would be to place around screen walls in a distance about 1. from screen.

I mean to hung the fabric from the top of the screen in order to be placed just near the viewing area?

Thank you
Treating the room is the best way to correct the problem. Place the fabric in any way you find appealing to prevent the light from the screen hitting light colored walls, ceiling and floor. When treating the room the ceiling is normally the biggest offender as it is normally the closest to the screen. In a small room side walls are next and floor would be last. The screen wall itself does not effect the image just your perception of the image. When the screen wall is all black and the sides and ceiling are black the screen looks to float in blackness..

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Hello,

Thank you
Ideally, you would have much more fabric than that. The side walls and rear wall should be completely covered, and the ceiling as well. The screen wall is least important in terms of light bouncing around the room. If you want to see the improvement with the fabric you have, then cut it into 2.15m halves and place it on both side walls beginning 0.25m in front of the screen from near the ceiling to 0.5m off the floor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you.

the fabric should be attached to wall?
or it would be better if it was hanged from ceiling to lay down to floor just near the scrren, in order to be real close right and left from screen?
if fabric attach to walls , then it would be 35cm left and right.
if it hanges from ceiling and just lay down , i could attach it near to screen , for example 5-10cm right and left? what would it be better?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
thank you.

the fabric should be attached to wall?
or it would be better if it was hanged from ceiling to lay down to floor just near the scrren, in order to be real close right and left from screen?
if fabric attach to walls , then it would be 35cm left and right.
if it hanges from ceiling and just lay down , i could attach it near to screen , for example 5-10cm right and left? what would it be better?
Hanging from the ceiling right at the edge of the screen would be better, except you didn't say how tall the ceiling is, and if you hang only half the piece of fabric (2.15m) it might not come close enough to the floor. As I said, to do it right, you need more fabric than the 4.3m piece you say you have. Using thumbtacks to hold fabric against the ceiling would be effective as well. From you post, it sounds like you are renting or have some other reason not to do something "permanent", but thumbtacking to the ceiling can be removed easily with few mark left behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts