AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is a small issue on a thread that's made for home theatre system, but I'm assuming the people on this thread would have the most information regarding this situation.


The wall I want to mount my tv on is a section of wall that extends out kind of like the rear of a closet. The portion I'm concerned about is 38" wide. I spent an hour yesterday with a stud finder and drill, and this section of wall has absolutely NO studs other than at the corners, 38" apart. I'd like to mount my 40" samsung on this wall but need alternative solutions since I can't mount it to typical studs. The mount I'm using was designed for 16" studs and weighs 30 pounds. I'm not about to mount my tv straight to dry wall so I'm looking for some advice. My only idea would be to put a large piece of plywood across the 38" span and mount to that. Please provide any advice you can give. I'd like to keep cutting out sections of dry wall as a last resort. Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
I would just cut the drywall and put a horizontal 2x4 brace between the existing studs and be done with it. It may sound painful to do but it in the end it will be done right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
38" is a long way with no additional studs. What is the stud spacing on your other walls? 16" or 24"? I would first use a small finish nail and drive it through the wall (above the base board) wherever a stud "should" be. If you do not hit a stud move over 1/2" and repeat...It may take a few attempts.


If that does not work can you post a picture of the "studdless" wall in question? If not can you give us a little more information? Is it in a corner? Are there doors on either side etc...


Without seeing what you area is like my first thoughts are building a thin cabinet that would attach to the fall from floor to ceiling. Maybe just deep enough to store CD's and/or DVD's behind raised panel doors.


Another option would be to take the drywall down, install the proper bracing and re-install the drywall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Proper way would be to add studs to wall. but.....


What you could do is get a piece of MDF and nail it to the 2 studs 38" apart. The you could just hang the wall mount on the MDF. If its 38" apart, the tv should cover it.


(not sure if MDF is strong enough but something like MDF)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture. I would like the mount to go on the yellow portion of the wall above the thermostat. It is an articulating mount. There is ventilation that runs from the bottom of the green wall where the vent is (behind the tv) up the wall into the ceiling. I know this from when I drilled a couple holes. There is no stud along the thermostat either. There is nothing behind that wall except the ventilation, and then you can see the corner in the green wall, on the other side of that is a bedroom. My stud finder found nothing along the entire span of that wall except one that seemed to be going horizontal. That was near the top of the wall near the ceiling. Other than that I haven't been able to find anything solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacross15 /forum/post/17013636


Here is a picture. I would like the mount to go on the yellow portion of the wall above the thermostat. It is an articulating mount. There is ventilation that runs from the bottom of the green wall where the vent is (behind the tv) up the wall into the ceiling. I know this from when I drilled a couple holes. There is no stud along the thermostat either. There is nothing behind that wall except the ventilation, and then you can see the corner in the green wall, on the other side of that is a bedroom. My stud finder found nothing along the entire span of that wall except one that seemed to be going horizontal. That was near the top of the wall near the ceiling. Other than that I haven't been able to find anything solid.


First thing I would do is to remove the ventilation grill at the bottom. (I am assuming that it is an air return and not a supply. Look inside and see what you see. You might want to do the same with the thermostat. You can easily enlarge the hole where the wire comes through to have a look at what is back there. (Good construction practice dictates a 2X4 stud every 16" and most building codes enforce this requirement. The only exception to this is if 2X6 studs are used. Then they can be 24 inches apart.) This will also allow you to determine the thickness of the drywall-- 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8".


As I look at your picture, I am wondering what that three sided bump-out is really for. Is it a closet that opens into another room or hallway? Most of the time, builders do not simply enclose floor space without a reason???


You might also try pushing with your thumb in the middle of that 38 inch open span. Does it deflect any? If there are no studs in back of it, I would expect that you would be able to deflect 3/8" of 1/2" drywall a 1/16" or more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 /forum/post/17013221


Proper way would be to add studs to wall. but.....


What you could do is get a piece of MDF and nail it to the 2 studs 38" apart. The you could just hang the wall mount on the MDF. If its 38" apart, the tv should cover it.


(not sure if MDF is strong enough but something like MDF)

I would not use MDF. Use some 3/4 inch ply. I would even double it making it 1.5 inches if you can't do as discussed below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1940 /forum/post/17014669


First thing I would do is to remove the ventilation grill at the bottom. (I am assuming that it is an air return and not a supply. Look inside and see what you see. You might want to do the same with the thermostat. You can easily enlarge the hole where the wire comes through to have a look at what is back there. (Good construction practice dictates a 2X4 stud every 16" and most building codes enforce this requirement. The only exception to this is if 2X6 studs are used. Then they can be 24 inches apart.) This will also allow you to determine the thickness of the drywall-- 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8".


As I look at your picture, I am wondering what that three sided bump-out is really for. Is it a closet that opens into another room or hallway? Most of the time, builders do not simply enclose floor space without a reason???


You might also try pushing with your thumb in the middle of that 38 inch open span. Does it deflect any? If there are no studs in back of it, I would expect that you would be able to deflect 3/8" of 1/2" drywall a 1/16" or more.

Excellent post. If your house was built reasonably recently, then it has to have 2x4 studs OC (on center) every 16 inches in your walls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After pulling apart the thermostat like previously suggested, it turns out that there are horizontal studs all along this section of the wall. I decided to use two 2x8's placed together, the top one screwed at top and sides, and the bottom screwed at the sides. I'll then screw the mount into the center of this fixture so it bisects the line between the two boards. I hung the first yesterday before my drill died and was able to put all of my weight on it without a budge so hopefully it'll hold the weight of my mount and tv, since the way I was hanging on it was all shear. My tv and mount weight 65-70 pounds all together so I don't think it will be an issue.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top