AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a lot of time on this site when I bought my first HDTV and found it to be very helpful. Well about 5 years have passed and now I just got my first plasma (42). My question is this; can I mount and 90lb plasma on an interior wall with metal studs? There are no additional supports in the wall as far as can remember from when the home was constructed 8 years ago. Anyone have experience doing this in a Florida built home? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd be interested if there was a real solution. I ran into this problem with my house and this is what I did. I lucked out because behind my wall was my closet. I did this: two piece of solid wood (thin but solid), that are longer than the gap between the metal studs. Mount the mount on the first piece of wood, then line up both pieces a predrill holes. Get some long bolts/lock washers/nuts, and place the plasma mount and wood on the front side and the other pieces on the backside (in my case in my closet) then bolt the piece together making a sandwhich. Tighten until no vertical movement is possible without crushing drywall. I'd be curious on the professional method, although its been a year and no problems...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I believe you deal with it the same way you deal with cabinets and metal studs; you place 2x4s between then (perpendicular) for the added support. I probably would go at least an extra stud bay in each direction.

Hopefully a professional will chime in.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit /forum/post/0

I believe you deal with it the same way you deal with cabinets and metal studs; you place 2x4s between then (perpendicular) for the added support. I probably would go at least an extra stud bay in each direction.

Hopefully a professional will chime in.

Lol, not a professional, but check out this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773979

·
Registered
492 Posts
I believe you can mount into metal studs using Togglers. Google for them. You'll need a couple to spread out the weight, but I haver personally seen two plasma installations using these. I gave each mount a good grab and shake and couldn't make anything move so much as 1/16th of an inch. If each of these cases 6 togglers were used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did see some toggles listed on a bunch of websites selling wall mounts but the load rating was 35lbs/stud. With that in mind I assume I would need to mount the wall plate in to 3 metal studs with 2 toggles / stud. Does this sound right?

Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont know if htis would work but if you get a 1/2" piece of plywood and screw it to 2 of the studs and then mount the plasma mount to it that, it would probably hold it just fine. I dont think you need to mount another piece of wood on th other side thats probably over kill in my opinion. The metal studs appear flimsy but once you put on the drywall that adds all the shear strength need. The only other thing is to open up the wall and add studs inside the metal studs.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.