AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 500U a couple days ago (not delivered yet) and wanted to get a wall mount for it. But I understand there's a problem because of the "bulge" at the bottom of the back of the unit. People have mentioned having to use furring strips to modify their wall mounts to accept the 500U. I don't want to have to patch together something to make it work. I want a wall mount that will work with the unit "as is".

I've called around to a few places that specialize in mounts, and they've told me they're aware of the problem and are looking into it. A couple places have told me they have calls in to Peerless, Sanus, and Chief requesting a solution. But none of the dealers have gotten back to me with any info yet.

Does anyone here know which mounts are compatible? I'm looking for a plain mount that sits over the double gang electrical and cable outlet directly behind the screen. If the outlets are a problem for a plain flat wall mount, I would consider an articulating mount if the price was reasonable (under $400).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have you tried calling the manufacturers themselves? Often times you'll get a much faster answer taking it into your own hands rather than dealing with someone that will do it when it's convenient for them. Here are the #'s I could find on their sites:

Chief Mfg. 1-800-582-6480

Peerless 1-800-729-0307

Sanus 1-800-359-5520

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nothing to add, but I'm eager to hear someone with a responce. I've got my 50PX500 sitting on a credenza until I get my cabling and wiring nailed down, then I'll wall mount. Right now, I've been told the only solution is strips of wood behind the mount. Not a preferred alternative. The TV is spectacular, but it definitely is deeper due to the bulge than other plasmas I've seen. I'm mounting it over a credenza flanked by bookshelves so its not that much of an issue that it will stick out a couple of inches more than typical. But if I were going for a wall mount on a clean flat wall, where it can be clearly viewed from the side, I would not be very happy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo
Have you tried calling the manufacturers themselves? Often times you'll get a much faster answer taking it into your own hands rather than dealing with someone that will do it when it's convenient for them. Here are the #'s I could find on their sites:

Chief Mfg. 1-800-582-6480

Peerless 1-800-729-0307

Sanus 1-800-359-5520
I called Chief and they are aware of the problem. They don't have any solution yet. They have no timetable when they might have a compatible product.

I called Peerless and you have to buy an adaptor plate in addition to the mount. The adaptor plate is PLP-PAN42TX for $115. That isn't an acceptable solution to me because it doubles the price of a flat wall mount for the 50PX500U.

I called Sanus and spoke to an unpleasant representative that obviously didn't want to help. But at least they had compatible product. On their website under "Information Center", click on "MountFinder". They list several compatible mounts.

So I guess my only solution is to purchase a Sanus. I hate to give business to a company with a representative that has such a poor attitude. But beggars can't be choosers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to have to hear that you had a problem with sanus they are usually the best I think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrokkos
Nothing to add, but I'm eager to hear someone with a responce. I've got my 50PX500 sitting on a credenza until I get my cabling and wiring nailed down, then I'll wall mount. Right now, I've been told the only solution is strips of wood behind the mount. Not a preferred alternative. The TV is spectacular, but it definitely is deeper due to the bulge than other plasmas I've seen. I'm mounting it over a credenza flanked by bookshelves so its not that much of an issue that it will stick out a couple of inches more than typical. But if I were going for a wall mount on a clean flat wall, where it can be clearly viewed from the side, I would not be very happy.
If it were not for such excellent PQ, I would not be purchasing a 500U. The extra depth defeats the purpose many of us buy a plasma for. Like you, fortunately, it doesn't matter in my case. My mounting area is recessed and the extra thickness of the unit won't matter. If I just had a flat wall, I would not choose the 500U. It is too thick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I emailed several places about this, and the first reply I received came from Mounts and More. Here is the one they recommended.

Peerless PSWT / PLWT Series (includes Plasma Mounting plate)
http://www.mountsandmore.com/prods/P...e/0PPE0065.htm

They told me to select the "PSWT PAN42PX" model plate which fits 37inch, 42inch, and 50 inch "PX" Panasonic model plasmas (models that have the bulge in the back).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchester
I emailed several places about this, and the first reply I received came from Mounts and More. Here is the one they recommended.

Peerless PSWT / PLWT Series (includes Plasma Mounting plate)
http://www.mountsandmore.com/prods/P...e/0PPE0065.htm

They told me to select the "PSWT PAN42PX" model plate which fits 37inch, 42inch, and 50 inch "PX" Panasonic model plasmas (models that have the bulge in the back).
Your info confirms what Peerless told me. Luckily, it appears MountsandMore has a "combo" plate and adaptor for a discounted price. That should work for most people. But after reviewing the drawings, it doesn't look like it will work for my situation.

My mounting area has a double gang electrical outlet for the entertainment equipment and a cable/satellite plate right where the plasma will be mounted. I don't think I'd have enough clearance with the PSWT model. So I think I have to use something like the Sanus VMSA articulating mount to ensure I have room for the electrical and cable outlets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just received a TH42-PX50U (not 500) yesterday with a Peerless flat wall mount (SF 660P). Can anyone tell me if the bulge is only on the 500, and not the 50? I don't want to start drilling with this mount to find out it won't work.

Looking at the TV I don't notice any 'bulge', but I might not know what I'm looking for.

thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's only on the 500u.

According to the sanus site, the VMPL and VMPL50 should work with the 500u. Has anyone used this to mount a 500u without any problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infosponge
I just bought a 500U a couple days ago (not delivered yet) and wanted to get a wall mount for it. But I understand there's a problem because of the "bulge" at the bottom of the back of the unit. People have mentioned having to use furring strips to modify their wall mounts to accept the 500U. I don't want to have to patch together something to make it work. I want a wall mount that will work with the unit "as is".

I've called around to a few places that specialize in mounts, and they've told me they're aware of the problem and are looking into it. A couple places have told me they have calls in to Peerless, Sanus, and Chief requesting a solution. But none of the dealers have gotten back to me with any info yet.

Does anyone here know which mounts are compatible? I'm looking for a plain mount that sits over the double gang electrical and cable outlet directly behind the screen. If the outlets are a problem for a plain flat wall mount, I would consider an articulating mount if the price was reasonable (under $400).
This is a copy of a previous posting regarding the ability to mount my TH-50PX500U.

I recently received and mounted my TH-50PX500U to the wall using a Sanus VMPL50 flat mount that mounts the Plasma 2.5" from the wall. This appears to be the closest that the 500U will be able to mount. There is still a bit of ability to tilt the screen (although not the full travel of the mount) allowing for wiring connections for those with a good tactile sense or a convenient mirror to help. The plastic cover for the wiring will not be able to be used when mounted this way. The mounting holes are spaced 26" apart horizontally with about a 12.5" vertical spacing.

Be sure to have two people to install; especially if it's in a nook with close tolerances on each side of the unit!

I have a two-outlet electrical box and a 2 1/2" diameter cable port (used a desktop computer cable grommet) to ensure a clean look. With this mounting the front surface of the screen is 6" from the wall. I am completely satisfied with it and recommend it as a mounting solution.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like you have almost the same situation I have. Thanks for the info. But I can't use it. Hopefully this thread and your info will help someone though.

After all the research I've done and all the help I've received here, I figured out mounting it on the wall would be too high. In order to clear my satellite and home theater receiver on the top shelf of my equipment stand, I would have to mount the plasma above eye level on the wall. I don't want to have to look up at the screen. I also don't want to use a tilt mount to point down. So my only option is to clear the top shelf of equipment and use the stand that comes with the 500U to place it there. Both receivers will have to go on the floor under my equipment stand.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But it was not fun, and though I was hesitant to install it because clearly the wall mount (Sanus, i do not recall the mount but it was the cheap one for arouhd 170 @ Best Buy) did not have the necessary parts I made it wor, and it acutally does not look bad given the bulge at the bottom.

FYI, I am not handy so forgive me if I bastardize the terms, however the long "screwbolts" they provide once you place the washer and the all of the pieces on the bolt are clearly about a half inch short of grabbing once you put them in the TV. I went to a local hardware store and got four bolts (ratchet, which made me nervous) and bolted it one last Sunday. Its been a week and I have had no issue.

I weigh 170 and I hung on the mount for a good 5 seconds and the thing didn't budge. One more thing, be careful when/if you remove the TV from the stand. One of the pieces snapped right off when we lifted it vertically out of the stand. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am using the PLA-1 with PX42? adapter articulating wall mount for my 50PX500U plasma. This mount is everything I wanted and more. It is not necessarily for the stealthy install as the TV will sit about 3 or 4 inches away from the wall (in addition to the thickness of the TV. However, it can fully extend to about 2.5 feet away from the wall and swivel about 270 degrees (only the wall limits this rotation). The bulge presents NO PROBLEM for this mount. I highly recommend this mount.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Installed the Omnimount tilt bracket this weekend and it has no problems with the slight bulge in the back. There is even enough space for me to tilt the screen down a few degrees before the back/bottom of the tv hits the wall. I used the 4 huge lag bolts that came with the bracket and I'm sure it would hold at least 300 pounds. My neighbor and I took turns hanging on it without any problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.