AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All,

I presently have my 42" Pioneer plasma on a table-top swivel, so I can see it in the family room and also (when swiveled) from the kitchen. Recently I saw a wall mount at Sears that could do that, but it cost over $500! I understand that some pretty huge stresses are applied to such an item (the tv is 65lbs), and I don't want to go problematically cheap, but can anyone point to a set-up that does that for much less money?

If not, an alternative would be to buy a much simpler straight mount and then just get an extra little TV for the kitchen area. A new TV, though, would cost some change, take some space, and require me to run some new wiring...

Ideas?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
62 Posts
There's a HUGE gap between brick-and-mortar pricing (usually MSRP) and online pricing when it comes to tv mounts - I know - I just bought one (Peerless)

Based on your description, perhaps an "articulating" mount would suit you. Articulating mounts allow the tv to sit flat against the base of the mount, or extend and pivot in both directions; that's what I bought. It depends on the mount, but some of them allow to tv to extend almost 30" away from the wall, and then pivot the tv either way.

You should be able to purchase a quality articulating mount for your 42" tv for ~$250 online. Most of the ones you see are universal mounts that will fit almost any tv, you can also get a dedicated mount that requires a tv-specific adapter; these usually cost a little more, but provide a cleaner installation if you plan to have the mount exposed for any length of time (as you described below when viewing from different rooms).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the lead. I looked at the Peerless site, however, and got the impression that an articulating mount with necessary bracketing would still run well over $400. Not sure, though, because the site doesn't make it easy to survey pricing or sort according to pricing (or any other feature).

David

·
Registered
9,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada Bing /forum/post/15438075

Thanks for the lead. I looked at the Peerless site, however, and got the impression that an articulating mount with necessary bracketing would still run well over $400. Not sure, though, because the site doesn't make it easy to survey pricing or sort according to pricing (or any other feature).

David

Check forum sponsor above, monoprice.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree w/ JChin. Check monoprice.com. They have great mounts at great prices. I bought one from them to mount my Pio 5080 and it works great. For an articulating mount it will be around $70 shipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.