AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I'm a bit stumped trying to get this wall mount sorted out so I thought I would post here and see if anyone had any helpful advice.

I have a Chief TS525TU ( http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/TS525TU ) mount and a Samsung UN55F8000 LCD.

After drilling a few holes and taking a peek inside the wall, I believe I have 2 layers of drywall on top of each other and then an air gap of 1.5 inches until another set of 2 layers of drywall. Essentially I have 1 1/4" of drywall | 1.5" of air | 1 1/4" of drywall.

I believe I have found a stud, but it appears to only be 1.5" in depth since that's the amount of open space in the wall between the drywall.

I can only find one stud. There isn't anything 16" or 24" to the right of the stud. To the left is a fireplace.

Here are my questions.

1. Can I use the 1.5" stud for the lag bolts that came with the wall mount?

2. Are toggler bolts good enough for the other 2 bolts that I need instead of a stud? Will toggler bolts fit into a space that only has a 1.5" opening for movement (how far to toggler bolts go into the wall)?

On the other side of the wall is the interior wall of a closet. I'm willing to use the inside of the closet to help fasten the wall mount to the wall.

Does it make sense to drill holes from one side of the wall through to the inside of the closet, and then mount 2x4s on the inside of the closet and have the bolts fasten to that? I'm thinking an 8" lag bolt that goes through the wall, through the 2x4, and then bolts to the back of the 2x4. Would this provide any more stability than the 1.5" stud and toggler bolts?

FWIW, the TV is 37lbs.

Any help/guidance/tips is appreciated.

·
Banned
118 Posts
If the stud is at a spot that works for the center of your set and as long as the provided lag bolts are at least 3 inches then that's all you need. Just put a lag bolt on top and bottom hole obviously, test it with something weighing 45lbs and at the full extension of your mount if you still feel uneasy about mounting set. Try to be at center of stud at least which hopefully has 3.5 inches of width.. When torquing bolts torque a little on one then switch back and forth so they don't get over torqued and snap on you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did some further investigation and have some information to add.

The house was recently remodeled (we just moved in) and I found a few pictures of the original space before the remodel.

It appears I was incorrect on my belief that there are 2 layers of drywall.

There is 1 layer of drywall on top of a sheet of plywood. The plywood is actually 1/2" thick and covers the entire wall.

So, revamping a bit here.

Is it safe to mount the TV using toggler bolts to the plywood? Also assuming one side of the mount would be mounted to a stud.

The stud is not centered on the wall. I can use one side of the mount on the stud, but the other side will have to be mounted to the plywood.

Thanks.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Toggle bolt will be fine on plywood, but if it's osb type plywood don't over tighten. Might need to try with a 2 inch or a 2.5 inch long toggle bolt.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing. If there's only 1.5" of depth then the studs are either sideways or 2" by 2". The plywood makes no sense at all. You may have to add a spacer or washers to the toggle bolts due to the lack of depth. I'd be more concerned with the whole wall falling down. You pretty much have to a toggle bolt and take measurements before you install them, if you install them and they hit the inside wall you'll lose the butterfly inside the wall taking them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts