AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks.. Have a mounting question for a 42" panel. The wall i need to mount on is a short wall thats really only going to give me one stud in the center of the wall to install on. Ive been looking at some of the mounts and it appears that they all have vertical mounting bars to the sides.. Any thoughts on how i might be able to mount? Can i simply mount to the single stub in the center? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldn't mount a 80lb to a single stud. Cut out the dry wall and add a stud. I just mounted on 42. Didn't want to spend the $200 they wanted for a mount. Went to Lowes and got some alu 1/8" right angle and made a detectable mount in about 2 hours. 2 horizonal beams with 4 locating/hanging pins.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Mounting to only one stud alone is not safe.

Is there a way you can screw 2 bolts into the stud and then screw 2 bolts into the drywall with Toggle bolts?

So 4 bolts are holding it onto the wall.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think ill just have to add some cross braces inside the wall... I just finished remodeling this house (hadnt planned on living there) and the thought of now cutting out that drywall really sucks.. Hmmm.. the wall backs to a closet... that would be ideal to cut away from there though.. Then any crappy finish work i do wont be seen...

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you bolt the middle holes of a regular tilt or flat mount into the stud, you could use heavy duty toggle anchors for the other attachment points. You drive the anchors into the wall, then as you put the screw into the anchor, a toggle flips out of the anchor and grabs the wall from the inside. I have a cast iron pot rack that sits perpendicularly to the wall (making it a second class lever when loaded) mounted this way, and it is very solid. I'm not a contractor or engineer, but I think you'll be fine if you have two screws mounted to the stud and 4, 6 or 8 screws mounted with these anchors.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The single stud peerless looks like the thing... I asked a few folks about the weight and they felt that since the panel mounts so close to the wall.. the weight is transfered to the wall and ill be just fine with the 75lbs weight..thanks for the input folks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I personally would have a hard time sleeping at night IF I knew my $3K plasma was held on by dry wall "mollys". Build it and hang on it, if you weigh 200 lbs and it feels real solid then maybe. If you land on your a$$ with dry wall dust then you know it won't work AND the wall will now be open for the 2nd stud!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no mollys... simply mounted to the stud with lags.. the mount is designed for this type of install.. again.. thanks for the input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.