AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted my Panny 42" Plasma on the wall and wantto run the wires through the wall now. I do not want to add a outlet in the middle of the wall so want to run the power wires in the wall. I do not have any insulation so I thought maybe about just dropping a metal conduit thru the wall and run the power wire through it? Is this really that much of a fire hazard that I cant just drop the tv power wire inside the hollow wall? Do I have to use conduit? Any other recomendations?

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhunter /forum/post/0

I just mounted my Panny 42" Plasma on the wall and wantto run the wires through the wall now. I do not want to add a outlet in the middle of the wall so want to run the power wires in the wall. I do not have any insulation so I thought maybe about just dropping a metal conduit thru the wall and run the power wire through it? Is this really that much of a fire hazard that I cant just drop the tv power wire inside the hollow wall? Do I have to use conduit? Any other recomendations?

No one is going to tell you what you can or cannot do in your house...that being said, I personally would not do that in my house. I don't think that it a major fire hazard, although I think that it is illegal (against code) to run a power cord inside a wall cavity, conduit or not.

I would either do it properly (run a outlet behind your TV) or run a paintable raceway on the wall, and run all you wires inside there.

This has been discussed in detail before on this forum, I believe .

·
Registered
474 Posts
I dont think Id run the conduit for power. Have an outlet installed. They make boxes specifically for that kind of installation and it shouldnt be much more labor for running a new power line. There might be a fixture on the floor below you can borrow power from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.