AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're building a 16x24 bonus/family room, which will server as our home theater (tv, not a projector/screen). My dilemma is where to mount the 52" LCD on the 16' wall, given that there's a window taking up about 5 of those 16' on the right side of the wall.

My wife seems to think the room would look better with the tv centered on the available 11' of wall space, but I'm concerned about how that will force the couch and recliner too far to the left side of the room. I do like the idea of having more open space on the right side of the room (e.g. a nice play area for my daughter).

The other option is to mount the tv centered in the entire room/wall, but I'm not sure the aesthetics are good with the tv so close to that window.

I've attached a drawing of the two layouts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Why don't you setup both and try them out for a few days/weeks before you decide?

If that is not possible then setup the furniture first. You might find that you want the couch further from the french doors than the first image shows. Once the furniture is setup place the TV where it is best viewed by the majority of the seating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's feasible to try both tv positions in true viewing tests, because the mount would have to move, and the center channel speaker location relies on the tv location (all being installed by a HT company once the room is done.

I do like your idea about setting up some furniture in the room to see how the various layouts work. We'll give that a shot.

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
150 Posts
I vote available wall space... you eye will that window into a boundary... and the TV should be centered between it and the other wall. If not it will actually look off centered. But then again, that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobogs /forum/post/15561854

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's feasible to try both tv positions in true viewing tests, because the mount would have to move, and the center channel speaker location relies on the tv location (all being installed by a HT company once the room is done.

I do like your idea about setting up some furniture in the room to see how the various layouts work. We'll give that a shot.

Thanks!

Gary

Don't you have a bookshelf or something that can simulate the height as the mount and test it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj /forum/post/15561864

I vote available wall space... you eye will that window into a boundary... and the TV should be centered between it and the other wall. If not it will actually look off centered. But then again, that is just my opinion.

I agree with this one. You want it centered with the available wall space.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobogs /forum/post/15558256

We're building a 16x24 bonus/family room, which will server as our home theater (tv, not a projector/screen).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gary

If your room is 16x24' then your drawing is way off scale. You have the 16' dimension on your long wall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the constructive reply, ScreenShot. I'll make sure I pick up AutoCAD on my way home from work, and reattach the jpg.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobogs /forum/post/15564794

Thanks for the constructive reply, ScreenShot. I'll make sure I pick up AutoCAD on my way home from work, and reattach the jpg.

You ask for help and then get upset/sarcastic when I suggest that a more accurate drawing would be helpful?

Post a pic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've considered that, but an extending/swiveling mount would keep the tv too far from the wall, even in its compressed state...not a good look for a flat wall installation.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd also vote for centering on the available wall space, not so much for aesthetics, but I think having a potentially very bright window right next to the display might detract from the viewing experience. But if you decide to go with the other layout, I would suggest using some wall art or a ficus tree or something to balance out the left hand side to make it appear as through the TV is centered between the window and whatever you choose to put over there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts