Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

During construction of my brother-in-law's house he had them install speaker wires for a pair of outdoor speakers which I've just finished helping him install on the back porch.

They routed the in-wall speaker wire to an outlet plate (next to the back door) where a wall mounted volume control should go.

The builders didn't install the actual volume control unit though, so I've been looking for some on the net. They seem to range from $35 to $50.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these controls. Specifically:

-do I need to closely match the wattage, voltage, and impedance of the control to the amplifier?

-do those prices seem about right for what I am looking for?

The receiver driving the outdoor speakers will be 85Wx2.

Here are two I've found:

smarthome.com/8250.html

lashen.com/vendors/csispeco/Installation/decorator_WallPlates.asp

Thanks for any advice.

Rick

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rick,

FYI. The controls that Johnla specified are rated at only 50 watts per channel. You said your receiver/amp is doing 85 watts per channel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, is the receiver/amp REALLY doing 85WPC, or that just what it is rated? Depending on the brand, it could be putting out a whole lot less, and 50WPC is probably fine. Furthermore, if you have it routed through an impedance matching switchbox, it could be getting less still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was a little off, it's actually only 80W/ch. It's a Denon AVR-2000. I don't believe it's routed through an impedance matching switchbox.

I appreciate the continuing info.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Parts express also has them in models, rated for higher wattages than the ones I linked to. But of course, those are sold for a higher price as well. My guess is though, that the 50watt ones should work OK with a 80watt amp/receiver.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I use a rotary one for the bedroom. Cost about $25 at Lowes 3-4 years ago. Probably rated 50 wpc. Works fine - only thing is it appears to be power linear, not sound level linear - i.e. top of dial is -0 dB, middle of the dial is -3 dB, 1/4 way up dial is -6 dB, and the first notch is about -10 dB. I end up using it as off/on more than volume.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the 50w control on the 80w amp.

Amp manufacturers are NOTORIOUS for overrating their power outputs.

And even if the amp could put out a solid 80w continuous, will you really be driving your speakers at maximum volume continously?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.