AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Recently just started to have the craving to no longer stare at my 55" tv shoved in a corner and decided to go FULL articulating wall-mount install (Something in me snapped I guess!) Awkward angle..neck pain..etc.

I am installing the modest 55" TV and have decided the ideal height based on my seating position (majority).

The TV is 47.5" across (width) and 27.5" (height) (55" diagonal).

Now the wall is odd.

I know studs are supposed to be 16" or 24" but this wall is just...unusual....

The studs are completely (seem to be) uneven!

I am using a Zircon e50 stud finder...which honestly sucks. I ordered a CH stud finder for the center magnet soon. It could be the stud finder is bad..or poor - or both. But I expected more from a $20 device.

Anyways if it is to be trusted..there ARE studs on the wall...but they're happening in odd intervals.. They definitely seem to be 2"x4" and measure oddly...Some are 6" apart, another is 10", then one at 12", and then at 6".

Basically it's some weird structure according to my CRAPOLA studfinder.

At the moment I'm trying to think...

If these stud widths are to be believed - then how do I do it? I refuse to use SNAP toggle bolts (a friend of mine keeps telling me to use it - my 55" TV will be 'JUST FINEE!'). But my INNER physics spidey senses tell me "that seems like a really piss poor idea! Don't listen to your friend!" I've seen drywall..it's like this...flimsy sheetrock type material that barely seems capable of extreme weight measures.

So I'm lost..frustrated..and can only turn to the EXPERTS on AVS (where I come to when I'm at a loss for anything audio/video related).

I feel like I need to use a PIECE of wood...to drill into 1 stud...and another stud which is unevenly spaced for this mounted install to work...thoughts?

I'm not sure on what sort of..wood I need (what it would even be called - plywood?)
And also what dimensions? If sheetrock is already 1-2 inches deep....and I add say a plywood that is cut for lets say the length of my wall bracket from one stud to another (and that would be like 20"x4") (manual says wood must be 3.5 inches in depth)...then do they even make screws 7 inches long for me to drill into the WHOLE wood plywood...INTO the DRYWALL (and past it)?

I mean I'm not knowledgeable at all about screw lengths..but I don't think they make a 10" long screw do they?

Any help...from anyone here. Would appreciate it like crazy!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
A lot of articulated mounts are kind of like shallow boxes that you mount INTO the wall. Kind of like a wall safe. All you really need to do is find the 2 studs that will attach to the edges of the mount, the you just cut a a hole in the wall and attach the mount to those studs. You can then nail in cross members to attach the top and bottom of the mount. It's actually pretty easy. Seems messy at 1st, but once everything is in place, the tv covers it all anyway.

The best way - results wise anyway, is don't even worry about the studs - at 1st. The 1st thing you want to do is mark out on the wall EXACTLY where you want the tv to be. Then with a pencil, draw on the wall where the mount would need to be, in order for your tv to end up where you want it. THEN you worry about the studs. Because at that point if your studs don't line up, you can always beef them up width wise to accommodate your mount.

Hope that made sense.

Reactions: Z1-B

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Greetings,

I also feel much better if my TV mount is in something solid like studs. Where I wanted to mount my TV there was only one stud that the mount would actually hit (for me to keep the TV where I wanted) so I came up with the following. I bought a solid 1" board from Lowes that was four feet long 1 inch (3/4) thick and I believe 18 inches wide. I cut it down to three feet and mounted this board into the studs and then mounted the TV mount to this board with heavy duty 1 inch lag screws as well as the one stud the mount covered. The TV covers the board so you don't see it and if you did you could just paint it the wall color to blend in. I hope this makes sense to you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reactions: Z1-B

·
Registered
21 Posts
Studs width's are not always perfect. If you do not trust your stud finder, you can always drill very small pilot holes through the drywall to see if there is a stud behind it. Drywall is only 1/2" or 5/8" in depth so it will not take much.

Most mounts are very flexible for stud locations. As long as you can find 2 studs somewhere within the width of the mount, you will be okay.

Do not use drywall anchors ever. Use the provided bolts only.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I also feel much better if my TV mount is in something solid like studs. Where I wanted to mount my TV there was only one stud that the mount would actually hit (for me to keep the TV where I wanted) so I came up with the following. I bought a solid 1" board from Lowes that was four feet long 1 inch (3/4) thick and I believe 18 inches wide. I cut it down to three feet and mounted this board into the studs and then mounted the TV mount to this board with heavy duty 1 inch lag screws as well as the one stud the mount covered. The TV covers the board so you don't see it and if you did you could just paint it the wall color to blend in. I hope this makes sense to you.

Regards,

RTROSE
The TV mount manual says wall plate MUST be drilled into 3.5 inches TOTAL...were you hanging a big tv? I dont think a 1.75 inch thick board is gonna cut it. That is where a lot of my confusion is. If I get 3.5 inch thick wood (whatever its called) ...then drill into that...we have about 1/2" or 5/8" of drywall to also go into ....not to mention the studs behind said drywall for the wood to hang on.. So that's about 3.5+1/2"+3.5" wood" = 7.5" i need to drill.

Are there even screws this long? (200mm roughly) ?

It seems like no one really answered my concerns on this but told me what is already obvious to me (attach the tv to the studs)
@kyloren - I don't think finding 2 studs in the width of the mount will work.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Well you wouldn't need screws that long as you are not trying to go through all of the material. Obviously you would want to predrill your holes with a smaller bit to allow the lag screws to "bite" into something. Whatever your mount recommends by all means follow that guideline I was just letting you know what I did in a similar situation. I feel very confident that my solution to my problem is solid and sturdy otherwise I would not have done it (obviously a TV crashing down to the ground would be bad) and I made sure that all is secure.

To answer your question about the type of wood I would not plywood (they don't make 3.5" thick plywood anyway so I would go with a hardwood board (oak, walnut, cherry) to span the distance between studs.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you wouldn't need screws that long as you are not trying to go through all of the material. Obviously you would want to predrill your holes with a smaller bit to allow the lag screws to "bite" into something. Whatever your mount recommends by all means follow that guideline I was just letting you know what I did in a similar situation. I feel very confident that my solution to my problem is solid and sturdy otherwise I would not have done it (obviously a TV crashing down to the ground would be bad) and I made sure that all is secure.

To answer your question about the type of wood I would not plywood (they don't make 3.5" thick plywood anyway so I would go with a hardwood board (oak, walnut, cherry) to span the distance between studs.

Regards,

RTROSE
According to the manual - you are pretty much trying to go a majority of the way into wood stud.

As you can see from the picture....it's not just 1.5" deep. It needs to be more. I have to trust what they're saying here naturally

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Studs width's are not always perfect. If you do not trust your stud finder, you can always drill very small pilot holes through the drywall to see if there is a stud behind it. Drywall is only 1/2" or 5/8" in depth so it will not take much.

Most mounts are very flexible for stud locations. As long as you can find 2 studs somewhere within the width of the mount, you will be okay.

Do not use drywall anchors ever. Use the provided bolts only.

Cheers.
I agree that most mounts are designed to accommodate a range of stud locations. I mounted two flat panels during the holiday break. Studs were off center versus the preferred TV location for both, but we were able to screw the mount to the studs and position the TVs as desired.

Could you post a picture of your mount including the plate that is mounted against the wall.

What is the width between the left most and right most mounting holes?

Do the instructions specify a minimum horizontal distance between holes when installing the mount?

Hypothetical, if the mount is 24" wide and you only need mount screws say 16" apart, you have 8" of horizontal flexibility

A cheap alternative to the stud finder is a string and a strong magnet. Use that to find drywall screws. Where you find. Couple drywall screws in the same vertical line, you have found a stud.

If the mount isn't sufficiently flexible, you would need to open the wall to install two horizontal 2x4's between studs. Then you can install a vertical 2x4 between those two horizontal studs where you need support for the left or right side of the mount. I assume the opposite side could be mounted into an existing stud. Finally, repair the drywall.

As you probably know the 2x4 studs are 3.5" deep which provides the depth required by the mount's directions.

Make sense?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm probably unsafe but I had the same issue over my gas fireplace. I screwed in two 3in deck screws (i had on hand) into the 2x6 in the wall. The other two I used drywall toggles (appropriate screws) to hold em in. I think the toggles were the beefy ones. I have no issues and gave it a good tug and applied weight after (fully extended) to verify it was not a hazard.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I'm not big fan of stud finders as a whole. Like someone else posted take one of your smaller drill bits and where the stud finder "thinks" there is a stud drill a very small hole to see if there is actually a stud there. If so then go 16" on either side drill a small hole and check again. Another useful tip is electrical outlets are mounted on studs. Take the cover off find which side the stud is on and then measure from that.

As for mounting the TV follow the directions for sure I would not want to advise you to do any different. I can only tell you what I have done, what works for me, and how I did it. I can tell you that I did not use regular screws to mount the TV to the studs I used lag screws. In all my situations the lag screws have held the TV firmly to the wall without any issues.

I know that with my mounts you do have some leeway with the mounting and then putting the TV on the mount you can slide to one side or the other several inches off center (of the mount) to get the TV where you want.

If none of these ideas appeal to you, then I think (unfortunately for you) that to be absolutely sure what is going on is to peer into the wall to get your final answer.

Maybe something like THIS could help.

I can sense your frustration with the issue, and I'm frustrated that I can't help. Normally I'm a very helpful resourceful type of guy. :cool:

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Banned
613 Posts
FWIW if you have Dish TV they have a full motion wall mount and pro install package for $199.00 for up to 55" maybe bigger TV's depending on the weight with TV replacement and or other damages lifetime warranty if the set falls down if the mount or installation fails . Maybe the other providers may have something similar .

Thier mount only requires one vertical wall stud you can get them on Paybay and Amazon also I think Sanus makes medium mounts like that also .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Everyone,

Rather than punching a hole in my drywall - can someone advise on perhaps getting a wood board that instead is 3.5 inches in depth and just screwing that onto the uneven studs?

I find it ridiculous I'm being told to punch holes in my wall and repair it....this seriously seems very unnecessary.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Rather than punching a hole in my drywall - can someone advise on perhaps getting a wood board that instead is 3.5 inches in depth and just screwing that onto the uneven studs?

I find it ridiculous I'm being told to punch holes in my wall and repair it....this seriously seems very unnecessary.
Someone like home depot or a lumber yard with a phaat band saw can cut a 4X4 down on one side to 3.5" but that's a heavy piece of wood itself at any lenth (and hope it's straight ) maybe get a one wall stud 3- bolt to stud swing mount like I have or have someone (pro) bonded and insured install what U have or a package , you don't want to be fooling around with laminated plywood,plywood or marine plywood if you don't know how that's just more plywood and termite food to deteriorate and fall down anyway .:p

·
Banned
613 Posts
Not if that someone's bright idea is messing up the drywall when it doesn't have to be.
I'm willing to bet he meant A bonded insured PROFESSIONAL that does this all the time and not a day laborer from a Home Depot parking lot or a friend of a friend that isn't established in the trades like home building /remodeling / finish carpenter or installation business ?

If you aren't a Dish TV customer or near one of the appropriate sponsors here maybe try this or whatever service you may have for TV :

Dish Smart Home Services
90% positive ratings (918 reviews) having remodeled two homes ,with all the variables U can run into the that's good for anything having to do with Home services IMO .
http://www.amazon.com/localservices..._sdp_spp_AYLLXNGC2A0UR?sellerID=AYLLXNGC2A0UR

·
Banned
613 Posts
The only way the drywall should get messed up is with a few finishing nail holes poked in to find the center of the studs.
right that's true but on plaster and lath that rates a small drill :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not if that someone's bright idea is messing up the drywall when it doesn't have to be.
I would recommend paying someone to install this for you. Based on the questions you are asking, I do not feel like you have the confidence or knowledge to securely hang your valuable set from the wall.

This is not meant as offensive or critical of your knowledge, simply my honest advice.

Best of luck,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Hi Everyone,

OK, as you wish. Drive over to HD or Lowes. Pick up a piece of 4"x4" douglas fir (actual dimensions are 3.5"x3.5"). See the pictures below that I snapped while at HD this morning. Placed a piece of 2x4 pine on top of the douglas fir for reference.

Ask The Big Orange guys to cut two lengths for you to match the width you need to span the studs you will mount to. Pick up at least 4 7" lag bolts while you're there. Use one piece mounted horizontally for the top screws in your mount and the other for the bottom screws. You will also need a 7" long bit that is appropriate for the lag screws.

If you want a continuous piece of 3.5" thick wood, you'll have to go to a lumber yard and you'll spend a lot more.

Honestly, no one above was telling you what you must do. People were providing options for you to consider.

I would not install a structural beam on the surface of my drywall unless less difficult and more aesthetically pleasing options were ruled out. In my opinion, structure belongs hidden behind the drywall, and I wouldn't want my TV mount 3.5" from the surface of the drywall.

Since any small holes can be easily filled with $2 putty and one's thumb, drilling small holes to find a stud is really a non-issue. And, I drill in a location that will be hidden by the mount. So, no one would ever see the filled holes anyway.

Opening the wall to install a structural beam would be more involved. But, if I went that route, the hole would be cut in the drywall that would be hidden by the mount and TV. Even if the drywall was damaged during the process, a 4'x8' sheet of drywall costs $10. But, the difficulty of the job does depend on one's experience and/or willingness to watch a few YouTube videos and give it a go.

I guess many folks on this dedicated theater forum have demolished, cut, replaced, and finished drywall. So, we would pursue options that appear to frustrate you.

In the end, if you don't feel comfortable with the external structure solution, pay someone capable to do the job right to ensure your TV is not damaged.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts