AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are wall mounting the new tv we just bought and ran into a problem. it looks like the builder of our house used metal studs in a few places, one of them being on the wall we want to mount. The area is a wall on the far side of our living room but also has the garage entrance to the right. We were able to find 1 wood stud about 3 1/2 feet away from the door frame. Where we expected would be another one we found what i guess is a metal stud.

My question is, would I be safe using the mounts in the 1 wood stud and securing the other side to the metal stud w/ molly bolts? TV+mount would be ~60-65lbs and most of the weight would be shifted on the wood stud side anyway.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
How do you know it is a metal stud .. ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im guessing. I am by no means a contractor nor do i play one on tv lol. i can feel myself drill past drywall, hit what seems like a 1/4" layer of wood, then hit metal and pop through to open space. Other than that i can find no other bracing between the door frame and the 1 stud we did find about a little over 3ft away.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Hmmm .. kind of a strange wall cross section ..

If in fact the stud is metal, it would not be a good idea to attempt to support any real weight using that stud .. especially since you don't know the guage of the steel ..

In some cases, a mixed framing job of wood and metal is designed with the wood stud located where things would be hung ..

Tough call ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just came up with an idea. the wall im mounting to is actually shared w/ my garage. On the other side i can clearly see where the studs are since the garage drywall was not painted over very well. I am clearly hitting a stud but its not wood so it must be metal. But this gave me a new idea. What if i drill completely through the stud to the garage side, slide some long carriage bolts through, brace it on the other side w/ a metal plate and fasten it from the other side of the wall? I would think that would give better bracing then molly/toggle bolts or drywall hangers?

·
Registered
431 Posts
A couple of these toggle bolts on the metal stud and you should be good to go. You have to drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the metal stud to insert the hilti "toggler". It clamps the mount, drywall, and stud firmly together.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee915 /forum/post/20859502

I just came up with an idea. the wall im mounting to is actually shared w/ my garage. On the other side i can clearly see where the studs are since the garage drywall was not painted over very well. I am clearly hitting a stud but its not wood so it must be metal. But this gave me a new idea. What if i drill completely through the stud to the garage side, slide some long carriage bolts through, brace it on the other side w/ a metal plate and fasten it from the other side of the wall? I would think that would give better bracing then molly/toggle bolts or drywall hangers?

perfect

1 - 8 of 8 Posts