AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd like any comments form those that have wall mounted their plasmas.

- Did you use a flat, tilt or articulating model? Why?

- Which brand?

We have the articulating model on an Electrograph plasma here at work and I like it very much. I know it costs more, but I would think the advantage of being able to swing the unit out and ease of working on it would be worth it. Is it? I mean, maybe I'm worrying over something that is not worth worrying about. Do you ever need to work on the plasma (cables, new cards, etc) after you get it up and running?

I'm interested in hearing about why you chose your mount and how hard it was to hang it.

Many thanks in advance.

Geoff

·
Registered
191 Posts
I installed Peerless articulating mount because I could swing the panel in the great room to either side. I also pull it out for a more immersed effect; adding bias lighting, the effect is really dramatic.

The only con is that the panel cannot be flush against the wall like a fixed mount.

Installing the mount was easy. I had a tougher time installing the 50" onto the mount.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hamster
I'd like any comments form those that have wall mounted their plasmas.

- Did you use a flat, tilt or articulating model? Why?

- Which brand?

We have the articulating model on an Electrograph plasma here at work and I like it very much. I know it costs more, but I would think the advantage of being able to swing the unit out and ease of working on it would be worth it. Is it? I mean, maybe I'm worrying over something that is not worth worrying about. Do you ever need to work on the plasma (cables, new cards, etc) after you get it up and running?

I'm interested in hearing about why you chose your mount and how hard it was to hang it.

Many thanks in advance.

Geoff
My company installs Plasma's and we've settled on Sanus mounts due to their ease of installation through a good adjustment range, being well made and reasonable price. Peerless makes good mounts too, but the Articulating mount is expensive comparedly.

As for mount type, really depends on the application. We like the Flat look and many times have it recessed in new construction. The Sanus wall mount depth is only 1.25". Being that tight does make cable management challenging. We make interconnect cables, so we cut them to length.

Shouldn't need to do anything behind the Plasma after it's up.

Mounting a Plasma isn't all that hard if your mechanical and can use a tape measure and level. It's not a small job though and will take two people to lift the Plasma onto the mount.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good Thread!

Am getting my 50" 7uy next week.

Already have the premier PCM-100 on its way.

How do you locate the height of the Plasma?

I'd like this installed before the plasma comes.

Also the electrical & wire box. Should it be installed before

the mount is put in. Any ideas on how to minimize the sheetrock replacement when putting the conduit in?

Looking at the pictures the 2" of space does not seem adequate for the line conditioner even a plug mount type. Anyone dealt with this?

Am gonna paint my wall before the mount goes in this weekend.

Also any ideas on getting rid of the monster TV cabinet in the corner?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dusty144
Good Thread!

Am getting my 50" 7uy next week.

Already have the premier PCM-100 on its way.

How do you locate the height of the Plasma?

I'd like this installed before the plasma comes.

Also the electrical & wire box. Should it be installed before

the mount is put in. Any ideas on how to minimize the sheetrock replacement when putting the conduit in?

Looking at the pictures the 2" of space does not seem adequate for the line conditioner even a plug mount type. Anyone dealt with this?

Am gonna paint my wall before the mount goes in this weekend.
Height of plasma is totally personal preference. Some people cut a a piece of cardboard equal to the size of TV and tape it to the wall. Locate your ideal location for the plasma, then work on the mount. My Peerless articulating mount allowed for vertical and horizonal adjustment so the mount does not have to be dead center.

If an electrical box can be put in right behind the plasma, great. Even better if a conduit can be put in place. Wiring concealment is discussed in many previous threads.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd like to ask about mounting a lcd around 40 lbs. to a wall made with steel studs. (in a high rise) Can I through bolt, using the cabling hole to access the nuts inside? Any pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Before I'm going to cut holes in the wall and move an electrical box I'm going to mount mine this weekend and leave it there for a week and see if I'm happy with the location. Don't rush to make drastic changes until you lived with it for a short while. It's easy to spackle some screw holes, not so easy to patch drywall.

·
Registered
163 Posts
although i dont currently have my pioneer wall mounted, ive thought about it for future reference. this thread has great info. can a moderator sticky this thread or merge it with a wall mounting thread?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by achy1234
Good information in this thread. I had another question. What do you to connect the mount to the studs in the wall ?? What kind of screws/bolts etc. ??

thanks

achy
The Mounts typically come with 4 - 3" Hex Head Lag Screws. You may not be able to get screws in 2 Studs, in which case you use 3 or 4 Screws in depending on the size of the Mount in 1 Stud.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by egads
I'd like to ask about mounting a lcd around 40 lbs. to a wall made with steel studs. (in a high rise) Can I through bolt, using the cabling hole to access the nuts inside? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Using a Bolt, Large Washer and Nut would be the best way to mount on Steel Studs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
CWC, since you use Sanus mounts, do you have any experience with the VMAA articulating arm? It looks to be a new model and I'm not even sure its being shipped yet. It seems to be a pretty tight mount in that it shows a 2 1/4" depth from the wall when retracted. Also, it is rated for 130 lbs. My Panasonic is 125 lbs and that worries me a bit about how strong it will be. Any opinions on the strength of these mounts when extended? Thanks all!

Also, there was a post a while back about a wire box for drywall use. Anyone have a link to the site that box was on? I have lost my sticky due to a new computer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ritewinger
CWC, since you use Sanus mounts, do you have any experience with the VMAA articulating arm? It looks to be a new model and I'm not even sure its being shipped yet. It seems to be a pretty tight mount in that it shows a 2 1/4" depth from the wall when retracted. Also, it is rated for 130 lbs. My Panasonic is 125 lbs and that worries me a bit about how strong it will be. Any opinions on the strength of these mounts when extended? Thanks all!

Also, there was a post a while back about a wire box for drywall use. Anyone have a link to the site that box was on? I have lost my sticky due to a new computer.
Just switched to Sanus since the CEDIA show in September and have only installed their 12 degree Tilt Mount (VMPL2). Were using the Peerless Articulating mount, which is very good, but very expensive. The VMAA mount looks and feels extremely strong and should have no problem supporting your 125 lb Panasonic. I pretty sure it's underated at 130lbs to ensure they don't have any failures on displays weighing close to max. rated weight.

I really liked the look of their Articulating mount too. At 3" of depth, it's tighter than Peerless.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the very quick response CWC! I just read the mounting instructions on the Sanus website. In the instructions it reads that the VMAA is meant for plasma tv's up to 125 lbs. I think I'll give them a call next week and ask them about it. While an arm mount is ideal, I don't think I'll actually use it that much but it would be nice in certain instances to be able to pull the plasma out to watch in the kitchen area. And the drawbacks with the VMAA mounting closer to the wall than the Peerless, are limited. The only one being that the mount cannot hold this heavy plasma. Unfortunately that is a pretty significant drawback!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by egads
Go to a hardware store and ask for a toggle bolt or spreading anchor. Make sure its made of metal not plastic. Find stud, Drill a hole a little bigger, insert the anchor and bolt. Do not over tighten.

This way you don't have to take out the sheet rock.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ritewinger
Also, it is rated for 130 lbs. My Panasonic is 125 lbs and that worries me a bit about how strong it will be. Any opinions on the strength of these mounts when extended? Thanks all!
When components are engineered a factor of safety is usually included. Typically this 1.5 times and often it is much more. For reinforced concrete for instance factor of safeties of 3-4.5 are not uncommon.

So if your mount is rated for 130 lbs it is really designed for 130 x 1.5 = 200 lbs approx.

That said I would still not exceed the rated 130 lbs capacity for all the reasons the FOS is there.

I can assure you that you are NOT 5 lbs from failure but more like 75-100 lbs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.