AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about mounting my Elite lcd tv on another wall that I haven't used before. I checked last night and the studs are strangely placed on this wall. It is a short wall though. The back wall where the tv was originally is located on 16 inch studs which was fine because I have a mount with a plate that is 36 inches long. I was able to extend to 3 studs with this.

The studs on the short wall are not evenly set. It looks like there is one stud and then the next one is 29-30 inches later. My question is, could I still hang the tv with just the two studs (two lag bolts in each stud) and not a center stud? My wall plate is long enough to cover the distance. I don't want to have to go the route of installing a 2X4 in the middle just to hit a middle point (mainly because I am going to only be in this house another year or two at most and don't want more work as far as repair when I sell it). I figured one on each side would be enough plus the tv doesn't weight a ton. I have read though that you want a stud in the center of the mount so I don't know if studs on the left and right would be enough.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What's the weight of the tv? There could be something in the wall, pipes, HVAC duct, You can use toggle bolts in the center if there's room inside the wall.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour  /t/1525641/wall-mounting-question-studs-are-far-apart#post_24563464

What's the weight of the tv? There could be something in the wall, pipes, HVAC duct, You can use toggle bolts in the center if there's room inside the wall.

It weighs 66 pounds. I thought about using a couple of toggle bolts in the middle just to be sure but I didn't want to go the whole 2X4 route. I really don't think it will move secured on two studs but I wasn't sure since it technically wouldn't have a middle one.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster  /t/1525641/wall-mounting-question-studs-are-far-apart#post_24563516

If you're referring to the 70" Sharp Elite, I think it's around ~105 pounds? While it's heavy compared to modern led panels, I think two studs should be enough.

It's actually the 60" version so it's only 66 pounds. I had the 70" but didn't have room for it in my new place. I was thinking two would be enough also but wanted to check because I have three in my other wall mount and one of the studs is right in the middle of the mount.

·
Banned
118 Posts
It is perfectly fine to use 2 studs with the bolts on top and bottom for each side. The mount would easily hold the weight even if you only used one stud and two bolts as long as one was on top and the other on bottom. Most installs we do only provide enough bolts for exactly the setup you are considering. Just be absolutely sure you are hitting on studs.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdplasmas  /t/1525641/wall-mounting-question-studs-are-far-apart#post_24563660

It is perfectly fine to use 2 studs with the bolts on top and bottom for each side. The mount would easily hold the weight even if you only used one stud and two bolts as long as one was on top and the other on bottom. Most installs we do only provide enough bolts for exactly the setup you are considering. Just be absolutely sure you are hitting on studs.

Thanks for the reply! I just wasn't sure if I could if there was no center stud for the middle of the mount. I figured it wouldn't matter (and the tv is not that heavy) but I wanted to be sure. Thanks again!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I installed a 55" Sony W900A LED-LCD above the fireplace and found that the studs were on 14" centers. Used two lag bolts at each end with a separation of 28". Didn't even bother adding lag bolts in the center stud, since weight limits for mounts are based on two lag bolts at each end. Any more is overkill and totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm  /t/1525641/wall-mounting-question-studs-are-far-apart#post_24565896

I installed a 55" Sony W900A LED-LCD above the fireplace and found that the studs were on 14" centers. Used two lag bolts at each end with a separation of 28". Didn't even bother adding lag bolts in the center stud, since weight limits for mounts are based on two lag bolts at each end. Any more is overkill and totally unnecessary.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be overkill to add lag bolts to the middle because of the fact I am hitting two studs on each end. Hoping to get it mounted tomorrow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts