AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be mounting a plasma weighing 75lbs above my fireplace. I've already cut a 3x2' access hole in the drywall to run cables, an electrical outlet, and to add/reinforce studs. It gives me good access to the inside wall. I'm not concerned with the mount itself but rather with the wall it'll be bolted to.

This is an alcove (a small closet-like thing) where the fireplace is mounted and the metal chimney runs up inside. It's a wood burning zero clearance burning fireplace with an insulated metal chimney. The framing on the front face of the fireplace is basic framing with two studs coming down to the floor on either side of the FP and one down in the middle which rests on a 2x4 cross brace (header) between the 2 outside studs. Picture a H with an additional line in the middle of the top part of the H. The FP being in the bottom of the H. I'm thinking I should add some additional support on the cross brace header above the FP box. I'll also be adding 2 more studs between the centre stud and each outside stud which will also rest on that same header. The mount is not wide enough to get bolts into the 2 outer studs which is why I have to add something in the middle.

I've also though I should maybe reinforce at the top of each stud where they're nailed to the top plate. Normally there'd be 2 nails through the plate into each stud so I was thinking of toe-screwing a few screws into those as well.

Am I overkilling this? Is a weight of 75lbs no big deal for a wall to carry?

Any good suggestions or procedures to follow? If a picture or 2 will help I can post some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a pro install a pio 101 and i moved the tv that was in its place to another room. he told me when i mount it to make sure at least 2 screws hit studs. The other 2 screws could use toggle bolts. Sounds like you are ok.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Way overkill. Those walls are in most cases holding the house up and you're worried about a 75 TV? The weight is being pulled down to the foundation in a vertical line.

If you look at your kitchen cabinets they contain a hell of a lot more weight, know what is holding 99% of the cabinets in America? 2, 3, or 4 drywall screws.

Just make sure your lags hit the center of the studs and you'll be fine. People stress over this too much.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The studs are fine. The only thing I did was get some Spax lag bolts from HD. They are grade 5 meaning they are 2x as strong as a standard steel lag. 5/16 or 1/4 x 4" is what you need. Drill a 3" pilot hole 1/16 smaller than the lag and your golden.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctmise /forum/post/18170892

I had a pro install a pio 101 and i moved the tv that was in its place to another room. he told me when i mount it to make sure at least 2 screws hit studs. The other 2 screws could use toggle bolts. Sounds like you are ok.

No offense to you but what that guy told you is half assed. Use 4 properly sized lag bolts into the middle of the 2 studs. No "Pro" should use two toggle bolts in drywall when mounting a tv that size.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu /forum/post/18171429

No offense to you but what that guy told you is half assed. Use 4 properly sized lag bolts into the middle of the 2 studs. No "Pro" should use two toggle bolts in drywall when mounting a tv that size.

Thats what i ended up doing. Had to move the mount over a couple of inches from where i wanted it in order hit both studs.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctmise /forum/post/18171844

Thats what i ended up doing. Had to move the mount over a couple of inches from where i wanted it in order hit both studs.

Glad to hear it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
very true about kitchen cabinets and you are in and out of them all day long and by the time you plates and glass and everything else in there I am sure it weighs way more than 75lbs and what are they held up with small little screws, get over it you don't need to beef up the wall its more than enough already.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the kitchen cupboards.....I was thinking about the same thing today too. It just makes me nervous having 80 lbs of new tv hanging on a wall. I ended up adding double 2x4's as a header above the FP and added 2 studs, which were needed to bolt the mount to. I ran all the cables today and added an ac outlet so hopefully I'll get this thing hung tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts