AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in my build thread and did not get any comments. Hoping to get a some more in a separate thread.

I am getting ready to start building the wall panels and am looking for some advice.

The design will be 58" wide by 96" tall. These dimensions are because the room is about 96" tall except for where the stage and riser are. The width is because the room is 19.34' deep (232"). 232" / 4 panels = 58" wide panel. The frame is 5" wide on all sides. The main reason for this width is that I can fit 48" wide OC703 panel without cutting. I can make panels narrower and have 5 panels instead of 4.

I am concerned about having two 5" wide frames side to side and what that would do to the look and acoustics of the room. I am planning to "friction fit" the OC703 to the frame and cover in GOM. I drew a little plan for visualization.

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Are you putting panels on the back wall? Does the 232" take into account the thickness of the back wall panels or do you need to subtract 2" (or are you using 1" OC) for that?

Now, as far as having some 5" frames to go along with the 48" frames I think that could work to your advantage visually. You could use this to break up the space a little depending on your fabric colors. You could stagger some full size frames next to smaller ones.

· Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/15415599

Are you putting panels on the back wall? Does the 232" take into account the thickness of the back wall panels or do you need to subtract 2" (or are you using 1" OC) for that?

That's actually a great question. What's happening on the back wall and reflection points?

Frank

· Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's 1" on the side walls and 2" on the back. It does take into account the 2" thick back wall.

I am doing one color on all the walls, but the front. The color is GOM Desert Sand. The front wall is all black GOM.

In addition the 5" dimension is the thickness of the frame, not a separate frame. The 48" is the internal width between the two sides of the frame. Total width of one entire frame is 58".

· Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater /forum/post/15417879

It's 1" on the side walls and 2" on the back. It does take into account the 2" thick back wall.

I am doing one color on all the walls, but the front. The color is GOM Desert Sand. The front wall is all black GOM.

In addition the 5" dimension is the thickness of the frame, not a separate frame. The 48" is the internal width between the two sides of the frame. Total width of one entire frame is 58".

So just to be clear, you've only got 2" of treatment on the back wall and 1" at the reflection points? Unless I'm messing this up, you're going to need to double the thickness in both of those areas...4" on the back wall and 2" at the reflection points...you'll need more thickness to get some bass trapping benefit on the back wall and to extend the reflection point effectiveness down lower.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

Frank

· Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 /forum/post/15421883

So just to be clear, you've only got 2" of treatment on the back wall and 1" at the reflection points? Unless I'm messing this up, you're going to need to double the thickness in both of those areas...4" on the back wall and 2" at the reflection points...you'll need more thickness to get some bass trapping benefit on the back wall and to extend the reflection point effectiveness down lower.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

Frank

The thicknesses are right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.