AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a wall plate in on my stage and riser and just wanted to know do I need to go buy a box to go on the other side or just drill some pilot holes and screw the plate to the wood and be done with it?

My 2nd question: Is there a store around where I can get MDF custom cut to a size I want? I went to HD the other day and though they have some there that is black like I want, it is either to long or to short. I am making 3 shelves. I guess worse case scenario would be to just get some 1/2 or 3/4" plywood, cut it size and then paint it black.

As for the wall plate question, Instead of cutting a hole the size of the plate, I basically just cut a hole big enough for all the cables to go through comfortably. The back of the adapters are resting in that hole which made the plate sit flesh against the wood. Do I just make the pilot holes and tighten the screws into the wood or do I need a box on the back like you would need if you were running electric?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
HD will cut sheets of MDF for you. Just take it to the guy in the lumber section. You buy the whole sheet, so plan ahead what cut you want.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14209283

HD will cut sheets of MDF for you. Just take it to the guy in the lumber section. You buy the whole sheet, so plan ahead what cut you want.

Not in California. Since MDF is a state listed carcinegon they won't cut it. I think Lowes still does.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
For the plate question its been a while, but for low voltage wiring I think you are fine with what you did.

For floor covering, assuming carpet, are you just planing on taking up the plate running the wires through a hole and screwing it back down through the carpet once installed?

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie /forum/post/14214937

Not in California. Since MDF is a state listed carcinegon they won't cut it. I think Lowes still does.

weird...the several HD's near me have never refused to cut MDF.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmmkam,

Yes I was hoping to do something like that. I will probably need to get a longer screw than what was supplied with the plate to be able to go through the carpet and into the wood though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know all this time, I was looking in the wrong section at HD! What I thought was MDF was not even that! Geeez! I found what I need in the lumber section so I will just get it cut to size. I was looking at some pre made shelves from Rubbermaid I think in the shelving department.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts