AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I have a few questions about power plug and other cables etc.....

With power plugs how is the best way to set up all plug in devices where there are so many to plug in from seperate stereo components to multi video game systems etc in one room.... Is it best to add more power plug sockets in the wall or using multiple adapters will still be fine to use... I am in the middle or purchasing a new house and i want to know how to set up a cinema room with power plugs etc without overloading the room or blowing up the house haha.... So what i am asking is how many power plugs can a room or house handle without possible problems etc.... How have you set up your plugged in devices?

Now with roof mounted projectors is it worth it to have cables run through some tubing to keep mousies and other cable eaters away from the cables getting ruined... what have people here done in their roof?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrodfects /forum/post/18283435

With power plugs how is the best way to set up all plug in devices where there are so many to plug in from seperate stereo components to multi video game systems etc in one room.... Is it best to add more power plug sockets in the wall or using multiple adapters will still be fine to use... I am in the middle or purchasing a new house and i want to know how to set up a cinema room with power plugs etc without overloading the room or blowing up the house haha.... So what i am asking is how many power plugs can a room or house handle without possible problems etc.... How have you set up your plugged in devices?

I assume you are referring to wall warts and standard plugs (mixed?). I would purchase a sturdy strip outlet device which will allow you plug in a number of your devices. Generally, the wall warts (being the power supply for the connected device) will have a low power consumption requirement. Add up the power ratings from the attached devices and make sure you don't exceed 1500VA or 1500 watts attached to a pair of outlets.

Quote:
Now with roof mounted projectors is it worth it to have cables run through some tubing to keep mousies and other cable eaters away from the cables getting ruined... what have people here done in their roof?

Newer ceiling mounted projectors will require a power connection and HDMI connection at the very least. You may want to consider additional video connections if you other sources or the projector has only one HDMI connection. Installation of a conduit is a good idea in any scenario. Keep in mind that you need to make it large enough to pass the connector from HDMI cabling or other cables through and leave space for additional cables unless multiple conduits are installed.

Sounds like you need to keep better track of your pets

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
I assume you are referring to wall warts and standard plugs (mixed?). I would purchase a sturdy strip outlet device which will allow you plug in a number of your devices. Generally, the wall warts (being the power supply for the connected device) will have a low power consumption requirement. Add up the power ratings from the attached devices and make sure you don't exceed 1500VA or 1500 watts attached to a pair of outlets.

Newer ceiling mounted projectors will require a power connection and HDMI connection at the very least. You may want to consider additional video connections if you other sources or the projector has only one HDMI connection. Installation of a conduit is a good idea in any scenario. Keep in mind that you need to make it large enough to pass the connector from HDMI cabling or other cables through and leave space for additional cables unless multiple conduits are installed.

Sounds like you need to keep better track of your pets

So what your saying is, since I have alot of equipment to connect it's best to add some extra power plug wall sockets and keep each one under 1500 watts if for example I plug an 8-way adapter to one of the wall sockets......

With the cable running through the roof I will of course have all the cables I need for HDMI and Component Cables etc to the roof mounted projector and get a big enough tubing to run it all through with extra room just incase I need to replace a lead or add/change something... Oh the mouse thing with eating up cables that was just an example just incase it happens, but I dont have any rodents as yet haha..... The reason I want to use some sort of tubing was just incase I get some sort of rodents oneday and since I am using expensive cables I really dont want to replace them as all my cables are the gold plated "Monster" cables. Just one of my "Monster" HDMI cables cost me around $700 since its 10+ metres for the projector and the highest level of the Monster Series cables. All my HDMI cables are "Monster" which are for my 50" FULL LCD HDTV, Roof mounted Projector, Xbox360, PS3, Set-top Box, Upscaling 1080P DVD player, HD DVD Player and PC with HDMI out etc so there are a few Thousands of dollars worth of HDMI cable there, though most of them won't be running through the roof as I have 8-way HDMI switcher, so pretty much just one HDMI cable going through the roof and a set of Component cables etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
So what your saying is since i have alot of equipment to connect it's best to add some extra power plug points and keep each one under 1500 watts if for example i plug an 8-way adapter to it......

clarification: Multiple plugs or pieces of equipment plugged into a set of outlets should not exceed 1500VA or 1500 Watts.

Quote:
With the cable running through the roof I will of course have all the cables i need for HDMI and Component Cables etc and get a big enough tubing to run it all through with extra room just incase i need to replace a lead or change something...

I would run the power separately...so as to not cause any pulling/safety problems or possible interference with signal cabling

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Quote:
So what your saying is, since I have alot of equipment to connect it's best to add some extra power plug wall sockets and keep each one under 1500 watts if for example I plug an 8-way adapter to one of the wall sockets......
Keep in mind, that’s not just 1500 watts for the plug, that’s for the whole circuit as well. It might be a good idea to have a dedicated circuit run for your gear. Make sure the plug for the projector is on the same circuit.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
374 Posts
Repeat it quietly to yourself....Ceiling, Ceiling, Ceiling.

You're going to waste a lot of money mounting a projector to your roof (rain, snow, sleet, UV, wind damage, etc), almost as much money as you wasted on those "Monster" cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt /forum/post/18286137

Keep in mind, that's not just 1500 watts for the plug, that's for the whole circuit as well. It might be a good idea to have a dedicated circuit run for your gear. Make sure the plug for the projector is on the same circuit.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

That's kinda the stuff I want to find out if I need to add a dedicated curcuit board etc.. That is probably what I might have to do... Everything in the cinema room could just have it's own circuit board...

The power cord for the roof mounted projector will be plugged into the roof next to the projector and not cabled right through the roof to the other side of the room to plug somewhere else. The power cable for it is only around about 30cm-ish.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts