Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I have come to the point where I can not make a decision without consulting the forum....

Regarding wall sconces in a dedicated theater, should we get ones that shoot light up, down, or both?

The room is 15'x18' with two pair of sconces on the side walls and one pair on the back wall.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kevin,

The main thing is to keep the light from hitting the screen.

Other than that light going up creates a nice glow to the room and light going down helps see where you are going. Both would also be good, as long as you don't have to look into any harsh light.

Good luck on the hunt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Art,

We have just started looking and I was hoping this would be one of the 'no brainer' decisions for the HT. My wife is spear heading the lighting choices for the basement and hit me with the "which way do you want the light to shine" question today.

She had asked the lighting folks if they could get any of the HT themed sconces at a more moderate price and the lighting folks are looking into it. In the meantime they recommended sconces by 'Justice Design' in the Ambiance Collection:

http://www.jdg.com/ambi.html

They have a few simple rectangle designs that can be painted if we want to find a painter to help us with the HT theme.....

BTW, your HT looks great! Our room is smaller than yours (15x18) so we will have two rows of four recliners (Berkline 90s w/ auto recline in black) with the back row on a riser. We are going to have fun with the carpet, going with a movie theme (popcorn, movie reels, tickets, ...) and I plan to install a motorized black curtain on the screen wall. We plan to paint the walls a dark grey called 'Day's End' from Benjamin Moore and we will do the ceiling in a dark blue called 'Admiral Blue' also from Benjamin Moore.

We will not have a stage or any columns but we are fairly confident that the silly carpet and front curtain will set the theme nicely. I can't wait for this to be done. The painting starts next week and we should be watching movies by June 1. (Not bad for a project that started the last week of March....) I will post some pictures once the paint is dry....

Cheers,

Kevin

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I went with up - I hate direct light to the eyes. And they look great dimmed. So I guess my answer is either direction, as long as you have great dimmer control.

And Kevin, June 1? I'll congratulate you if you're right! I started in September and was told we'd be done by the end of December.

If I'm lucky, we'll be done by the end of this month. Or mostly done.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm with Capn Randy. It only looks natural when sconces shine upward. If you're depending on them for room light, you want some bouncing off the ceiling. Glare towards the floor does little for lighting the room.

Deane

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine are from Home Depot EXPO. They shine both directions. With dimming its not an issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks! I will put up finished pics, and construction page...I could not have figured out half the stuff without these forums.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry, I digress; I went with "shine up" so as not to blind people sitting below light level, since the room is very narrow...

·
Registered
540 Posts
How about what kind of light bulb should you use. Normal light bulb, GE reveal, halogen & bi-polar halogen. Which one is best for home theater? Does the normal light bulb give out too much yellow light?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Y
How about what kind of light bulb should you use. Normal light bulb, GE reveal, halogen & bi-polar halogen. Which one is best for home theater? Does the normal light bulb give out too much yellow light?
Go with GE Reveal all the way! The PAR 50 (for recessed lighting) are expensive at $6.50 a bulb ( I have 8 in my theater room and 10 in the rest of the basement), but the color of the light is excellent. Standard bulbs are a bit less expensive. I have them in every fixture in my house. I even buy the GE "Daylight" Full Spectrum bulbs for my fluorescent fixtures (including my poster cases).

On time, a recessed bulb went out. I didn't have an extra GE bulb to replace it, but I did have a 'regular' bulb. After installing the 'regular' bulb, you could notice a huge comparison difference in the quality of the other lights. It bothered me so much that I removed the 'regular' bulb immediately. I'd rather have a dark spot in the room than poor quality light!

Just my thoughts...

adam

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My sconces are used for mood lighting so I went with dimmer 40-60w bulbs that are more yellow. I also want them to shine both up and down and they are plugged into an X-10 dimmer. My overhead lights are currently Reveal, but will be switched to halogen once I put up the tracks.

Here is a picture of my sconces on (and they are not actually that bright):
http://forum.**********/photopost/sho...t=1&thecat=500

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Ohh...and the 40-60w bulbs are not noisy when using a dimmer like a 120w would be.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Davy2, did you paint your light fixtures black or did you order them that way? What did you pay for each fixture? If I'm reading the website correctly, that particular fixture with the fire lens in it is only $13.50 less shipping. Is this correct? If so, I'm definitely getting these!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.