AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in the middle of the man cave project at home.

original pics.

ignore the father in law

so far: (pics on the way)
  • ive removed and sealed the door
  • studded the wall
  • ran speaker wire
  • sub woofer receptacle
  • updated all the wiring
  • also placed an outlet and low voltage access for hdmi on screen wall to be behind the screen if i ever decide to wall mount instead of project)

im thinking of placing some wall sconces on either side of the screen on that wall. is that a good idea ?

the wall is 13ft wide and im not 100% sure on my screen size yet.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I wouldn't put sconce on the screen wall. You'll never use them during a movie because of the reflection/wash out. And they get in the way if you want to upgrade your screen.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16946945

I wouldn't put sconce on the screen wall. You'll never use them during a movie because of the reflection/wash out. And they get in the way if you want to upgrade your screen.

+1. I have two pairs of wall sconces in my room, about 50% and 75% toward the back of the room from the screen wall, just by the seating areas. They're dimmable (as are the cans), and I can use them dimmed to about 33% during the movie without diminishing the picture, which is nice for a little ambience. I would think anything closer to the screen would need to be off to really get the best picture possible.

·
Registered
21,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan

+2. And you might find you want a bigger 2.35:1 screen someday, making the sconces in the way. Put them on the side walls!!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If possible, I'd put the lights in the ceiling over the screen before I'd put some on the wall itself. I'm not sure if that's an option for you though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16947098

+1. I have two pairs of wall sconces in my room, about 50% and 75% toward the back of the room from the screen wall, just by the seating areas. They're dimmable (as are the cans), and I can use them dimmed to about 33% during the movie without diminishing the picture, which is nice for a little ambience. I would think anything closer to the screen would need to be off to really get the best picture possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16946945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16948696

+2. And you might find you want a bigger 2.35:1 screen someday, making the sconces in the way. Put them on the side walls!!

thanks guys i think ill pass on putting them to either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie /forum/post/16948890

If possible, I'd put the lights in the ceiling over the screen before I'd put some on the wall itself. I'm not sure if that's an option for you though.

this option would be easier for me. how far out from the screen and what type of placement one centered or one on either side. ?

like this ?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...U/IMG_5153.jpg

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Mine are in the soffit, probably 8" or so out from the wall itself. I centered them equidistant from the centerline of the screen. If you have a look at my build thread in my signature, I have some shots of them that might give you an idea of what you can expect.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
if you put them on the side wall, how far away from the screen will be enough to avoid any type of reflection or washout of the image? im referring to the fact that many keep their sconces on very low while watching a movie so its not 100% dark in the room.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I think that varies by the room size and paint colors that you use as well. I have 3 sconces in my theater and could easily watch a movie with them on at 100%. Even with all 9 of my accent lights on, it's stil a very dark room.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The best answer is to split the front sconces (and any screen spot lights) on their own zone or circuit. They can then be dimmed, or turned off completely while some lights can be left on.

You still might get some reflected light off the front sconces when they are off, if they are close to the screen.

If you have the budget, you should explore some form of programmable lighting, such as a Lutron 31xx series lighting controller and look into zones for lighting. mn_hokie brings up a good point. Dark finished rooms eat up light and most people underestimate their actual lighting needs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts