AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So I need to buy switches in the next week. I'm pre-wiring and think I will use a Homeseer or Home Assistant as my controller.

I'd like to have wireless control of my lights( not sure if there are any other bells and whistles) and I'm not sure if that's enough info to help with feedback on types of switches I should look for.

What else should I look for in switch?

I heard Lutron Caseta's are good.

Any help would be great.

BTW my walls/ceiling are open and I'll be doing some electrical wiring.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
First, select your automation controller,
Then select your lighting control technology (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Lutron etc) that is compatible with your automation controller.
Then select your lighting device dependent on what its role is (3way, single dimmer, fan etc).

Lutron Caseta are good for the price point. RadioRa2 are better but several times the price. Z-Wave and Zigbee open up a whole ecosystem is devices to control that Lutron doesn't serve. Of course you can use both (or all three) in one home if you have a good automation controller.

I am assuming you will be wiring in a standard way ie: high voltage switch on the wall of the room (to be replaced by a Smart Switch) going to the light in the room ceiling (or wherever it is) and not "home run" wiring.

Assume in your wiring that you will be using smart switches and NOT smart bulbs.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Personally, I've used Vera for my controller for nearly a decade. I recently upgraded my VeraLite to a VeraPlus and I'm happy with the updates they made to this device after many years of solid use from it's predecessor. I've reviewed all possible options over the years and I still prefer the Vera ecosystem due to Z-Wave being probably the most universal and inexpensive communication technology. The new controller also includes Bluetooth as well as Zigbee for more flexibility. One of the primary reasons I chose this controller is because everything is done locally with the cloud only needed if you wish to access/manage your device remotely. There is no monthly service fee to access full functionality nor is there any requirement to "call home" to function properly. These are VERY important aspects that most people overlook when designing their smart home automation system. Over the years many of these companies have gone out of business which means you now own an expensive paperweight if it's the company that chose for your ecosystem. Also, it's relatively affordable and user friendly as well.

As far as the switches themselves, make sure you go with Z-Wave are some non-proprietary communication technology as switching out a few dozen switches because you decide to or are forced to change your controller doesn't sound like a good time. I've used offerings from GE, Jasco, Zooz and others. I've had GE switches fail on me (every time just a couple months outside of the warranty period) so I'm done with them. I've had SUPER good luck with Zooz though. I highly recommend them due to cost and reliability. Another killer feature is if you have a 3-way or 4-way light array you can buy a single switch to install and control that circuit. This is unique to Zooz as you generally have to buy one master switch and then however many slave switches you need for that array. They're not cheap either. Say you have a hallway light that has three switches on several lights, you'd need to buy three GE switches at $40-$50 a pop. With Zooz you buy one and wire it into where the main power comes in and you're good to go.

I've got about 80 or so devices on my VeraPlus controller and it works quite well and is relatively affordable. Especially if you buy devices on sale. There's a bit of a learning curve with these systems but I feel that the Vera devices are a lot more user friendly than some of the other offerings. They even offer a controller with security baked in if that's your thing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much is there an overall consensus on a good controller? I was thinking homeseet or home assistant

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
thank you very much is there an overall consensus on a good controller? I was thinking homeseet or home assistant
There is no consensus on what is a "good" automation controller.

For DIY, there is Homeseer, CQC, Home Assistant and myServer as popular and good choices. Certainly I am partial to myServer :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts