AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am still in the setup stages of my CIH setup. When I started planning this build I basically decided to build my frame for my AT screen by simply attaching 2x4s to the walls, ceiling, and floor so that I can have any size screen I want with the only constraint being the size of the front wall.

I mounted my projector and anamorphic lens last night to start measuring out my screen for masking and ended up with the scope size going from wall to wall. If my side walls will be covered in black commando cloth, is there a reason I should not do this? I have never seen anyone do this is why I ask. I really enjoy the large screen which is 151" wide.

·
Registered
27,103 Posts
I did it! 168" wide in my 201" wide room (the frame being 198" wide).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14248494

I did it! 168" wide in my 201" wide room (the frame being 198" wide).

I wish I had your room, 168" would be amazing.

I don't think I explained what I am doing clearly. My room is 151" wide so the 2.35 picture literally goes from one wall to the other. There would be no border on the sides as the side walls would act as the side borders. I would simply mask the top and bottom off. I have not seen this done or heard of anyone doing that on this forum. I am wondering if there is some side affect I am missing by doing that. It looks great at the moment and my walls are yet to be covered so they are still white.

·
Registered
616 Posts
As long as the side walls are covered with a good velvet or some equally "dead" material it should be fine with two qualifiers.

With the image running right up to the edge any reflections are likely to be distracting unless you have truly no reflection.

Unless your side walls and top and bottom borders are made from the same material the difference in the perceived texture/color may be distracting.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I see he has the IN83 which is one of the brightest calibrated 1080 single chip DLP's available so he should get good results.

I agree with its not essential to have a light canon but a PJ with 250-350 calibrated lumens is going to look a bit dim on that size screen.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I come to within one quater inch from my wall 136" wide and 58" high.

Works great just make sure you don't have reflective surfaces. We are honking about 37 ft Lamberts. Blows away the movie theater.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the input.

Yes I have the IN83 and although I don't need all 1500 lumens I do want to maintain about 700-800 lumens over the life of the bulb. I am currently at about 130 hours and with the bulb on low power and IRIS at 55 I am at about 720 lumens which in a fully light controlled room works well. I will be covering the walls and ceiling with black comando cloth which is a very non-reflective black fabric. It is not as black as black velvet but it works well.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Mine takes up the full width of my wall, with the exception of the screen border. Of course, it's only 9 1/2', but I have maximized the size.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'd like to go scope but the RS1 doesn't really put out enough light to fill a 12' wide screen.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/14260080

Ultimate wall to wall.

Wolfgang Mayer 23' wide.

NICE!!! So long as you have between 30 and 40 feet of room depth...

Mark

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I did mine almost wall to wall I have about 8 inch's on either side

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Now I have screen envy

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
i thought about wall to wall (i'm looking to go cih) but the velvet on the side walls might kill the high frequencies from your speakers and create a room that is too dead

·
Registered
789 Posts
Man that 23 footer is crazy!

As for my meger setup. I'm pretty close to full width. I've got about 7 inches or less on each side of my screen.

Forgot to include my specs on my original post. My room is only 143 inches wide. I'm using a little over 129" wide screen (width includes 2.5" frame) in there. I have my first row at around 9.5' to 10'. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Actually so do my little ones and my wife. Our Second row just collects dust most of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts